GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 10:20
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
ganand wrote:
Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have air-conditioning, 50 percent have a sunporch, and 30 percent have a swimming pool. If 5 of the houses have all three of these amenities and 5 have none of them, how many of the houses have exactly two of these amenities?

(A) 10
(B) 45
(C) 50
(D) 55
(E) 65

We can create the following equation:

Total houses = number with air conditioning + number with sunporch + number with pool - number with only two of the three things - 2(number with all three things) + number with none of the three things

150 = 0.6(150) + 0.5(150) + 0.3(150) - D - 2(5) + 5

150 = 90 + 75 + 45 - D - 10 + 5

150 = 205 - D

D = 55

Answer: D

Dear Scott

Thanks for a detailed response, I always like your responses.

I need your help though, if you could please advice, why are we using 2(5) in the equation. I understand 5 is for people who are doing all three activities but multiplication by 2?

Frankly, I have made similar error in other question as well, not having understood the secret of multiplication by 2?

Thank You
Abhinav
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 19:27
proabhinav wrote:
ganand wrote:
Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have air-conditioning, 50 percent have a sunporch, and 30 percent have a swimming pool. If 5 of the houses have all three of these amenities and 5 have none of them, how many of the houses have exactly two of these amenities?

(A) 10
(B) 45
(C) 50
(D) 55
(E) 65

Total houses = number with air conditioning + number with sunporch + number with pool - number with only two of the three things - 2(number with all three things) + number with none of the three things

150 = 205 - D

D = 55

Dear Scott

Thanks for a detailed response, I always like your responses.

I need your help though, if you could please advice, why are we using 2(5) in the equation. I understand 5 is for people who are doing all three activities but multiplication by 2?

Frankly, I have made similar error in other question as well, not having understood the secret of multiplication by 2?

Thank You
Abhinav

Notice that in a 3-circle Venn diagram, when we add each individual circle, we include the “triple overlap” three times since each circle has the “triple overlap.” However, we only can count it once, so we have to subtract 2 times whatever number in the “triple overlap.”

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 14:30
deethompson wrote:
Please kindly post a video solution. I cannot seem to understand where 2(5) came from. I seem to get the other workings but not sure about the 2(5).

JeffYin wrote:
If anyone is looking for 3-set Venn Diagram questions to practice on from the Official Guide, I have compiled a list at the following link:

On this question, while I would still draw the Venn Diagram myself, the key is to know the formula for three-set Venn Diagrams that has been mentioned in this thread:

Total = Group1 + Group2 + Group3 - (sum of 2-group overlaps) - 2*(all three) + None

Then, all we need to do is plug in the numbers we are given (converting percents to numbers) and solve for the sum of 2-group overlaps, because that is what the question is asking us for.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you want me to post a video solution!

Hi,
I am sending the attachment of a solution. Here, you can see the detailed explanation of how 2(5) came.
Hope it helps
PFA
Attachments

File comment: sorry about handwriting.
hope you can get easily!

venn_diagram.jpg
venn_diagram.jpg [ 185.47 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.24

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:40
ganand wrote:

(A) 10
(B) 45
(C) 50
(D) 55
(E) 65

150 = 205 - D

D = 55

Hi Scott,
I follow your solutions very closely. And this is an optimum way to work out the problem. I only have a question that why have you taken all three houses i.e 5 multiplied by 2?
Is there something that I missed in the question?

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 18:59
Shef08 wrote:

Hi Scott,
I follow your solutions very closely. And this is an optimum way to work out the problem. I only have a question that why have you taken all three houses i.e 5 multiplied by 2?
Is there something that I missed in the question?

Posted from my mobile device

I am guessing it is clear that there are 90 houses with AC, 75 houses with sunporch and 45 houses with swimming pool. Some houses have two of the above amenities, some have all three while some have none. Let's see what happens when we add all three: The houses that have exactly two of the above amenities will be counted twice; for instance, when you add 90 houses with AC and 75 houses with sunporch and find 90 + 75 = 165, any house with both AC and sunporch has been double counted. The same is true for all other choices of two amenities. Since every house with exactly two of the amenities has been double counted, we subtract the sum of the houses with exactly two of the amenities so that the sum includes each house only once. The reason we multiply the number of houses with all three amenities by 2 before subtracting is very similar: Every house that has all three amenities has been represented three times in the sum; for instance, if house H has all three of the amenities, when you add 90 + 75 + 45, house H is one of the 90 houses with AC, one of the 75 houses with sunporch and one of the 45 houses with swimming pool. As you can see, house H is counted exactly three times, but we would like the summation to contain only one count of house H. That's why we subtract 2 times the number of houses with all three amenities from the sum 90 + 75 + 45.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 18:59

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Of the 150 houses in a certain development, 60 percent have

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics