Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:18 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [12]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Re: Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one -- massive eruptions, [#permalink]
JohnAHD wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
These are my reasoning

Ques3-The primary purpose of the passage is to:

point out the differences between two geological events
-> incorrect.
At 2nd paragraph, we can see the sentence 'Like massive eruption, ~'
: It means that the purpose of passage is not point out difference
discuss the origins of a class of natural occurrences
-> Not mentioned about the origins.
examine a controversial scientific viewpoint
-> incorrect. This passage just explains about phenomenons. There is no viewpoint.
provide a brief chronological outline of a series of cataclysmic events
-> incorrect. There is no chronological ouline.
give an overview of two related phenomena
-> correct. This is only left thing.

I'm afraid I don't agree with this. The answer might be correct, but I cannot empathize with the argument here.

First: If we are to rely on precise extracts, what more than the very beginning of the text! "Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one ... actually fits". I even consider this more determining than a phrase mid/paragraph.

Second: Precisely your quoted part of the text seems to further the comparisons: "Like massive eruptions, LIPs have been linked to extinctions, though less conclusively.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel this question in particular is not up to par with something built by GMAC.

Looking forward to debate it further!

I also picked A and can't really understand yet why E is the better option.

It is true that the passage isn't exclusively pointing out differences between the two types of volcanoes but this is the main focus imo.

To me, an overview is a bit more of a wholesome description and we actually do find quite a few facts about the two types of volcanoes. Maybe that is the explanation for the correct answer.

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one -- massive eruptions, [#permalink]
HG0815 wrote:
These are my reasoning

Ques 1- According to the passage, the eruption of a flood basalt plateau could lead to

A) the collapsing of land into a magma chamber
-> incorrect
This is cause of 'massive eruption'
B) a change in the composition of seawater
-> correct
a flood basalt plateau connected to LIP(Large igneous province)
2nd paragraph explaine about LIP.
Last sentence of 2nd paragraph explained that 'LIP can also reduce the amount of oxygen in seawater to a dangerously low level'
C) the creation of a mantle plume
-> incorrect
This is not result of LIP, but cause of LIP.
Also, there is a word 'perhaps', so we also cannot assure that mantle plume is absolute cause of LIP
D) a volcanic winter
-> incorrect.
This is about 'massive eruption'
E) the wide dissemination of pyroclastic matter
-> incorrect
This is about result of 'massive eruption'

Ques 2- Question Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

A) The eruption at Lake Toba created a caldera.
-> correct. This is about contents of 1st paragraph
B) Most people would not think of massive eruptors as volcanoes.
-> incorrect. It is possible or not.
C) The force of a meteorite hitting the Earth may be responsible for mantle plumes rising to the lithosphere.
-> Both are cause of 'massive eruption'
D) LIPs have been linked to fewer extinction events than have massive eruptions.
-> Not mentioned. We cannot know about this.
E) Massive eruptors do not release sulfate gases.
-> Not mentioned. We cannot know about this.

-> incorrect.
-> incorrect. This passage just explains about phenomenons. There is no viewpoint.

Ques 4- Each of the following is described as characteristic of some volcanoes EXCEPT

A) the creation of mountains
-> 2nd sentence of 1st paragraph said 'Unlike lesser volcanoes, massive eruption do not form mountains'
It means that lesser volcano forms mountains.
So A is no problem
B) formations that exist for millions of years after a volcano has been active
-> 4th sentance of 1st paragraph said 'These calderas can last for millions of years after the volcanic activity has subsided'
So B is no problem
C) an overheating of the atmosphere
-> Except!!
No overheating!!
D) very large oceanic provinces
-> LIP forms in oceans ,and is size of continents.
So D is no problem
E) eruptions that have been fatal to humans
-> 'Massive eruptions' killed about 60% of the human population.
So E is no problem

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello,

I have a doubt in 4th question

The stimulus says "LIPs release sulfate gas, which becomes sulfate acid in the atmosphere, absorbing heat and causing the temperature to drop precipitously"

Isn't this supposed to be a characteristic ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
one more question for the same passage
According to the passage, which of the following would be true of a supervolcano that ejects 800 cubic kilometers of pyroclastic material?

It would be classified as a large igneous province.
It would create a mountain.
It would be classified as a lesser volcano.
It would form on the margin between an ocean and a continent.
It would cause a flood basalt eruption
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
globaldesi wrote:
According to the passage, which of the following would be true of a supervolcano that ejects 800 cubic kilometers of pyroclastic material?

IMO- C

B is extreme. Instead if it were worded as "It may create a mountain", it could be a correct answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1732 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks

Answer to the question
When a Specific question includes a statistic, the question is doing you a favor by pointing you to something that should stand out in the passage. Numbers, capitalized proper nouns, italicized text...these things are very easy to find if you need to go find them. So here, with the question asking about 800 cubic kilometers, you should scan for numbers in the text. All the numbers are in the first paragraph, and the first number cited is in the units of cubic kilometers. The correct answer hinges on that definition.

You're told that "Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one -- massive eruptions, which eject at least 1,000 km3 of pyroclastic material..." This sentence defines that there are two types of supervolcanoes, and then tells you that one of them is for eruptions of over 1,000 cubic kilometers. Since the supervolcano in question is less than that, at 800 cubic kilometers, you know that it's "the other" type.

That type is defined in the second paragraph: "The other type of supervolcano, a large igneous province (LIP)..." This means that A must be true - the 800 km3 supervolcano must then be a large igneous province.

Among the other answer choices, choices B and C are incorrect for similar reasons: this less-than-1,000-km3 volcano isn't defined as a "lesser volcano." You're told that it's a supervolcano, and then that the larger (> 1,000 km3) supervolcanoes are "unlike lesser volcanoes" but there is no direct tie between a < 1,000 km3 supervolcano and a "lesser volcano."

Choice D includes one of there places that a LIP could form, so that is not necessarily true of this particular LIP. And choice E mistakes the cause and effect: LIPs are caused by flood basalt eruptions, but choice E says that this LIP would cause such an eruption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Masterscorp wrote:
JohnAHD wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
These are my reasoning

-> incorrect.

I'm afraid I don't agree with this. The answer might be correct, but I cannot empathize with the argument here.

First: If we are to rely on precise extracts, what more than the very beginning of the text! "Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one ... actually fits". I even consider this more determining than a phrase mid/paragraph.

Second: Precisely your quoted part of the text seems to further the comparisons: "Like massive eruptions, LIPs have been linked to extinctions, though less conclusively.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel this question in particular is not up to par with something built by GMAC.

Looking forward to debate it further!

I also picked A and can't really understand yet why E is the better option.

It is true that the passage isn't exclusively pointing out differences between the two types of volcanoes but this is the main focus imo.

To me, an overview is a bit more of a wholesome description and we actually do find quite a few facts about the two types of volcanoes. Maybe that is the explanation for the correct answer.

What do you think?

Hey I picked A too but I think the OA is quite correct
(A) point out the differences between two geological events = Since supervolcanoes are ONE geological event and then it is classified into two types in the passage,
We are left with choice (E) i.e. give an overview of two related phenomena :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Of the two types of supervolcanoes, only one -- massive eruptions, [#permalink]
Dear experts/ Sajjad1994 , please confirm and change the OA of Qn#5 to C. I don't think that option A should be the correct answer. Thanks.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33694 [2]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos