Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [13]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Often credited as the founder of English literature, Geoffrey Chaucer [#permalink]
The answer is C for a few reasons:
1. It puts the conjunction of "and" in the right place connecting the two contributions of Geoffrey Chaucer
2. The comma is retained to put a pause between the two contributions and the part about using it
3. Parallelism is maintained. Since the sentence starts off with using the form "contributed" in the first part the second part will also have the similar form of "extended"

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Often credited as the founder of English literature, Geoffrey Chaucer [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sidoknowia wrote:
Often credited as the founder of English literature, Geoffrey Chaucer both contributed to a growing canon of English literature, extended the capabilities of the language, and using it to invent a new poetic meter.

(A) literature, extended the capabilities of the language, and using it

(B) literature, extended the capabilities of the language, and used it

(C) literature and extended the capabilities of the language, using it

(D) literature, extending the capabilities of the language and using it

(E) literature and, extending the capabilities of the language, using it

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Both tells you from the beginning that Chaucer did two things but the original sentence gives you three and, as if that weren't bad enough, the three aren't even expressed in parallel structures. Eliminate (A), and (B) as well for mimicking that error. (D) is out too because it doesn't offer a second accomplishment to parallel contributed. (C) and (E) give you the right number of elements, but (E) isn't parallel (extending doesn't match contributed) so take (C).

When an 800 test taker finds the original sentence confusing, he uses the nonunderlined portion to tell him what the underlined portion must include.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts