It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 353

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 09:11
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:29) correct 54% (01:23) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying to make a new plan for Jan 1991. However, he did not have a new calendar that included Jan 1991. Then, in order to match a new plan for Jan 1991, which of following months of 1990 should he look at?

A. March B. April C. May D. June E. July

Can someone explain how to solve this in easy approach!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 472

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 246

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 09:57
Let us assume 31st of Dec, 1989 was a Sunday and 1st of Jan, 1990 was a Monday. As 1990 wasn't a leap year, so number of days in 1990 = 365.

Now 365 mod 7 = 1. That means, 365th day of the year 1990, i.e. 30/12/1990, was a Monday
(if [day of the year] mod 7 = 0 then its day will be same as 31st of Dec, 1989. ex. 7th Jan, 14th Jan and so on)
Similarly if [day of the year] mod 7 = 1 then its day will be same as 1st of Jan, 1990. ex 8th Jan, 15th Jan and so on)

As we now know 365th day of the year 1990, i.e. 30/12/1990, was a Monday, so 1st of Jan, 1991 will be a Tuesday.

Now, we have to find out which month among the options has 1st of that month as a Tuesday.

Let's start with option A:
1st of March is 31(Jan)+28(Feb)+1 day of the year = 60. So, 60 mod 7 = 4. So, 1st of March was a Thursday.
So option A is out.

Option B.
1st of April is 31(Jan)+28(Feb)+31(March)+1 day of the year = 91. So 91 mod 7 = 0. So, 1st of April was a Sunday.
Option B is out.

Option C.
1st of May is 31(Jan)+28(Feb)+31(March)+30(April)+1 day of the year = 121. So 120 mod 7 = 2. So, 1st of May was a Tuesday.
Hence, we have got our answer.

Answer C. Day of 1st of May, 1990 is same as Day of 1st of Jan, 1991.


----------------------------------------

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)
_________________

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 10

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7869

Kudos [?]: 18503 [6], given: 237

Location: Pune, India
Re: On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 21:23
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
smartguy595 wrote:
On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying to make a new plan for Jan 1991. However, he did not have a new calendar that included Jan 1991. Then, in order to match a new plan for Jan 1991, which of following months of 1990 should he look at?

A. March B. April C. May D. June E. July

Can someone explain how to solve this in easy approach!


You need to find the month which will replicate the month of Jan 1991. This will happen when the number of days between the 1st of that month and 1st Jan are a multiple of 7.
Each month has at least 28 days which is a multiple of 7.
Start from July (option (E)) - July has 3 additional days. August has 3. Sep has 2. Oct has 3. Nov has 2. Dec has 3.
3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 16
June has 2 additional days so 16+2 = 18
May has 3 additional days so 18+3 = 21

Starting from May 1, the number of days is a multiple of 7 till Jan 1991 so Jan calendar will mirror the May calendar.

Answer (C)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18503 [6], given: 237

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 30 Apr 2017
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Re: On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 13:31
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying to make a new plan for Jan 1991. However, he did not have a new calendar that included Jan 1991. Then, in order to match a new plan for Jan 1991, which of following months of 1990 should he look at?

A. March B. April C. May D. June E. July

Can someone explain how to solve this in easy approach!


You need to find the month which will replicate the month of Jan 1991. This will happen when the number of days between the 1st of that month and 1st Jan are a multiple of 7.
Each month has at least 28 days which is a multiple of 7.
Start from July (option (E)) - July has 3 additional days. August has 3. Sep has 2. Oct has 3. Nov has 2. Dec has 3.
3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 16
June has 2 additional days so 16+2 = 18
May has 3 additional days so 18+3 = 21

Starting from May 1, the number of days is a multiple of 7 till Jan 1991 so Jan calendar will mirror the May calendar.

Answer (C)




Hi
this question needs one knows about numbers of the months in each month, which is not ordinary for internationals!
is it possible we see such question in real GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 7869

Kudos [?]: 18503 [0], given: 237

Location: Pune, India
Re: On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 20:39
soodia wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying to make a new plan for Jan 1991. However, he did not have a new calendar that included Jan 1991. Then, in order to match a new plan for Jan 1991, which of following months of 1990 should he look at?

A. March B. April C. May D. June E. July

Can someone explain how to solve this in easy approach!


You need to find the month which will replicate the month of Jan 1991. This will happen when the number of days between the 1st of that month and 1st Jan are a multiple of 7.
Each month has at least 28 days which is a multiple of 7.
Start from July (option (E)) - July has 3 additional days. August has 3. Sep has 2. Oct has 3. Nov has 2. Dec has 3.
3 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 16
June has 2 additional days so 16+2 = 18
May has 3 additional days so 18+3 = 21

Starting from May 1, the number of days is a multiple of 7 till Jan 1991 so Jan calendar will mirror the May calendar.

Answer (C)




Hi
this question needs one knows about numbers of the months in each month, which is not ordinary for internationals!
is it possible we see such question in real GMAT?


You mean that do we need to know the number of days in each month? Yes, it is expected of us to know. The digital world all across follows the same calendar and considering that it is an online exam, knowledge of this calendar is pretty basic.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18503 [0], given: 237

Re: On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2017, 20:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

On the 25th of November in 1990, John was trying

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.