It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128551 [0], given: 12180

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 05:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:25) correct 39% (01:25) wrong based on 814 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinate t. Is t < 0?

(1) -1 < r < 0
(2) The distance between R and T is equal to r^2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128551 [0], given: 12180

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 109 [6], given: 323

GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinate t. Is t < 0?

(1) -1 < r < 0: Tells us r is a (negative) proper fraction
Does not tell us anything about the coordinates of t. Hence INSUFFICIENT

(2) The distance between R and T is equal to r^2:

If r is +ve and >1 t can be positive or negative
If r is +ve and <1 t will be positive since square of a proper fraction is less than the fraction itself
If r is -ve and <-1 t can be positive or negative
If r is -ve and >-1 t will be negative since square of a proper fraction is less than the fraction itself

Multiple cases hence INSUFFICIENT

Combining, it conforms to case 4.

Hence Ans = C

Appreciate any KUDOS given ! :)

Last edited by rishi02 on 17 Jun 2016, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 109 [6], given: 323

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [4], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS

(1) -1 < r < 0

r can take values from -0.99 to -.01 approx
if r = -0.99 then distance between r an t is r^2 = .98 the absolute value is the distance which can be both right side and left side. But in whichever case it will less than 0. Hence C is the answer.

Kindly press the Kudos to appreciate my post !! :-)

Kudos [?]: 47 [4], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 21:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1) -1 < r < 0

This statement by itself is insufficient as it does not establish any relationship with t.

2) the distance between r and the t is = r^2

| t-r | = r^2

When t - r >=0 --> t >= r

t - r = r^
t = r^2 + r
t = r (r+1) ---------- eq 1

When t - r < 0 --> t < r

- t + r = r^2
t = r (1-r) ------------ eq 2

Insufficient

Taking 1 and 2 together

eq1 --> t = negative for the given value of r.

And as per the condition of the case t >= r

eq2 --> t = negative for the given value of r

And as per the condition of the case t < r

Either ways t < 0 in negative.
Sufficient

C is the correct answer

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

KUDOS is great way to help those who have helped you.

THE KILL SET - 700 level Sets quetions

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 02:08
LightYagami wrote:
1) -1 < r < 0

This statement by itself is insufficient as it does not establish any relationship with t.

2) the distance between r and the t is = r^2

| t-r | = r^2

When t - r >=0 --> t >= r

t - r = r^
t = r^2 + r
t = r (r+1) ---------- eq 1

When t - r < 0 --> t < r

- t + r = r^2
t = r (1-r) ------------ eq 2

Insufficient

Taking 1 and 2 together

eq1 --> t = negative for the given value of r.

And as per the condition of the case t >= r

eq2 --> t = negative for the given value of r

And as per the condition of the case t < r

Either ways t < 0 in negative.
Sufficient

Very nicely done. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 79

3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1102 [3], given: 884

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 00:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question: Is t negative?

St1: -1 < r < 0 --> Clearly insufficient

St2: \(r - t \geq {0}\)
Possible solutions: 1) +ve - (+ve)
2) -ve - (-ve)
3) +ve - (-ve)
Not Sufficient

Combining St1 and St2: We know that r is negative --> Only possible solution is -ve - (-ve) --> t < 0.
Sufficient.

Answer: C

Kudos [?]: 1102 [3], given: 884

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 835 [4], given: 2

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

(1) -1 < r < 0

We are given that on the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinate t, and we need to determine whether t < 0.

Statement One Alone:

-1 < r < 0

Statement one tells us that r is a negative proper fraction. However, without knowing anything about t, statement one is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

The distance between R and T is equal to r^2.

The distance between two values on the number line is the absolute value of the difference between the two values. Thus statement two gives us the equation |r - t| = r^2. However, without knowing anything about r and t, we can’t determine whether t is less than zero. For instance, r could be 2 and t could be -2; or r could be -2 and t could be 2. In each of the cases, |r - t| = 4 = r^2; but in one case t > 0 and in the other t < 0. Statement two is not sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

Using statements one and two, we know that r is a negative proper fraction and |r - t| = r^2. Thus, r - t = r^2 OR r - t = -r^2. Solving each of these for t, we get: t = r - r^2 OR t = r + r^2.

Since r is a negative proper fraction, no matter what the value of r is, t will always be a negative number. For instance, if r = -1/2, then r^2 = 1/4 and t will either be -1/2 - 1/4 = -3/4 or -1/2 + 1/4 = -1/4.

The reason why t cannot be positive is that when we square r (a negative proper fraction), the value of r^2 (though positive) will be less than the absolute value of r. Recall that t = r - r^2 or t = r + r^2. When a positive proper fraction with a smaller absolute value is added to (or subtracted from) a negative proper fraction with a larger absolute value, the sum (or difference) will always be less than zero.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 835 [4], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 84

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 18:12
Thanks. can you please explain this in context of the problem?

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

When a positive proper fraction with a smaller absolute value is added to (or subtracted from) a negative proper fraction with a larger absolute value, the sum (or difference) will always be less than zero.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 84

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 17:07
[quote="Bunuel"]On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinate t. Is t < 0?

Can someone help? I keep on seeing this explained in questions, but I am not getting it ("Point R has coordinate r"). Can someone give me a break down of what this is saying. EX: on an xy plane point Q could be at (1,0). It's x coordinate is 1, and it's Y coordinate is 0....

what is ("Point R has coordinate r") saying? can you give me an example if it were in number format?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 46

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128551 [1], given: 12180

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gzimmer wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Can someone help? I keep on seeing this explained in questions, but I am not getting it ("Point R has coordinate r"). Can someone give me a break down of what this is saying. EX: on an xy plane point Q could be at (1,0). It's x coordinate is 1, and it's Y coordinate is 0....

what is ("Point R has coordinate r") saying? can you give me an example if it were in number format?

It means that point R is at r on the number line. For example if r = -3, then we'd have the below case:
Attachments

MSP771229ab39762b67b1000004e1c46g1e825775i.gif
MSP771229ab39762b67b1000004e1c46g1e825775i.gif [ 661 Bytes | Viewed 3836 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128551 [1], given: 12180

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 11:26
FightToSurvive wrote:

(1) -1 < r < 0

r can take values from -0.99 to -.01 approx
if r = -0.99 then distance between r an t is r^2 = .98 the absolute value is the distance which can be both right side and left side. But in whichever case it will less than 0. Hence C is the answer.

so the key is that squaring a fraction always results in a smaller number... right ?

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 09:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can you please tell me what is the difficulty level of this problem? I find it hard to answer these kinds of questions and not really able to gauge myself where I stand in my preparation if I am not able to answer these type of questions. I have my exam scheduled this september end.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 09:58

On the number line, point R has coordinate r and point T has coordinat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap