Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: Over burdening recommenders? [#permalink]
I too feel worried about this aspect.I applied to only one school in R1.Overall,I will be applying to 4 schools.

My recommenders said they are willing to write few more rec letters for me.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
I applied to 6 schools and I rotated 5 recommenders for 6 school applications.

I tried my best so each recommender has no more than 3 to write.

I also told each recommender (before the whole process got started), that since rec ltr forms are similar in nature for many schools, they can use pretty much same template unless they notice significant variance.

But in my opinion, you already asked for 5 from same people (i am assuming). Asking same exact people to write 4? I don't think it's a wise decision. In fact, they might put less effort to just fire away next 4 they have to write.
Current Student
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Agreed that it's very person-specific. When I send the email, I will definitely make clear that I fully expect them to largely re-use the letters they've already written, and worst comes to worst, that they can submit a generic rec letter for all of them (at least in my boss's case). But from having looked at the various rec forms for schools online, they are definitely different from school to school if you ask me.

ninkorn, how did you get around your current supervisor not having to write one of your rec's for all 6?

I just re-read the '7 phases' post and couldnt stop laughing at how much I embody step #6 right now. U. of Phoenix probably has a pretty decent-sized alumni network....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:

ninkorn, how did you get around your current supervisor not having to write one of your rec's for all 6?

I just re-read the '7 phases' post and couldnt stop laughing at how much I embody step #6 right now. U. of Phoenix probably has a pretty decent-sized alumni network....

I think i posted somewhere earlier about how my job at Big 4 doesn't actually have a specific boss like everyone. I have partners assgined for every client/assignment. More than 3 years at E&Y exposed me to at least 20 different partners/senior managers etc etc. So I have lots of choices at disposal without notifying my current assigned partner. (Hell, most of the time the partners I work with now don't even know which assignment I am working on)
Current Student
 Q48  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:

I think i posted somewhere earlier about how my job at Big 4 doesn't actually have a specific boss like everyone. I have partners assgined for every client/assignment. More than 3 years at E&Y exposed me to at least 20 different partners/senior managers etc etc. So I have lots of choices at disposal without notifying my current assigned partner. (Hell, most of the time the partners I work with now don't even know which assignment I am working on)

Makes sense then. I'd do the same if I was in your spot. But I've found a lot of apps will make you write a specific essay about why if you don't include your current/recent boss as a recommender, it's that important. Somehow I don't think "I already made him/her write a bunch of recommendations for other schools" as an excuse will make the AdCom feel their school is high on one's list :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Most of mine did 4-5 each (I did five schools but some only wanted 2 recs), and I definitely feel like they were burdened quite a bit, one of mine mentioned that they spent an hour writing each one. If I did more schools in R2 I would ask different people (except for my direct manager who would have to write more).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
JReasons against: My rec's already put a lot of time into my first 5 and I'm sure have better things to do over the holidays. And I'm sure they'll wonder why someone really needs to submit 10 applications.

My 2 cents is that having written 5 essays is already a lot of work. Think about the time it takes for you to write the b-school essays. They probably go through the same process, albeit, with less stress.

It sounds like you want to apply for 5 more schools, I think writing 5 more essays in one month during the holiday season is pushing it. Furthermore, are you going to have enough time to put together strong application for 5 schools in a month?

Many schools gives out interview late, so don't be discouraged. If you really want apply for back ups, I think it'll be better to find another recommender.
GMAT Club Bot