It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 18:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over burdening recommenders?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11
Over burdening recommenders? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:50
Just thought I'd throw this out there. So I've already fired off 5 applications, and though everything's gone reasonably smoothly so far, I'm starting to think of contingency plans in case those 5 (4 of which have <20% acceptance rates and the other, Duke, didn't offer me an interview) don't pan out. Since I obviously don't want to get stuck competing against a stacked deck in various school's round 3's, I know I need to apply R2. That said, it will only be a matter of 2 weeks or so between when I get my first R1 decisions back and when the R2 apps are due, and said 2 weeks are right in the middle of the holiday season.

Therefore I ask, is it unreasonable to send an email next week 'bracing' my recommenders for the possibility of having to write 5 more rec's, but also stating I won't know for sure if they'll be needed until Dec 22 or so?

Reasons for: Being a Peace Corps volunteer that's returning to the US in June of next year when I'll be 28, I think this is clearly my 'peak value' year. I can't see myself suddenly building a stronger app next year, and I really don't see the point of working somewhere just for a year either.
-As a PCV, I can get most if not all of my application fees waived. For every app I submit, I am increasing my percentages, with little recourse. I am confident that I can submit a quality application for each.
-These rec's are clearly the best ones for me, 1 is my current boss and the other is well-versed in app writing / knows me well

Reasons against: My rec's already put a lot of time into my first 5 and I'm sure have better things to do over the holidays. And I'm sure they'll wonder why someone really needs to submit 10 applications.

Thoughts? And yes, both recommender's have already received a nice amazon gift card for their work :wink:

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Over burdening recommenders? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 10:56
I think it depends on your recommenders. I only applied to two places, partially (a small part) because I didn't want to burden one of my recommenders with more than two recommendations. Already having done five each, maybe yours will see it as a fairly easy process at this point.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 11:05
Rca makes two good points.

1) It will depend on your recommenders and their own personality/schedule/etc
2) They may find it easy since they can most likely just leverage already written material

In round 1, my recs wrote 6 each. However, one was on maternity leave (current manager) and the other is retired (former manager). They are both 100% OK with writing 2-3 more for Round 2 and only one letter during the first round was a bit late getting in. (of course I dont know the quality of the letters but they insist they are great and I can only hope and pray that its true)

"George is getting upset!"

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 11:05
I too feel worried about this aspect.I applied to only one school in R1.Overall,I will be applying to 4 schools.

My recommenders said they are willing to write few more rec letters for me.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 745 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 11:53
I applied to 6 schools and I rotated 5 recommenders for 6 school applications.

I tried my best so each recommender has no more than 3 to write.

I also told each recommender (before the whole process got started), that since rec ltr forms are similar in nature for many schools, they can use pretty much same template unless they notice significant variance.

But in my opinion, you already asked for 5 from same people (i am assuming). Asking same exact people to write 4? I don't think it's a wise decision. In fact, they might put less effort to just fire away next 4 they have to write.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 12:00
Agreed that it's very person-specific. When I send the email, I will definitely make clear that I fully expect them to largely re-use the letters they've already written, and worst comes to worst, that they can submit a generic rec letter for all of them (at least in my boss's case). But from having looked at the various rec forms for schools online, they are definitely different from school to school if you ask me.

ninkorn, how did you get around your current supervisor not having to write one of your rec's for all 6?

I just re-read the '7 phases' post and couldnt stop laughing at how much I embody step #6 right now. U. of Phoenix probably has a pretty decent-sized alumni network....

SVP
SVP

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 12:19
bostonsparky wrote:

ninkorn, how did you get around your current supervisor not having to write one of your rec's for all 6?

I just re-read the '7 phases' post and couldnt stop laughing at how much I embody step #6 right now. U. of Phoenix probably has a pretty decent-sized alumni network....

I think i posted somewhere earlier about how my job at Big 4 doesn't actually have a specific boss like everyone. I have partners assgined for every client/assignment. More than 3 years at E&Y exposed me to at least 20 different partners/senior managers etc etc. So I have lots of choices at disposal without notifying my current assigned partner. (Hell, most of the time the partners I work with now don't even know which assignment I am working on)

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 13:53
ninkorn wrote:

I think i posted somewhere earlier about how my job at Big 4 doesn't actually have a specific boss like everyone. I have partners assgined for every client/assignment. More than 3 years at E&Y exposed me to at least 20 different partners/senior managers etc etc. So I have lots of choices at disposal without notifying my current assigned partner. (Hell, most of the time the partners I work with now don't even know which assignment I am working on)

Makes sense then. I'd do the same if I was in your spot. But I've found a lot of apps will make you write a specific essay about why if you don't include your current/recent boss as a recommender, it's that important. Somehow I don't think "I already made him/her write a bunch of recommendations for other schools" as an excuse will make the AdCom feel their school is high on one's list :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:21
Most of mine did 4-5 each (I did five schools but some only wanted 2 recs), and I definitely feel like they were burdened quite a bit, one of mine mentioned that they spent an hour writing each one. If I did more schools in R2 I would ask different people (except for my direct manager who would have to write more).

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2008, 20:53
bostonsparky wrote:
JReasons against: My rec's already put a lot of time into my first 5 and I'm sure have better things to do over the holidays. And I'm sure they'll wonder why someone really needs to submit 10 applications.

My 2 cents is that having written 5 essays is already a lot of work. Think about the time it takes for you to write the b-school essays. They probably go through the same process, albeit, with less stress.

It sounds like you want to apply for 5 more schools, I think writing 5 more essays in one month during the holiday season is pushing it. Furthermore, are you going to have enough time to put together strong application for 5 schools in a month?

Many schools gives out interview late, so don't be discouraged. If you really want apply for back ups, I think it'll be better to find another recommender.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Over burdening recommenders?   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2008, 20:53

Over burdening recommenders?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap