It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 19:01
If |x+3|=|y+3|, what is the value of x+y?

1) xy<0
2) x>3 and y<3

=> 1) xy < 0
We can assume x > 0 and y < 0 without loss of generality.
Then we have x + 3 = -y - 3
x + y = -6
This is sufficient.

2) x > 3 and y < 3
Then we have x + 3 = -y - 3
x + y = -6
This is sufficient.

Ans: D
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 18:17
[GMAT math practice question]

What is the unit digit of 3^5+4^5+5^5+6^5?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
E. 9


=>
3^1 has a unit digit 3.
3^2 has a unit digit 9.
3^3 has a unit digit 7.
3^4 has a unit digit 1.
3^5 has a unit digit 3.

4^1 has a unit digit 4.
4^2 has a unit digit 6.
4^3 has a unit digit 4.
4^4 has a unit digit 6.
4^5 has a unit digit 4.

5^1 has a unit digit 5.
5^2 has a unit digit 5.
5^n has a unit digit 5 for all positive integers n.

6^1 has a unit digit 6.
6^2 has a unit digit 6.
6^n has a unit digit 6 for positive integers n.

Thus 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 18 has the unit digit 8.

Ans: D

_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 18:29
[GMAT math practice question]

There are 100 black balls, 100 red balls and 100 green balls evenly mixed in a jar. What is the minimum number of balls to ensure that at least 15 beans selected are the same color?

A. 40
B. 41
C. 42
D. 43
E. 44

=>
We can assume we have 14 black balls, 14 red balls and 14 green balls. After that, if we have just one more ball, it ensures we have 15 balls with a same color.

Thus we need 43 ( = (15-1) + (15-1) + (15-1) + 1 = 14 + 14 + 14 + 1 ) balls.40 balls ensure there are 15 balls that have a same color.

Ans: D
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 18:13
[GMAT math practice question]

|x-y|=?

1) x and y are integers
2) xy=5

=>

1) It is not sufficient definitely.

2) x = 1, y = 2 and x = 2, y = 5/2
We don’t have a unique solution.

1) & 2)
We have the following cases.
x = 1, y = 5 / x = -1, y = -5 / x = 5, y = 1 / x = 1, y = 5
All of them have |x-y| = 4.
Thus we have a unique solution.
Both conditions together are sufficient.

Ans: C
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 18:32
[GMAT math practice question]

What is the value of x in 10, 13, 15, 17, and x?

1) The median of them is 15
2) The range of them is 7

=>
1) & 2) x = 16, x = 17
We have two solutions. The answer is not unique.
This is not sufficient.

Thus the answer is E.
Ans: E
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 17:56
[GMAT math practice question]

If a, b, and c are different positive integers, what is the value of a+b+c?

1) a2+b2+c2=14
2) ab+bc+ca=11

=>

Condition 1)
We can assume a < b < c without loss of generality.
The maximum value of c is 3 and c^2 = 9
a^2 + b^2 = 5.
Then we have b = 2 and a = 1.
a + b + c = 1 + 2 + 3 = 6

Condition 2)
We can assume a < b < c without loss of generality.
ab + bc + ca = (a+b)c + ab = 11
Since a + b >= 3, the maximum value of c = 3.
If c = 3, ab + 3b + 3a = 11 or ab + 3a + 3b + 9 = 20.
We have (a+3)(b+3) = 20.
Then a = 1 and b = 2.
Thus a + b + c = 1 + 2 + 3 = 6.

Therefore the answer is D

Ans: D
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 17:49
[GMAT math practice question]

In the coordinate plane, a triangle ABC has 3 points A(1,0), B(2,0), and C(m,n). What is the area of the triangle ABC?

1) m=1
2) n=2

=>
The area of the triangle is (1/2)*1*|n|. Then the condition 2) is sufficient.

Ans: B
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 19:27
[GMAT math practice question]

For a positive integer n, if 5^^n is a factor of 25!, but 5^{n+1} is not a factor of 25!, what is the value of n?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 8
E. 9

=>

25! = 1 x 2 x … x 5 x … x 10 x … x 15 x … x 20 x … x 25
= 1 x … x 4 x 6 x … x 9 x 11 x … x 14 x 16 x … x 19 x 21 x … x 24 x 5 x 10 x 15 x 20 x 25
= 1 x … x 4 x 6 x … x 9 x 11 x … x 14 x 16 x … x 19 x 21 x … x 24 x ( 5 x 5 x 2 x 5 x 3 x 5 x 4 x 5^2 )
= 1 x … x 4 x 6 x … x 9 x 11 x … x 14 x 16 x … x 19 x 21 x … x 24 x (2 x 3 x 4 x 5^6 )

Thus n = 6.

Ans: B
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 18:04
[GMAT math practice question]

If ab>0, is a^3b^2>0?

1) a>0
2) b>0

=>

a^3b^2>0 is equivalent to a>0 under the condition of ab>0.

Condition 1)
a > 0 is sufficient.

Condition 2)
Since ab > 0 and b > 0, we have a > 0, which is sufficient.

Ans: D
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 18:23
[GMAT math practice question]

Is xy< 10?

1) x<2
2) y<5

=>

Condition 1) & 2)
x = 1, y = 2 ➔ xy = 2 < 10 : Yes
x = -3, y = -4 ➔ xy = 12 > 10 : No
Both conditions together are not sufficient.

Ans: E
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 18:06
[GMAT math practice question]

If 3x>10, which of the following must be true?

I. x>2
II. x>3
III. x>4

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

=>

3^x>10 > 9 = 3^2
Then, we have x > 2.abc…
Thus x > 2.

Therefore, A is the answer.
Answer: A
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 01:40
3. (statistics) What is the median value of 5 data?
1) The first 3 smallest data are 10, 12, 15.
2) The biggest data is 20

=>
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.
We can assume that a1 ≤ a2 ≤ a3 ≤ a4 ≤a5. The question asks what the value of a3 is.
In the original condition, there is 5 variables and 0 equation. Therefore, E is most likely to be the answer.

Condition 1)
a1 = 10, a2 = 12, a3 = 15.
Thus, the median is 15 and this is sufficient.

Condition 2)
a5 = 20.
This is not sufficient.

Therefore, unlike our expectation, E is the answer.
Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both con 1) and con 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using con 1) and con 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using con 1) and con 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously, there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

Answer: A
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 01:37
What is the median of 3 consecutive integers?
1) The product of the integers is 0
2) The sum of the integers and the product of the integers are the same

=>

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.
We assume that we have 3 consecutive integers, n, n+1 and n+2.
We have 1 variable and 0 equation from the original condition. Therefore, D is most likely to be the answer.

Condition 1)
n(n+1)(n+2) = 2.
We have n = 0, n = -1 or n = -2.
This is not sufficient.

Condition 2)
n + ( n + 1 ) + ( n + 2 ) = n(n+1)(n+2)
3n + 3 = n(n+1)(n+2)
3(n + 1) = n(n+1)(n+2)
n(n+1)(n+2) - 3(n + 1) = 0
(n+1){ n(n+2) – 3 } = 0
(n+1)(n2 + 2n – 3) = 0
(n+1)(n-1)(n+3) = 0
n = -1, n = 1 or n = -3
This is not sufficient.
Condition 1) & 2)
From the condition 1), we have n = 0, n = -1 or n = -2.
From the condition 2), we have n = 1, n = -1 or n = -3.
Thus, n = -1.
Both conditions together are sufficient.

Therefore, unlike our expectation, C is the answer.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both con 1) and con 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using con 1) and con 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using con 1) and con 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously, there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.


Answer: B
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 18:12
[GMAT math practice question]

Is xy<15?

1) x<3
2) y<5

=>

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

There are 2 variables and 0 equation. The answer could be C most likely.

Conditin 1) & 2)
x = 1, y = 2 ➔ xy = 2 < 15 : Yes
x = -4, y = -4 ➔ xy = 16 > 16 : No

Therefore, E is the answer unlike our expectation.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

Ans: E
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 18:08
[GMAT math practice question]

Which of the following is closest to (1+2^18)/(2^4+2^10)?

A. 2^5
B. 2^6
C. 2^7
D. 2^8
E. 2^9

=>

(1+2^18)/(2^4+2^10) = (1+2^18)/(2^4(1+2^6)) = (1+2^6)(1-2^6+2^12)/(2^4(1+2^6))
= (1-2^6+2^12)/2^4 ≒ 2^8

Therefore, the answer is D.

Answer: D
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 21:24
[GMAT math practice question]

In the coordinate plane, a triangle ABC has 3 points A(-1,0), B(1,0), and C(m,n). What is the area of the triangle ABC?

1) m=2
2) n=2

=>
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.
The first step of VA(Variable Approach) method is modifying the original condition and the question, and rechecking the number of variables and the number of equations.
We can consider AB as the base and the y-coordinate n of the point C as another point of the triangle, and |n| is its height.
Thus, its area is (1/2)*2*|n| = |n|.

Hence, only condition 2) is sufficient.

Therefore, B is the answer.

Answer: B
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 19:23
[GMAT math practice question]

If n is positive integer, is 6 a factor of n?

1) 6 is a factor of n^2
2) 6 is a factor of 2n

=>

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Since we have 1 variable and 0 equation, D is most likely to be the answer. According to CMT4(B), if D is chosen as an answer too easily for key area questions, we should check the answer A or B. This question is about integers, which is one of the key question areas.

Condition 1)
n^2 = 2*3*k for an integer.
Since 2 and 3 are prime factors of n^2, 2 and 3 are prime factor of n.
Thus, 2*3 = 6 is a factor of n.
This is sufficient.

Condition 2)
We have two cases as follows.
n = 3 does not have 6 as a factor.
n = 12 has 6 as a factor.
This is not sufficient.

Therefore, the answer is A.

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both con 1) and con 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Thus, D is most likely to be the answer using con 1) and con 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.

Answer: A
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 18:13
[GMAT math practice question]

The number of club X’s members is increased by 20 percent every year. If the number of members of the club X in 2000 was m, how many number of members in 2005 are greater than that of members in 2004?

A. (0.2)(1.2)^4m
B. (0.8)(1.2)^4m
C. (0.2)(1.2)^5m
D. (0.8)(1.2)^5m
E. (0.8)4(1.2)^4m

=>
(1.2)^5m – (1.2)^4m = (1.2)^4m(1.2-1) = (0.2)(1.2)^4m

Therefore, the answer is A.

Answer: A
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 18:33
[GMAT math practice question]

xz < 0?

1) |x+y| = |x| + |y|
2) |y+z| = |y| + |z|


=>
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Since we have 3 variables and 0 equation, E is most likely to be the answer.

Conditions 1) & 2)

From the condition 1) and 2),
|x+y| = |x| + |y| is equivalent to xy ≥ 0 and |y+z| = |y| + |z| is equivalent to yz ≥ 0. Then we have xy2z ≥ 0 or xz ≥ 0.
According to CMT 1, since “No” is also an answer, both conditions are sufficient.

The answer is C.

For cases where we need 3 more equations, such as original conditions with “3 variables”, or “4 variables and 1 equation”, or “5 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 80 % chance that E is the answer, while C has 15% chance and A, B or D has 5% chance. Thus, E is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) together according to DS definition. Obviously, there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or D.
Answer: A
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 4451

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 21:55
[GMAT math practice question]

If x is a 5-digit integer, abc,de, is it divisible by 4?

1) d is an even number.
2) e is an even number.

=>
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, VA (Variable Approach) method is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The first step of VA(Variable Approach) method is modifying the original condition and the question, and rechecking the number of variables and the number of equations.

We can check the divisibility by 4 with the last two digits. The last two digit number is 10d + e. Since we have 2 variables and 0 equation, C is most likely to be the answer.
Condition 1) & 2)
d = 2, e = 4 ➔ 24 is divisible by 4.
d = 4, e = 4 ➔ 44 is not divisible by 4.
Therefore, E is the answer.

Normally for cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with 2 variables, or 3 variables and 1 equation, or 4 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, C has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming C would be our answer, hence using 1) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously, there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Answer: E
_________________

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3126 [0], given: 0

Re: Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 21:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 212 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Overview of GMAT Math Question Types and Patterns on the GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.