Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
manishkris wrote:
Invited to interview!!! :)
Timestamp : ~10:50 am EST

Profile : Indian/IT/4yrs/25/780

Congrats Manish :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
manishkris wrote:

Congratulations dude.. so when did u submit ur app... Guess invites are coming out for Indians finally... All The best for your interview
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Congrats Manish. deathmeat gmat man.

Meeting an Alum? If yes, which city?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.63
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Invited to interview as well! So excited :)

I've done one interview already and have researched quite heavily on interviews in general and think I have a fairly good understanding of what to expect. Given Darden's stress on fit - I assume this is an opportunity for us to show the adcom that we REALLY want to be here, that we will contribute in our own unique way, and that we're excited about this affair. Honestly, I LOVED Darden - it was my favorite school of all the schools I visited, so hopefully what I feel comes off in the interview.

Current Darden students: do you guys have any tips for the interview? Other than fit, why we want to get an MBA and why Darden, are there any other topics we should be preparing for?

Thanks a lot :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
manishkris wrote:

HOLY GMAT SCORE BATMAN!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Is there anyone from India who submitted the application on the last day (17th Oct) and has got an i/v invite??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Had my interview on Monday. Very friendly 2nd year. Basically you spent 20 min discussing your life up to now. then 10 min on why mba, why now/why darden etc. then 15 min asking questions about darden. hope this helps to those who are prepping for the interview
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
For those of you who had interviewed, don't forget to send a thank-you email to your interviewer. It's a small gesture that can go a long way.
Intern
Intern
Status:every time I get out, they keep on bringing me back in
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
manishkris wrote:
trailblazer69 wrote:
Hi ,
I'm from India and i have received my Interview invite (via Skype) at 4PM EST.I will be travelling to the US during the last week of Nov for work reasons and will be in SF till the end of Dec. Should i request the admissions office for a face to face interview during this time or would it be better to schedule the Skype interview ? Does a face to face interview have better chances of admission ?
Thanks in Advance.

Congrats trailblazer..
Can you please share your profile

Hi Manish,
Sorry for the delay ..
My Profile : Indian/IT/Female/680/4yrs . Tried my hand at entrepreneurship for a little while but the attempt was unsuccesful though :|
Good Luck !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
American applicant based out of Shanghai here. I had my Skype interview on Tuesday morning Charlottesville time with a member of the Adcom. Interview was by far more informal and laid back than other interviews I've done (Kellogg, Ross). They asked me to tell my story basically...I ran through my career and my motivations, but I felt the adcom member kept trying to get me away from this formal style by asking me questions like what I liked to do in my free time, my activities, where I've traveled in the last few years...overall, I felt the interview was extremely friendly and I eventually loosened up a bit and just treated it like any normal conversation. She told me the interview would be limited to 30 minutes, but we ran almost up to the one hour mark. We had some technical difficulties, and about half way through we just gave up on the video and went with just audio. For those still waiting to interview, I'd suggest not spending so much time preparing or memorizing stuff to say, because they will guide you away from these kinds of things. Just be yourself, make sure you have an interesting story to tell with some good anecdotes, and of course...know everything you can possibly know about Darden. These guys are definitely proud about their school, and you have to show that. Good luck everyone, and now begins the month-long wait. :P
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Is Darden still sending out interview invites? Still waiting on my invite :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Hemantuec wrote:
Is Darden still sending out interview invites? Still waiting on my invite :(

Adcom told me they just started interviewing this week Monday...so I'm pretty sure there will be more invites to come. She did say they are on an invite only basis...two people look at your application, and if they both agree to move ahead you will get your invite at some point!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
Thought this might be relevant to those who have not yet received an invite and those curious about the interviews..

Question: Have interview invitations for the class of 2014 been sent out? If we haven’t been invited yet, is it typical to receive them later this month or in December?

Answer: Interview invites for R1 have started going out. They will continue to go out up until the decision release date (Dec. 21 for Round 1).

Question: Do interviewers have access to all of the details of the applicant?

Answer: The interviewers do not access your application or resume before the interview. Interviews are done completely blind — it makes for a more unbiased approach to the interview.

This is from the Darden Admissions and MBA Blog. The full Q&A can be accessed here -
https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2011/11/16/admissions-q-a-4/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I completely second xzeppelin's interview experience and what he mentions regarding the interview process.

I had my interview via Skype. Unfortunately for me it was only for 30 minutes. There was only one basic question. Tell me about yourself in a chronological manner. Anything that you want to cover is fair game. So I spoke a bit about my family, schooling, college & work and how each one had impacted my personality. I was running short of time and that's why we could only devote about 5-7 minutes for the Why MBA & Why Darden questions. That was followed by 2-3 minutes of me asking some questions. Overall the interview was very conversational. There was no cross-questioning and none of Why this or Why that stuff...

Keep a photo ID handy. The interviewer will check your photo ID right at the beginning. This is mentioned quite clearly in the mail that Darden sends but thought of pointing it out nevertheless.

Bottomline - Keep your story ready - cradle to interview chair. And be prepared to tailor it based on the time. You could be asked for a 15 minute monologue or a 45 minute monologue. I had a tough time incorporating all elements of my story within the time limit.

The interviewer said that the process they normally follow is like this-
1. Two reviewers read your file and if both of them give their consent, the applicant is invited for interview.
2. A third reviewer, who hasn't read your file interviews you and after the interview proceeds to read your file. (The interviewer will continuously take notes during the interview for this reason, be prepared to be talking to his / her hair while he / she is busy taking notes)
3. Based on the interview and the third reviewer's assessment of the file, the file will be finally handed over to the Director of admissions.
4. The Director will finally take into account all the three reviewer's assessments before passing a final judgement on the application.

I think I covered it all. Let me know if any questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
I have a couple things to add, based on my interview experience this week:

1) The interviewer did a nice job of giving me opportunities to talk about "Why Darden" or what my long term career goals are, if I only discussed that topic briefly during my initial monologue. So don't feel like you only have one chance to cover absolutely everything. If you forget to mention something important, the interviewer will probably give you another opportunity to talk about it.

2) She kind of grilled me on my long term career goals (in a very friendly manner). Maybe it's because I have a general management track in mind, and she wanted to make sure it wasn't just a bunch of BS I made up solely for the Darden application. Or maybe it's because I said I want to work in a struggling industry and she was just genuinely concerned that I haven't thought this through well enough. Either way, just be sure that you're able to defend your career goals if you have to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
LionsSBC12 wrote:
Or maybe it's because I said I want to work in a struggling industry and she was just genuinely concerned that I haven't thought this through well enough. Either way, just be sure that you're able to defend your career goals if you have to.

Just curious - what struggling industry do you want to work in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
n03 wrote:
LionsSBC12 wrote:
Or maybe it's because I said I want to work in a struggling industry and she was just genuinely concerned that I haven't thought this through well enough. Either way, just be sure that you're able to defend your career goals if you have to.

Just curious - what struggling industry do you want to work in?

Health Care. Just kidding. Automotive.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts