Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7807 [83]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [13]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [6]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [4]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: The medical profession is not in agreement about how to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 for A.

When your construction is ... not sure about "something" and that something is plain, vanila statement then you need "about" as preposition. However if something is in form of a question or an ability (how to do something) then sure can omit the [about].

You have to also look at "[physicians] have a controversy about". This is incorrect usage. You do not have controversy about something; "there is a controversy about something".

Crick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Quote:
A) unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over
B) not sure how much antiserum they should use and have a controversy about
C) unsure how much antiserum they should use, and they have controversy about
D) not sure as to how much antiserum they should be using, and there is a controversy over
E) unsure about how much antiserum should be used, and they have a controversy as to what is

unsure is better than not sure.
to have a controversy about??? Doesn't make sense.
This should rule out B, C, and E.
Not sure as to is just wrong and wordy construction.

Answer is surely A.

Quote:
Should "sure" or "unsure" be used with "about" ?

I googled this Q, and some people say that "sure" or "unsure" has to have "about" like A.
But I saw examples that did not use "about" with "sure".
Ex) Ask me if you're not sure how to do it. I am not sure whether I should tell you this.

The rule that "sure" has to have "about" is right? I doubt it.

Are you sure about your answer? --> I believe this is a valid construction.
Are you unsure about your answer? --> I believe this is a valid construction too.
If you refer to my methodology above we didnt really need sure and about to answer this question correctly. The real reason why about is wrong in this sentence is when you look at it with relation to the word "controversy" and not the word "sure".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
eybrj2 wrote:
The medical profession is not in agreement about how to treat
snakebites; physicians are unsure about how much antiserum
to use, and there is controversy over
the relative merits of surgery and antivenins.

D) not sure as to how much antiserum they should be using, and there is a controversy over
E) unsure about how much antiserum should be used, and they have a controversy as to what is

I googled this Q, and some people say that "sure" or "unsure" has to have "about" like A.
Ex) Ask me if you're not sure how to do it. I am not sure whether I should tell you this.

My way of approaching question-

-controversy is "over" something.. not "about" something
so down to (A) and (D)
-(A) is more clear and concise
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
The medical profession is not in agreement about how to treat snakebites; physicians are unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over the relative merits of surgery and antivenins.

(A) unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over
(B) not sure how much antiserum they should use and have a controversy about
(C) unsure how much antiserum they should use, and they have controversy about
(D) not sure as to how much antiserum they should be using, and there is a controversy over
(E) unsure about how much antiserum should be used, and they have a controversy as to what is

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Please explain the parallelism in option A.
How it is correct ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63693 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
The medical profession is not in agreement about how to treat snakebites; physicians are unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over the relative merits of surgery and antivenins.

(A) unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over
(B) not sure how much antiserum they should use and have a controversy about
(C) unsure how much antiserum they should use, and they have controversy about
(D) not sure as to how much antiserum they should be using, and there is a controversy over
(E) unsure about how much antiserum should be used, and they have a controversy as to what is

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
Please explain the parallelism in option A.
How it is correct ?

The word "and" can certainly be used in a parallel list. However, "and" can also simply be used as a conjunction (with a comma) to connect two independent clauses. And that's exactly what we have here:

• (1) "Physicians are unsure about how much antiserum to use." - This part could certainly be its own sentence.
  • (2) "There is controversy over the relative merits of surgery and antivenins." - So could this part.
  • (1+2) "Physicians are unsure about how much antiserum to use, and there is controversy over the relative merits of surgery and antivenins." - We combine the two independent clauses with comma+conjunction (in this case, ", and").

When "and" is used as a conjunction to link two independent clauses, we don't really need to think about parallelism (aside from the uninteresting fact that both clauses -- by definition -- need to have a subject and a verb). It's okay for the two linked clauses to have different structures. For example:

• "Tim has a library, and there are many books in that library." - No problem.
  • "Tim has a library, many books, and he reads occasionally." - Here we have an issue. We start off listing parallel nouns -- things that Tim has (library, books). But then we suddenly get an independent clause ("he reads occasionally") that is NOT parallel to those nouns. This is incorrect.

The structure in choice (A) is a bit more complicated because of the semicolon usage -- on either side of the semicolon, we have something that could stand alone as its own sentence. The part to the right of the semicolon just so happens to consist of TWO independent clauses, each of which could also stand alone as its own sentence.

That makes for one meaty sentence (mmm... meat :-P), but the structure is perfectly fine!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja

First, I would like to thank you for your SC videos. Those videos helped me fill in the knowledge gaps in grammar rules that I thought I understood. Second, is my interpretation of choices B, C, and E, after the "and" to read as "physicians have a controversy..." as in they possess the event/situation, which would be illogical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:

"how much antiserum to use" is used as one entity.
Also, "unsure about" is parallel to "controversy over" - Hence the parallelism requires "about"

It's a very clear construction.

Structure:
Physicians are unsure about X and there is controversy over Y
X= how much antiserum to use
Y= the relative merits of surgery and antivenins.

This construction may imply that physicians are unsure about two things
1- use of antiserum
2- have a controversy about

Pronoun "they" is redundant.
Compare- I'm not sure about how much oil to use. / I'm not sure about how much oil I should use. The latter version is unnecessarily wordy.

On GMAT "should" is tested in regard to subjunctives. It can also be used to show an obligations. However the context here only points to the right quantity to be use.

Also, "controversy about" is unidiomatic. Correct idiom is - "controversy over"

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal

What is there referring to in option A

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7778 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
aish5063
The idiom "there is X" just means "X exists." "There" isn't modifying or referring back to anything previous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
aish5063
The idiom "there is X" just means "X exists." "There" isn't modifying or referring back to anything previous.

Hi DmitryFarber

Can you plz. help me understand why Option D is wrong?
Is it because of redundancy of "they" and no other grammatical error?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7778 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos