Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:19 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-13-2012
Send PM
Re: Please critique my 3 month study plan [#permalink]
hey. how much time do you plan to study every day? are you studying full-time or also working? just curious since i'm sitting in the same boat time-wise...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
andih wrote:
hey. how much time do you plan to study every day? are you studying full-time or also working? just curious since i'm sitting in the same boat time-wise...

andih,

I work full time and have 2 kids. During the week, I'm shooting for 2-3 hours. Sat-Sun, I'm trying to do double that; as much time as I can dedicate to it, basically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
I would suggest that you take a cat exam prior to begining. Then look where you are weak. MGMAT's CATS are great about pinpointing that. Any area you score below 50% is a weakness. I would say do another CAT a month in. Then another in month 2. This way you are constantly gauging whether you are making progress. Your second cat should have a significant increase. This is because it is much easier to improve from 430 than from 630.

As you complete each chapter of each strategy guide do the in action problems. So say each day you go through one chapter. By the end of the week you have gone through roughly 5. Take 2 hours to review them. Then turn around and look at the corresponding problems in OG for each chapter. I believe at the end of each book they list them out for you.

OG will show you whether you got the material or you need more studying. It is imperative to get the fundamentals down packed. If you are so focused on going through your schedule you may start missing the point of the studying... which is to master the material.

Best of luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
I would suggest that you take a cat exam prior to begining. Then look where you are weak. MGMAT's CATS are great about pinpointing that. Any area you score below 50% is a weakness. I would say do another CAT a month in. Then another in month 2. This way you are constantly gauging whether you are making progress. Your second cat should have a significant increase. This is because it is much easier to improve from 430 than from 630.

As you complete each chapter of each strategy guide do the in action problems. So say each day you go through one chapter. By the end of the week you have gone through roughly 5. Take 2 hours to review them. Then turn around and look at the corresponding problems in OG for each chapter. I believe at the end of each book they list them out for you.

OG will show you whether you got the material or you need more studying. It is imperative to get the fundamentals down packed. If you are so focused on going through your schedule you may start missing the point of the studying... which is to master the material.

Best of luck

good stuff.

Right now, I'm doing the In Action problems after completing each section and I planned to do exactly as you said in regards to going back to the OG to work the corresponding problems in each MGMAT Guide. I will take a CAT exam today and every month there after as you suggested to measure my progress to ensure I'm learning and not just speeding through chapters.

Thanks for your feedback.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi ctovar, excellent excel sheet! Love it. But no way are you going to be able to stick to it! There, I said it. But I will also tell you that that's not a bad thing at all. I can't imagine anyone can stick to such a rigorous schedule as the one you have drawn up. Because as you progress in your prep schedule and as you read stuff on this forum, you are going to figure out that you need to spend more time on a particular area. Or maybe you are going to find a bunch of material that is so good you are going to delete a few blocks off your excel sheet and put this new material in there. (Talking about stuff from Bunuel, Whiplash, et al here ;-) )! Or maybe you reach a plateau and mindlessly continuing to cover more and more topics is just not the answer. Mohater, Yerkut, and others will advice you to stop, soak in the material, learn from your mistakes and then move on. Create error logs and maintain them religiously. All of this will rip holes in your excel plan but for the better :-D !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
budablasta wrote:
Hi ctovar, excellent excel sheet! Love it. But no way are you going to be able to stick to it! There, I said it. But I will also tell you that that's not a bad thing at all. I can't imagine anyone can stick to such a rigorous schedule as the one you have drawn up. Because as you progress in your prep schedule and as you read stuff on this forum, you are going to figure out that you need to spend more time on a particular area. Or maybe you are going to find a bunch of material that is so good you are going to delete a few blocks off your excel sheet and put this new material in there. (Talking about stuff from Bunuel, Whiplash, et al here ;-) )! Or maybe you reach a plateau and mindlessly continuing to cover more and more topics is just not the answer. Mohater, Yerkut, and others will advice you to stop, soak in the material, learn from your mistakes and then move on. Create error logs and maintain them religiously. All of this will rip holes in your excel plan but for the better :-D !

No need to sugarcoat anything. I welcome posts that are brutally honest. :-D

That said, what is the stuff from Bunuel, Whiplash, etc you are referring to? link(s)?

btw, I have an error log to review concepts I missed and silly mistakes I made.

I know that the schedule looks a bit rigorous but I don't cover more than 2 chapters per day. IMO, I think I can handle it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Completely agree with wallstreetbarbie, it's very similar to the my study plan.
GMAT Club Bot