Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 12:10 It is currently 10 May 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Emory or Boston U? [#permalink]
Thanks for your post! Am actually doing some of them... I guess it is a bit of a heart over mind kind of decision. I like both programs. I think there are opportunities for both although what I'll get at Emory is probably closer-aligned to what I want to do.

In terms of city - having grown up in a city, I think Boston would be a better 'fit' in terms of lifestyle and familiarity. Will seriously consider what you've raised above and do more research. :-D

rgupta83 wrote:
I am not familiar with either program, but a few things you should do to make your decision a little easier.

1. I would check out the employment reports or speak to each career center. Find out which school has stronger recruiting ties into what you want to get into. The main point of b-school is to get to that next step so try to see if this is a differentiator for either school.

2. Try to speak with current students about why they choose their school. If you can get in touch with at least 2-3 students I am sure you will find people with similar situations and their rational might bring forward benefits of either school that you did not know before.

3. research the different cities. Both schools will have strong ties in those regions and ATL and Boston are very different. See if their is a preference to live for the next 2-5 years in either location. After all the school can be great but if you hate the city you are in, it is not worth it.

Whatever you decide, this is always the best situation to be in after applications. Good luck with your decision, you really cannot go wrong with either school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I would attend emory without hesitation.

Atlanta is a great city + you get a better degree = emory
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
I grew up in NY, and I know Boston very well. Being from the north, I never thought I'd like Atlanta, and I had never visited until after I was admitted to Emory. I can say that I absolutely love Atlanta, and was surprised to like it so much.

Atlanta is a city where you'd be greatly advantaged to have a car. Car aside, it's much cheaper than Boston, the weather is quite good, the people are friendly, and there are a lot of cool neighborhoods. The class at Emory is very small and cohesive, so you'll have a lot of friends to go out with on most nights.

I'm not trying to post an advertisement for the school. I do think you should visit both schools if you can, get as much information as you need, and make a decision on the school that fits you best. If you have any specific questions though, do feel free to reach out. I'm studying abroad this semester, so I'm not physically on campus. Our welcome weekend is going on right now, so please watch whatever webcasts you'd like, and best of luck with the decision.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
I would say they only reason to choose BU in this situation is if you what to be in Boston post graduation.

BU is a regional school BUT with harvard MIT and Tuck feeding boston companies aswell (along with BC, and Babson, which are comparable) it doesnt have as much clout in boston as Emory would have in Atlanta.

Personally, I'd choose BU.. BUT, thats due to my bias for the area, and my goals post MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much for weighing in with your thoughts... Really appreciate them. I guess I've become increasingly keen on Emory after hearing your views, talking to some people and watching the webcasts from welcome weekend. Kinda gives a nice feel and fit to it.

as to where I would like to work after graduation, well, as an international student, it would really depend on economic conditions and opportunities.

Looking forward to starting school! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
BU is a good school. For mba, go with Emory.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Law
Send PM