Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation- Healthcare IT PM [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You're most welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Linda,

Would you please take a look at my profile as well? I am not sure if you have another forum on which I should post. Thank you in advance.

Stats up front:
29/m
*3.2/4.0 from a top 30. History Major, Geophysics minor
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC
*GRE: 321 (161 V, 160 Q). On the ETS converter that comes to a 680 GMAT

Work Experience : 7 Years Navy SEAL Officer. 5 Deployments to date with combat.
-Consistent leadership in a variety of austere and high profile locations.
-Senior level coordination within DOD
-Excellent lessons learned in terms of personnel management
-Task Unit commander in charge of $25M in equipment overseas.
-Consistent high performance in my service record. Ranked #1 of 16 peers (also SEAL Officers) on most recent eval period

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.
-Lead food drives at work
-Volunteered at foundation events for the Wounded Warrior Foundation.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:
I love the experience of leading people and I have a passion for working within small teams. I also feel as if the driving forces of today's global environment are economic in nature. While I think I could find employment within the private sector by separating from the service now, I am looking for a management role. General Management seems like a great fit and I seek an MBA to cross into the private sector in a position that I think is more fitting. As for the timing, I am coming to the end of my operational leadership time and I am at the point in my career where my experience is both relevant and recent. Personally, I am also looking to provide a lifestyle more conducive to a family as opposed to the continuous deployment
My decision to take the GRE is likely to be a question. I chose to take it because I want to remain competitive for several of the fellowships offered in the service. Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School among others only accepts the GRE. This is purely to keep options open.

Summary: I feel I can articulate my leadership experience and I actively stay in touch with fellow members of my community who are now in business school. I also feel that my essays will have tangible examples of what I think ADCOMs are looking for. I will not be making a move to business school for a few years but I have spent some time getting to know the process. I will likely retake the GRE to get to the 90-92% percentile. Given what I have to work with now though, how do I look for the following schools?

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duff wrote:
Linda,

Would you please take a look at my profile as well? I am not sure if you have another forum on which I should post. Thank you in advance.

Stats up front:
29/m
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC

-Consistent high performance in my service record. Ranked #1 of 16 peers (also SEAL Officers) on most recent eval period

Extra Curricular: Involved heavily in several charity foundations and recruiting campaigns in support of the SEAL community.
-Repeated visitor to my Alma Mater as a speaker on Leadership for the Athletic Department.

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:
I love the experience of leading people and I have a passion for working within small teams. I also feel as if the driving forces of today's global environment are economic in nature. While I think I could find employment within the private sector by separating from the service now, I am looking for a management role. General Management seems like a great fit and I seek an MBA to cross into the private sector in a position that I think is more fitting. As for the timing, I am coming to the end of my operational leadership time and I am at the point in my career where my experience is both relevant and recent. Personally, I am also looking to provide a lifestyle more conducive to a family as opposed to the continuous deployment
My decision to take the GRE is likely to be a question. I chose to take it because I want to remain competitive for several of the fellowships offered in the service. Princeton's Woodrow Wilson School among others only accepts the GRE. This is purely to keep options open.

Summary: I feel I can articulate my leadership experience and I actively stay in touch with fellow members of my community who are now in business school. I also feel that my essays will have tangible examples of what I think ADCOMs are looking for. I will not be making a move to business school for a few years but I have spent some time getting to know the process. I will likely retake the GRE to get to the 90-92% percentile. Given what I have to work with now though, how do I look for the following schools?

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff

The MBA is a great way to transition from the military to the business world. Your age now is a fit for these programs but you write that you are waiting a few more years before making this move, which in my opinion will most likely put you out of HBS's range and interest and may cause concern to the other programs as well, since you will have trouble fitting into a classroom of 26-28 year olds when you are in your 30s. I recommend applying now if you can - ie., if you can leave service within the next year. If you really cannot end your service now, then I believe you'll need to broaden the range of schools you apply to because of the age factor.
PS The GRE score is fine for most programs but probably should be boosted (or replaced with a high GMAT score) for the top programs to prove you have the academic ability to match your exceptional leadership skills.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duff wrote:
Linda,

Stats up front:
29/m
*Varsity Lacrosse, ROTC

Hobbies:
-Reading
-Lacrosse
-Soccer
-Golf

Future goals:

HBS
Wharton
Tuck
Darden
Fuqua
Johnson
Owen

Regards,
Duff

Duff,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Given your SEAL experience, I think you would be given serious consideration by all the schools on your list, but HBS and Wharton would definitely be stretches, probably Tuck too; your GMAT and grades are a little low for these schools. I also am concerned that if you wait "a few" years, you may be considered "older" and that could be an issue. Maybe yes maybe no. The schools usually cut military applicants a little slack on age.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Linda,

I just recently returned from deployment and had a chance to retake the GRE. My score is now a 324 (GMAT 700), which is slightly higher than my previous take. Not sure if this will make much of a difference. I really appreciate your advice on the timing and I will certainly consider applying as soon as possible.

Just wanted to touch base again and see if you think the overall candidacy is out of reach for HBS and Wharton.

Thanks!
Duff
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duff wrote:
Linda,

I just recently returned from deployment and had a chance to retake the GRE. My score is now a 324 (GMAT 700), which is slightly higher than my previous take. Not sure if this will make much of a difference. I really appreciate your advice on the timing and I will certainly consider applying as soon as possible.

Just wanted to touch base again and see if you think the overall candidacy is out of reach for HBS and Wharton.

Thanks!
Duff

Duff,

Every little bit help. :)

I don't think your overall candidacy is out of reach for HBS and Wharton. You should definitely give them a try when you apply. Just don't apply only to Harvard and Wharton and don't count on an acceptance from these intensely competitive schools. I thought the list you posted above is a solid list for you. You may also want to consider Ross.

You might be interested in "The MBA, a Military Background, and Expectations.".

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Linda,

Once again, looking for your sage advice. I have to complete a micro and macro-economic pre-requisite for two of the policy schools to which I will be applying (Yale-Jackson, Princeton-WW). I intend to do this online, and I will ensure it gets the attention it deserves in order to get an A.

I have a finite amount of time with an active duty assignment leading up to application season in the fall. Do you think macro and micro will be valid additions to an alternative transcript to be used for B-School applications? I know the standard ones are finance, accounting, statistics, etc… Do you think I need to add one of those in there too.

Thanks,
Duff
Send PM
Expert Reply
Duff wrote:
Linda,

Once again, looking for your sage advice. I have to complete a micro and macro-economic pre-requisite for two of the policy schools to which I will be applying (Yale-Jackson, Princeton-WW). I intend to do this online, and I will ensure it gets the attention it deserves in order to get an A.

I have a finite amount of time with an active duty assignment leading up to application season in the fall. Do you think macro and micro will be valid additions to an alternative transcript to be used for B-School applications? I know the standard ones are finance, accounting, statistics, etc… Do you think I need to add one of those in there too.

Thanks,
Duff

Macro and micro will be valuable additions from an MBA admissions stand point. You don't "need" any additional courses. If you want to take additional courses to prepare yourself for bschool (and show the admissions committees you are serious about business) I would take accounting and stats for business, not necessarily in that order.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot