Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:13 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Class of 2014 - Admitted Students Thread [#permalink]
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I've made my decision. I'm heading to Booth! See you all in the fall.

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
While it pains me to leave my buddies behind (this is for you Cheet, MPG, Falcon, Pushkin) - I'm going to bow out of the Booth threads because I've decided to go to Tuck.

<ducks from thrown objects>
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
While it pains me to leave my buddies behind (this is for you Cheet, MPG, Falcon, Pushkin) - I'm going to bow out of the Booth threads because I've decided to go to Tuck.

<ducks from thrown objects>

*presses face against the window pain and cries as LadyRoadWarrior leaves us for Tuck*

As much as it pains me to know I won't be at school with you in the fall, I am spitting happy for you. Tuck rolled out the carpet for you and I'm so happy for that. You were always green anyways so that's exactly where you belong. Come visit us in Chicago. Pushkin will cook!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V43
Send PM
Does anyone know when the verification (employer/recommenders) happens? I am in a tricky situation where the moment my boss finds out about my mba plans I will be let go. I was told by some current students that Booth handles all verification in-house versus using an external agency (such as Kroll). Any advice would be appreciated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
Does anyone know when the verification (employer/recommenders) happens? I am in a tricky situation where the moment my boss finds out about my mba plans I will be let go. I was told by some current students that Booth handles all verification in-house versus using an external agency (such as Kroll). Any advice would be appreciated.

When were you planning to leave your job? If you get let go, does your company offer severance? If all else fails you can collect unemployment through the summer til school starts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations cheetarah1980! Reading your blog made me wish I had jotted down thoughts during the process myself.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cheetarah,

I currently in the US as a Chinese citizen on a work visa. If I am let go, I basically have to leave the country immediately and return back to China. Apart from that issue, I also need some employment-exit paperwork for applying for a student visa, which I might not have time to get from HR if my boss suddenly fires me. That's why I wanted to get an approximate idea of when verifications happen so I can find/prep a HR manager, my recommenders, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
I currently in the US as a Chinese citizen on a work visa. If I am let go, I basically have to leave the country immediately and return back to China. Apart from that issue, I also need some employment-exit paperwork for applying for a student visa, which I might not have time to get from HR if my boss suddenly fires me. That's why I wanted to get an approximate idea of when verifications happen so I can find/prep a HR manager, my recommenders, etc.

Have you tried talking with your admissions person (the person who called you to tell you were accepted)? I'm sure they would be happy to walk you through the timing.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
Cheetarah,

Hi,

I'm on the same boat (foreign national who will soon make the switch from H1B to F1 visa). Could you elaborate on the employment-exit paperwork you mentioned?

Thanks in advance,
VP
VP
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
Cheetarah,

Oh wow! Yeah, that makes your situation much more precarious. I agree with S2S, I'm sure you can talk to Booth about your situation. There are likely other people who plan to stay on at their jobs until school starts and whose employment would be put in jeopardy by the verification process. Maybe Booth can get the verification on the low so as not to tip off your boss. I've found Booth's administration to be extremely responsive and helpful, so just let them know what's going on and I'm sure they will work with you. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I'm on the same boat (foreign national who will soon make the switch from H1B to F1 visa). Could you elaborate on the employment-exit paperwork you mentioned?

Thanks in advance,[/quote]

In my case, I have to provide the consulate with (1) a letter from my company stating my start/end dates (2) the same letter should also mention that my I-140 has been withdrawn by the company. I checked with my company's lawyers and they mentioned that it takes a couple of weeks for the I-140 to be withdrawn. My initial plan is to first withdraw the I-140, then inform my company of my intention to leave. That's why I am being careful about staging this whole process one step at a time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:

My acceptance letter says the following about the timing of the verification process: "Upon receiving your second enrollment deposit, we will verify your admissions credentials. This will include reviewing your letters of recommendation and all transcripts for post-secondary education."
VP
VP
Send PM
Is anyone else considering living in or around Hyde Park. My roommate and I spoke today and we decided to add HP to the list of neighborhoods we're considering. Rent is substantially cheaper vs the Loop and South Loop. I just want to make sure that if we do decide to live closer to campus we won't be the only people there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
My guess is that most students living in Hyde Park will be married, have families, or be U of C undergrad alumni. That's the impression that I got at the admit weekend, where I heard that about 10-15% of students live in Hyde Park. I think living in Hyde Park actually could have a number of advantages...but if you are the type of person who will be going to the north side to go bar hopping and drinking at least 2 or 3 nights a week, I think it would just be impossible to live in Hyde Park. That would be a 30-40 dollars cab ride 3 nights a week. Even split between two people, you might as well just take that 500 bucks a month and use it to get a place downtown. HP is a beautiful old Chicago neighborhood though, and if you like a more quiet lifestyle and don't mind a 15 minute train ride downtown on the weekends to meet your study groups at Gleacher Center, I think it's a great option. Plus, HP has the Original Pancake House, which is the best and cheapest place to get Sunday brunch in the city :lol:

Edit: I should add that I am planning on living in Hyde Park, although also sort of considering the south Loop, and yes I am married but have no children.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Is anyone else considering living in or around Hyde Park. My roommate and I spoke today and we decided to add HP to the list of neighborhoods we're considering. Rent is substantially cheaper vs the Loop and South Loop. I just want to make sure that if we do decide to live closer to campus we won't be the only people there.

am planning to as well. very cheap and will be very convenient as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The gods of the waiting list were good to me this season. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the Boothies of the Class of 2014!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hello212 wrote:
The gods of the waiting list were good to me this season. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to the Boothies of the Class of 2014!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:band
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts