Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Class of 2014 - Admitted Students Thread [#permalink]
xzeppelin wrote:
Is nobody else planning to live in Hyde Park? I am married...also a University of Chicago alum, so I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for Hyde Park. Planning on living as close to Hyde Park Produce on 53rd Street as I possibly can. Just a pleasant 10-15 minute walk from the Harper Center / gyms on 56th Street.

Also, does Chicago Booth send out an admissions packet or is everything done electronically now? If they send out an admit packet, have others received it? Domestic/int'ls?

My Booth package came on the 26th... perhaps you have a different address listed on your application?

As a to-be Chicago first timer I'm leaning towards the usual Loop options, but I'm open to other options as well. PM if you want to discuss in more detail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
xzeppelin wrote:
Is nobody else planning to live in Hyde Park? I am married...also a University of Chicago alum, so I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for Hyde Park. Planning on living as close to Hyde Park Produce on 53rd Street as I possibly can. Just a pleasant 10-15 minute walk from the Harper Center / gyms on 56th Street.

Also, does Chicago Booth send out an admissions packet or is everything done electronically now? If they send out an admit packet, have others received it? Domestic/int'ls?

I will definitely be trying to live in Hyde Park, I need at least a 3BR apartment for the family to live in. And yeah as S2S said, yes they do mail out an admit packet and you should have already gotten it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
xzeppelin wrote:

As someone who had lived in hyde park, how long in advance can you get a lease. Say I wanted a lease to start 8/15 or 9/1, what is the earliest that you can set up that lease? Coming from new york you can only do that 2 weeks in advance, but in hyde park I am hoping that is different
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
ajk9999 wrote:
xzeppelin wrote:

As someone who had lived in hyde park, how long in advance can you get a lease. Say I wanted a lease to start 8/15 or 9/1, what is the earliest that you can set up that lease? Coming from new york you can only do that 2 weeks in advance, but in hyde park I am hoping that is different

Since such a large proportion of the Hyde Park community is attached to the university and revolves around its schedule, you'll find no shortage of apartments where the lease is ending around those dates. I think right now is probably a bit early to be looking in the private market, although at high rises in the neighborhood such as Regents Park, where more than a few MBAs live, you can certainly put yourself on the waiting list now. Once summer hits, around June or July...it should be no problem at all to find a place with a lease starting around your time frame.

I would look seriously into renting from the university's graduate student housing program, although most of these apartments will put you around half a mile from the harper center. The advantage is that you don't have to deal with private landlords, the university system is pretty good at getting repairs done quickly, and you are guaranteed not to be living in a building with a bunch of rowdy undergrads, since the housing is open only to grad students. I've already placed my deposit with them and told them my requirements, though my planned move-in date is not until mid-August. They will then make some housing options available to you one month before move-in date (so mid July)...if you aren't happy with what they have available, then they will return your deposit and you'll still have a month and a half to find housing in the private market. Of course, you can continue to look for private housing options while you're waiting for the graduate housing office to get back to you, and if you find something you really love, then you can just tell the housing office you've decided to go with something else, and they will return your deposit to you as well.

Here is the link to graduate housing: https://rs.uchicago.edu/graduate_housing/index.shtml

Personally, I would try to avoid any of the properties in the far southwest corner of the map between 60th and 61st. All of the areas covered here are basically safe, but I would say those are the least so. Also, there is just absolutely nothing going on over there, no grocery store options or anything. You'll find most housing is tucked between 51st (Hyde Park Boulevard) and 55th St. From Hyde Park Boulevard, it will be at least a 20-30 minute walk to the Harper Center, though there are free buses that run regularly. 53rd Street is basically the main commercial street in the neighborhood where you will find restaurants, produce/grocery stores, drug stores etc. There is really no good supermarket in Hyde Park (it qualifies officially as a food desert), but if you're near 53rd you can at least get all the produce and such that you need cheaply on a daily basis, and then you'll only have to head up to the south loop for other durable goods a couple times a month (find a friend with a car...like me :lol: ). If you want to live between 55th and 59th, which is where a lot of professors and the sort live as it's only a <10 minute walk to school, you'll mostly have to go through the private market, and housing there will be a bit more expensive. Same goes for living near the lake shore, which sounds nice but will be at least 10 degrees colder in the morning when you step outside in January and the wind hits you off the lake.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as I haven't lived in Hyde Park for six years, but I've been back a few times since and nothing seems to have changed too much. Feel free to PM me if you want some more specific recommendations.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi all

Congratulations to all admitted students! Wish to see you all this fall!

For those who are going to attend Admit Weekend in April - I propose to take over my booking of the Travelodge Hotel
- Double room, April 19-22 (three days), for $200
- Good location in downtown – it is just a 3-minute walk from the Harrison Subway Station, 10 minutes' walk from Grant Park and Lake Michigan
- free Wi-Fi
- https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/chicago ... lang=en-gb

I have prepaid the room in advance, but now I realized that I can't go.
Please, PM me if you are interested in this proposal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
ls413 wrote:

dsg - In MPP, the 1 BRs range from $1425 - $1465, depending on the floor. I can't remember if floors 16 and above or floors 20 and above go for the higher price.

I spoke with MPP this week and was told that 1BRs start at $1,595.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
MDF wrote:
ls413 wrote:

dsg - In MPP, the 1 BRs range from $1425 - $1465, depending on the floor. I can't remember if floors 16 and above or floors 20 and above go for the higher price.

I spoke with MPP this week and was told that 1BRs start at $1,595.

Did you mention that you will be attending Booth in the Fall? Booth students get a special rate. I already signed a lease for a 1BR in MPP, and I will be paying $1465 per month.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
^ahh, I didn't know that. Thanks!

When are you moving in? I was also told that I couldn't check availability for August until at least June.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MDF wrote:

When are you moving in? I was also told that I couldn't check availability for August until at least June.

My lease begins on July 1, but I will be moving in in August. You can give your name to be put on a waiting list, and they will call you when they know of an upcoming availability. When I visited the school in February, I went to look at MPP and put my name on the list. I wasn't expecting to hear anything from them until at least April, but I got a call a few weeks later because someone had notified them that they would not be renewing their lease. I decided to jump on the opportunity because it was the exact layout that I wanted.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ls413 wrote:
MDF wrote:

My lease begins on July 1, but I will be moving in in August. You can give your name to be put on a waiting list, and they will call you when they know of an upcoming availability. When I visited the school in February, I went to look at MPP and put my name on the list. I wasn't expecting to hear anything from them until at least April, but I got a call a few weeks later because someone had notified them that they would not be renewing their lease. I decided to jump on the opportunity because it was the exact layout that I wanted.

Also, it's likely that things will start to open up soon as second years notify the management company that they will not be renewing their leases.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
^Thanks for the information. I too visited in February, but I was never provided an opportunity to put my name on a list.

I'm going back up at the end of April to check out The Shoreham and The Tides, and MPP and Columbus Plaza (again).

I'm leaning towards a convertible at one of the former two. It's only a couple hundred more than a 1bedroom at MPP, but I'll have a washer and dryer.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Guys, I know that the last several PMs did not reach my account by technical reason.
Now it works well, so if you are interested in the offer below - feel free to PM again :)

Fortius wrote:
Hi all

Congratulations to all admitted students! Wish to see you all this fall!

For those who are going to attend Admit Weekend in April - I propose to take over my booking of the Travelodge Hotel
- Double room, April 19-22 (three days), for $200
- Good location in downtown – it is just a 3-minute walk from the Harrison Subway Station, 10 minutes' walk from Grant Park and Lake Michigan
- free Wi-Fi
- https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/chicago ... lang=en-gb

I have prepaid the room in advance, but now I realized that I can't go.
Please, PM me if you are interested in this proposal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Any GmatClubbers coming to the admit weekend?
Would love to meet you all. Pls DM me if you're attending so we can coordinate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth
Totally shameless plug here, but I'm currently a second year at booth and moving out after graduation in June. I live in a studio apartment in MDA City Apartments downtown, $1425/month and comes with a washer/dryer in the apartment.

My lease ends Sept 15th. I'm looking to see if anyone is interested in taking over my lease starting June 12th or later. It would be convenient to live in until the fall while you get a feel for the city and then sign a longer lease in a place you've scoped out, or if you just want to live in MDA and move in early and then renew my lease into the next year.

Happy to leave furniture (full sized bed, dressers, etc) for super cheap

At any rate, if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM to chat.

Congrats to everyone admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Booth Admits!
I've begun to hear of R1 and R2 applicants who were not awarded scholarships/fellowships at admission hearing of merit awards from Booth starting this week (including myself). Here's hoping there is lots of good news for all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks LRW for the info and congratulations on getting money from Booth!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Have you guys worked with or know of any reliable real estate brokers who can show good places in the Loop / South Loop area? If the services are free, even better!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts