Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 00:10 It is currently 06 May 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16699 [50]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [22]
Given Kudos: 130
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621521 [11]
Given Kudos: 81764
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16699 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the diagram, what is the length of AB? [#permalink]
Hi Mike - In the question that's in the link that you have posted, I am struggling to get how do you get B?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16699 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel - will it possible for you to explain how you make the sides proportion and which sides to make proportionally equal? Is it base to base and height to height ? I hope I am making myself clear. Also, any idea how to solve the question in the link that Mike has provided?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621521 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel - will it possible for you to explain how you make the sides proportion and which sides to make proportionally equal? Is it base to base and height to height ? I hope I am making myself clear. Also, any idea how to solve the question in the link that Mike has provided?

Check this post: length-of-ac-119652.html?hilit=corresponding#p1029262

The ratio of the corresponding sides are equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles).
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28598 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Dear enigma123,

In the problem at the link: https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1022,

Because both Triangles ABE & ACD share (1) a right angle, and (2) angle A, we know they are similar.

Because B is the midpoint of AC, we know 2*(AB) = AC, and thus, the ratio of the two similar triangles is 1:2. In other words, the ratio of any two corresponding sides is equal to 2.

CD/BE = 2, and if we know the length of BE, we can solve for the length of CD. Did you submit your answer and watch the video explanation to the question?

Does what I explain here make sense? Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

Mike :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
The question doesn't even talk of being a right angle triangle. Should we assume the details just because we see it in the image ?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
smartmanav wrote:
The question doesn't even talk of being a right angle triangle. Should we assume the details just because we see it in the image ?

Attachment:
Triangle.png
Triangle.png [ 5.37 KiB | Viewed 64430 times ]

Square signs above (in green circles) indicate that the angles at them are 90 degrees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
smartmanav wrote:

Attachment:
The attachment Triangle.png is no longer available

Square signs above (in green circles) indicate that the angles at them are 90 degrees.

Would you assume the lines as parallel in this question ?
Attachments

File comment: Would you assume the lines as parallel in this question ?
q.JPG
q.JPG [ 18.02 KiB | Viewed 53093 times ]

Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
smartmanav wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
smartmanav wrote:

Attachment:
Triangle.png

Would you assume the lines as parallel in this question ?

Well, the second statement directly gives that DE is parallel to CA (DE||CA), but for the first statement we cannot assume that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hey Bunuel,

When you extend a line from the vertex of a right angle to the hypotunse, each of the new two triangles are similar to the larger one. But are the two smaller triangles similar to one another?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphabeta1234 wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

When you extend a line from the vertex of a right angle to the hypotunse, each of the new two triangles are similar to the larger one. But are the two smaller triangles similar to one another?

Yes, the perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Generally if two triangles are similar to the third one, then they are naturally similar to each other.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2137 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
enigma123 wrote:
In the diagram, what is the length of AB?

(1) BE = 3
(2) DE = 4

Struggling badly to solve this. Please help.

The key ingredient needed to solve this question is triangle similarity.
Two similar triangles have all the angles congruent. Since the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180,
knowing that two pairs of angles in the two triangles are congruent is enough to ensure similarity.
To prove that the height in the right triangle ABC determines two similar triangles, look for the congruent angles.

In the given question, even if you don't know the property that the height to the hypotenuse divides the triangle into two similar triangles (and each of them is similar to the initial right triangle), you can still prove that triangle ABD is similar to triangle BDE:
Both are right angled triangles. In addition, because AB is perpendicular to BC and so is DE, AB is parallel to DE, so angle ABD is congruent to angle BDE.
Two pairs of congruent angles means the two triangles are similar.

Knowing all the sides in the triangle BDE, then writing the proportions and because BD belongs to both triangles, you can find AB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
alphabeta1234 wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

Yes, the perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Generally if two triangles are similar to the third one, then they are naturally similar to each other.

Hey Bunuel,

Thank you very much for your response. I guess then as corrolary to the first question. Since all the angles are the same in all three triangles (let say angles x*,y*, and z*, where z*=90), Is there an easier way to identify which angle is referring to which side in the triangle within the equation you stated, AB/AC=AD/AB=BD/BC? Or are you mentally rotating the triangles making sure angle y* is opposite to AB, angle x* is opposite to AC, and checking it with angle y* opposite to AD, and angle x* is opposite to AB. Are you mentally rotating and checking that the all the sides are in conjunction with (opposite to x*)/(opposite to y*). Or is there an easier, more systematic method your using to ensure that all those sides are in fact in the same proportion.

On another side note, unrelated to my question above:
I also noticed that in your equation that each ratio is of sides of the same triangle equaling the ratio of the other triangle, opposite degree sides. So (Side 1, Triangle A)/(Side 2, Triangle A)=(Side 1 Triangle B)/(Side 2, Triangle B). I always imagined that if Triangle A (sides X,Y,Z) and Triangle B(sides M N P), where triangle A is bigger than B, then their similarity defined the following relationship:

X=Mc , where c is a some positive constant>1 and sides X and M are opposite to the same angle
Y=Nc
Z=Pc

Then the relationship would be defined as c=X/M=Y/N=Z/P= (side 1 Triangle A)/(side 1 Triangle B)=(side 2 Triangle A)/(side 2 Triangle B)=(side 3 Triangle A)/(side 3 Triangle B)
I just noticed that this relationship can always be manipulated to get c=X/M=Y/N ==> new constant=M*c/Y=X/Y=M/N=(Side 1 Triangle A)/(Side 2 Triangle A)=(Side 1 Triangle B)/(Side 2 Triangle B), which i think is very interesting. Same sides of the triangle are also in proportion to the same sides of the other triangle and another new constant the related the two triangles is embedded within the relationship of the triangles own sides!!! (eek, hope that made sense)

I also learned from you that if you had two similar triangles then (Area Triangle A)/(Area Triangle B)=(Side 1 Triangle A)^2/(Side 2 Triangle B)^2.

Are there any other key relationships that are important about similar triangles?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(1) BE = 3
(2) DE = 4

Attachment:
Triangle2.GIF

Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular BD divides right triangle ABC into two similar triangles ADB and BDC (which are also similar to big triangle ABC). Now, in these three triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles). For example: AB/AC=AD/AB=BD/BC. This property (sometimes along with Pythagoras) will give us the following: if we know ANY 2 values from AB, AD, AC, BC, BD, CD then we'll be able to find the other 4.

The same works for triangle BDC with perpendicular DE.

We know that BD=5 thus one more side and we'll be able to find any other line segment in the diagram.

(1) BE = 3. Sufficient.
(2) DE = 4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I understand that a line perpendicular to a hyp will always create TWO similar triangles. That being said, line BD creates ADB and BDC. Correct?

Now, we have another segment DE, since it's perpendicular to BC, it will create BED and DEC. Correct?

Are BED and DEC similar to ADB and BDC or are the two groups standalone? The reason why I ask is because they are both segmented off another hypotenuse?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621521 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

(1) BE = 3
(2) DE = 4

Attachment:
Triangle2.GIF

Perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular BD divides right triangle ABC into two similar triangles ADB and BDC (which are also similar to big triangle ABC). Now, in these three triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles). For example: AB/AC=AD/AB=BD/BC. This property (sometimes along with Pythagoras) will give us the following: if we know ANY 2 values from AB, AD, AC, BC, BD, CD then we'll be able to find the other 4.

The same works for triangle BDC with perpendicular DE.

We know that BD=5 thus one more side and we'll be able to find any other line segment in the diagram.

(1) BE = 3. Sufficient.
(2) DE = 4. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I understand that a line perpendicular to a hyp will always create TWO similar triangles. That being said, line BD creates ADB and BDC. Correct?

Now, we have another segment DE, since it's perpendicular to BC, it will create BED and DEC. Correct?

Are BED and DEC similar to ADB and BDC or are the two groups standalone? The reason why I ask is because they are both segmented off another hypotenuse?

Angles in ABC are identical to those in ABD and BDC.
Angles in BDC are identical to those in BDE and DEC.

Obviously, angles in all those triangles are identical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Can we do this by using isosceles triangle property for triangle ABD in which angle ABD is 45 ( BD is dropping a perpendicular ) so angle A is 45 hence AD is also 5 and we can calculate AB via Pythagoras and same can be done for remaining angles as well.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
shekharshrek wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can we do this by using isosceles triangle property for triangle ABD in which angle ABD is 45 ( BD is dropping a perpendicular ) so angle A is 45 hence AD is also 5 and we can calculate AB via Pythagoras and same can be done for remaining angles as well.

BD is not a bisector of angle B, so ABD is NOT 45 degrees. BD would be a bisector if AB were equal to BC in this case the perpendicular from B will coincide with the bisector from B.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2699 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I have solved this one , but I have one question though... It was not really important (because its a DS) which sides to (short or long leg) to write in tha ratio, BUT for a PS question it's important. HOw one can know which sides are corresponding ? In this picture it's not easy to identify short and long leg....?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
93032 posts