GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 08:10

LIVE NOW!

LBS is Calling R1 Admits - Join Chat Room to Catch the Latest Action

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

In the diagram, what is the length of AB?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: In the diagram, what is the length of AB?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 14:48
BrainLab wrote:
I have solved this one , but I have one question though... It was not really important (because its a DS) which sides to (short or long leg) to write in tha ratio, BUT for a PS question it's important. HOw one can know which sides are corresponding ? In this picture it's not easy to identify short and long leg....?

Dear BrainLab,
I'm happy to respond. :-) We can figure out everything we need about proportional sides by keeping track of the angles. Here's what I mean.

1) Look at the big triangle, ABC. Right angle at B. Say that the angle BAD has a measure of A and the angle DCE has a measure of C. We know that A and C are complementary angles, that is, A + C = 90 degrees. It appears that A > C, which means that BC > AB. Let's assume that is the relationship of these two angles.

2) Look at triangle ABD. Right angle at C. The angle at vertex A still has a measure of A, so the angle at vertex B, angle ABD, just have a measure of C. Again, A > C, so (angle BAD) > (angle ABD), which means that BD > AD.

3) Look at triangle DEC. Right angle at C. The angle at vertex C still has a measure of C, so the angle at vertex D, angle EDC, just have a measure of A. Again, A > C, so (angle EDC) > (angle ECD), which means that EC > DE.

4) Now, look at triangle BED. Right angle at E.
angle (BDE) = 90 - (angle EDC) = 90 - A = C
angle (DBE) = 90 - (angle ABD) = 90 - C = A
Again, A > C, so (angle DBE) > (angle BDE), which means that ED > BE.

Here is a highly accurate diagram of the situation, with the angles color-coded so you can see which angle equals which.
Attachment:
triangle with colored angles.JPG
triangle with colored angles.JPG [ 17.12 KiB | Viewed 1189 times ]

Notice that the light green angle (A) plus the purple angle (C) equals a right angle, and that every triangle in the diagram has one light green angle, one purple angle, and one right angle. In each case, the leg opposite the purple angle is less than the leg opposite the light green angle.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 02:17
I disagree with this question.

It should be clearly stated that the line BD goes from the base to the vertex B. We can't simply trust the image and assume that the line goes straight to B. What if it is slightly on the left\right?

I think that the answer should be E, although I understand the "intention" of the question is to be D.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 07:02
iliavko wrote:
I disagree with this question.

It should be clearly stated that the line BD goes from the base to the vertex B. We can't simply trust the image and assume that the line goes straight to B. What if it is slightly on the left\right?

I think that the answer should be E, although I understand the "intention" of the question is to be D.

Dear iliavko,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, there are a few things that we always can assume on GMAT diagram. One is that if a line segment appears to connect to a point, it actually does connect to that point. You yourself referred to that segment as BD: we don't even have a way of talking about it except to refer to its endpoints, so it would be duplicitous for the GMAT to allow for the segment to have an endpoint something other then the obvious endpoint. If any segment looks like it goes to a point, you can assume that it is God-given truth that the segment in fact does go to that point.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 07:17
Great, Mike!

Thank you a lot for this clarification.

Honestly after so many wrong assumptions I have difficulty to trust any diagrams in DS :)

Cheers!
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 02:04
We are given a right triangle that is cut into four smaller right triangles. Each smaller triangle was formed by drawing a perpendicular from the right angle of a larger triangle to that larger triangle's hypotenuse. When a right triangle is divided in this way, two similar triangles are created. And each one of these smaller similar triangles is also similar to the larger triangle from which it was formed.
Thus, for example, triangle ABD is similar to triangle BDC, and both of these are similar to triangle ABC. Moreover, triangle BDE is similar to triangle DEC, and each of these is similar to triangle BDC, from which they were formed. If BDE is similar to BDC and BDC is similar to ABD, then BDE must be similar to ABD as well.
Remember that similar triangles have the same interior angles and the ratio of their side lengths are the same. So the ratio of the side lengths of BDE must be the same as the ratio of the side lengths of ABD. We are given the hypotenuse of BDE, which is also a leg of triangle ABD. If we had even one more side of BDE, we would be able to find the side lengths of BDE and thus know the ratios, which we could use to determine the sides of ABD.
(1) SUFFICIENT: If BE = 3, then BDE is a 3-4-5 right triangle. BDE and ABD are similar triangles, as discussed above, so their side measurements have the same proportion. Knowing the three side measurements of BDE and one of the side measurements of ABD is enough to allow us to calculate AB.

To illustrate:
BD = 5 is the hypotenuse of BDE, while AB is the hypotenuse of ABD.
The longer leg of right triangle BDE is DE = 4, and the corresponding leg in ABD is BD = 5.

Since they are similar triangles, the ratio of the longer leg to the hypotenuse should be the same in both BDE and ABD.
For BDE, the ratio of the longer leg to the hypotenuse = 4/5.
For ABD, the ratio of the longer leg to the hypotenuse = 5/AB.
Thus, 4/5 = 5/AB, or AB = 25/4 = 6.25

(2) SUFFICIENT: If DE = 4, then BDE is a 3-4-5 right triangle. This statement provides identical information to that given in statement (1) and is sufficient for the reasons given above.

The correct answer is D.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Intern
Intern
In the diagram, what is the length of AB?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:06
Hi,
I have a doubt in this question and similar questions like these. In this particular question I got the answer 25/3 because the proportion I set up was BE/BD=BD/AB. How does one identify which base and height of one 90 degree triangle matches with which height and base for another? Please help. It seems like I’m missing some obvious point. Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 05:24
geetikavig wrote:
Hi,
I have a doubt in this question and similar questions like these. In this particular question I got the answer 25/3 because the proportion I set up was BE/BD=BD/AB. How does one identify which base and height of one 90 degree triangle matches with which height and base for another? Please help. It seems like I’m missing some obvious point. Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

I think this is addressed couple of time in this thread. The main idea is that the ratio of the corresponding sides are equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior DS Moderator
D
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 22:16
The Best approach shall be using graphical method, mentally drawing the figure to find whether the figure can be uniquely constructed with the information given.
if we can construct the figure uniquely, We can find all angles, length of sides , any data related to the figure.

See the graphical approach as per the Sketch attached.
Attachments

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-01 at 11.38.02.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-01 at 11.38.02.jpeg [ 124.17 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Win GMAT CLUB Test- Weekly Quant Quiz Contest
Weekly Quant Quiz Questions- Direct Download
SC: Confusable words

All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the diagram, what is the length of AB? &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 22:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

In the diagram, what is the length of AB?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap