Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [4]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Re: In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several [#permalink]
In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one participating country to be sold in any of the others.
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - this is redundant
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - this is redundant
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one - among is incorrect to use here
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one - correct
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that - this is redundant

my logic here is agreement can happen between any 2 countries only at a time so we need a between here not among. Eliminate C

Correct choice is D.

OA please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

hence C, as agreement is among canada and more than one european countries

I did not understand. Can you please elaborate your though process here?
+1 A
OE
B – Use of past perfect tense had is not required
C – which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars
D - Use of past perfect tense had is not required. Which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars
E – that at the end of the sentence does not make any sense

:-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE
D - Use of past perfect tense had is not required. Which incorrectly refers to Europe instead of cars

I agree "had" is an incorrect usage in this context...but how about agreement being repeated.
it sounds very awkward, doesnt it?

Originally posted by yashii9 on 08 Oct 2012, 04:05.
Last edited by yashii9 on 08 Oct 2012, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE

I agree "had" is an incorrect usage in this context...but how about agreement being repeated.
it sound very awkward, doesnt it?

True. Maybe the use of a generic simile such as "contracts" would have made the sentence a better framed one but the use of "arguments" is in no way wrong. But among the choices given A is the best option because
B. Unnecessary use of past perfect
C. "which" refers to Europe and hence makes the sentence convey the meaning that "Europe" allowed any car.
D. Mistakes in B and D combined
E. Between-Or is incorrect idiomatic usage.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [0]
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
mishtyme wrote:
Between A and B
Among A and others

+1 A
OE

Not meaning to sound like a know it all but I think "which" should actually be referring to "agreements". Ofcourse I could also be wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [0]
Send PM
yashii9 wrote:

:-D Good point Yashii. Let us solve this together. As per your opinion "agreement" is redundant. Lets us omit it.

A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, that allowed any car authorized in one.

Now tell me, is this what you think have been a better answer? If yes then how do you justify the use of comma? Your thoughts?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:

:-D Good point Yashii. Let us solve this together. As per your opinion "agreement" is redundant. Lets us omit it.

A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, that allowed any car authorized in one.

Now tell me, is this what you think have been a better answer? If yes then how do you justify the use of comma? Your thoughts?

:)

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D is still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me much in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

A is not just redundant, i also feel that the argument sounds awkward.

I picked D over A and overlooked use of "which" over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
yashii9 wrote:
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

its not just redundant i also feel that the argument A sounds awkward.

I picked D between A, D and overlooked use of which over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think

A steadfast rule is that "which" modifies the exact word preceding it. Hence, in this sentence "which" refers to Europe and is wrong. So even if option A might sound awkward, option D is wrong. Hence between awkward and wrong, awkward would be a better option.

To take it more into perspective, Sentence D is contructed in a manner similar to

Lets say a black dog is chasing a cat. A similar construction to choice D would be something like

The dog chased the cat, which was black in color. This clearly distorts the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 962 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yashii9 wrote:

use of which in D is incorrect. I felt D is still better than A.

and seriously use of Had does not trouble me much in this one because we dont have 2 clauses with different time frames, or anything that links this agreement to present.

A is not just redundant, i also feel that the argument sounds awkward.

I picked D over A and overlooked use of "which" over awkward construction of A. :(

What do you think

First of all in Option D,
Use of which is incorrect (I hope we both agree, one gramaticcal reason is enough to eliminate the sentence)
Secondly, why do we need a past perfect here? Past perfect is used when there are two time frames. Is not it? As you, yourself stated that there are no two time frames, Use of Past perfect is wrong.

Coming to redundancy, a comma should not precede "that". Agreements was intentionally inserted to make that sentence correct by taking the comma away from "that"

Makes sense?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
A steadfast rule is that "which" modifies the exact word preceding it. Hence, in this sentence "which" refers to Europe and is wrong. So even if option A might sound awkward, option D is wrong. Hence between awkward and wrong, awkward would be a better option.

To take it more into perspective, Sentence D is contructed in a manner similar to

Lets say a black dog is chasing a cat. A similar construction to choice D would be something like

The dog chased the cat, which was black in color. This clearly distorts the meaning.

when I re-visited this questions everything seems plausible
but when we r solving a question in exam....we go from A...to E and
if i have already eliminated A its so hard to not get this one wrong. :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
In 1994 agreements existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one participating country to be sold in any of the others.
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - Correct, agreements that is noun + noun modifier that can modify any entity.
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one - Wrong verb
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one - which modifies Europe here and among is wrong. Correct Idiom is Between X and Y.
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
A. existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
B. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in one
C. existed among Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
D. had existed between Canada and several countries in Europe, which allowed any car authorized in one
E. existed between Canada or several countries in Europe, agreements that allowed any car authorized in that

Sorry for a silly question, but in the second part of the sentence agreements that allowed any car....... This is a noun+ noun modifier , so don't we need a full verb for this noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
Present perfect not required as there is only one action in the past.
B and D eliminated.
Between Or is wrong idiom E eliminated.
Among cant be used for two entities Canada and several other countries(single entity).

IMO A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts