Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 23:51 It is currently 02 May 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4469 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2586 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4469 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2586 [0]
Send PM
Re: Can a noun and a verb can become parallel? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'm glad that we've been able to help you on SC. :)

Based on sentence structure and the principle of parallelism, the answer to your question is no. You would not see a verb and noun as parallel elements pointing to the same subject. A subject can have 2 parallel verbs (I run and eat.), or it can have 2 parallel noun objects (I eat pizza and hamburgers.), but the verb and noun object would not be viewed as parallel (I eat pizza), they would just be viewed as separate elements in the sentence.

Perhaps you have an example? I would be happy to review it...

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
Hey Kyle.
Many thanks for reverting back to me.
Must say, you Manhattan guys are the most helpful in that you produce Sentence Correction "Gita"-a holy book in Hindu religion- and always stay ahead to answer students.
Earlier, I had a nice interaction with Tommy Wallach also and was just helpful as you are.
By the way, going back to question I was asking, I found my mistake and as far as I know now, a verb and a noun can't be parallel. Its a request that if you come across any such question, do post it.
Thanks in advance.
By the way, just for my information, did I wrote the correct GMAT english above.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Glad to hear we are able to help you out!

Your grammar was very good. There are just a few errors, like the verb tense at the end should be "write" not "wrote" and you should include the pronoun when talking about Tommy's help.

Best of luck!

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
Hahaha....
Yeah got my mistake.
Seems as if the "nice interaction" was helpful rather than Tommy.
Well thanks a ton.
Director
Director
Send PM
hey Kyle.
I think I have found such question.

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

(A) having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

My doubt is :
in A) aren't "Having been prescribed" and "having been taken.." nouns?
in B) isn't "Having a drug prescription" a verb which is being compared to a gerund "being'?
Moreover, in A, should'nt "for example" be followed by a comma?

Will be waiting for your explanation.
Thanks in advance
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
hey Kyle.
I think I have found such question.

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

(A) having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

My doubt is :
in A) aren't "Having been prescribed" and "having been taken.." nouns?
in B) isn't "Having a drug prescription" a verb which is being compared to a gerund "being'?
Moreover, in A, should'nt "for example" be followed by a comma?

Will be waiting for your explanation.
Thanks in advance

Interesting example, what is the source? To resoond to your areas of doubt, in A) the phrases are adverbial modifiers (kind of a variant of the perfect tense), so they aren't nouns and in that construction they are parallel. The adverbial modifiers are pretty complex in A, but here is a simpler example showing a similar structure: I went to bed early and didn't eat dinner, having to suffer hunger pains throughout the night. The grammar in this example isn't amazing, but "having" in my example is an adverbial modifier and the adverbial phrase modifies the preceding independent clause. In B) "having" and "being" are both present participles (not verbs) that are acting as modifiers and those participle forms are parallel (though I should note that being is almost always incorrect on the GMAT). Here is a quick example about how those participles aren't verbs: He having a sandwich. That sentence is incomplete because there isn't a verb. In order for a participle to be a verb it needs a helping verb: He is having a sandwich. So while this question might appear to make nouns parallel with verbs, it's just an issue of participles looking like nouns.

Lastly, "for example" is a non-essential phrase in that instance and should be offset by commas and the trailing comma is missing.

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
Hey Kyle.
Many thanks for the reply and I really appreciate your consistence response.
Now to answer your first question,
"what is the source?".
I was searching for some brutal sc questions on the club and somehow I got my eyes on this one. Even the poster of this question had no idea about the source, anyways who cares of the source when one can get hands on such questions and such experts(Kyle, this one was for you).
Okay now returning to the question, can you suggest how to pick the right answer. The OA seems to be B.
Director
Director
Send PM
Regarding the adverbial modifier concept, I must say studying Shrodinger wave equation was much better rather than learning so many modifiers. I am just sick now of the phrase "......modifies the entire previous clause". Whether it be absolute phrase, noun modifiers and ,not to forget, appositives, which is quite cute in these terms modifying just the previous noun.
Also, should I consider the missing of comma after "for example" a typo and move on?
Director
Director
Send PM
can you please provide me a link of such modifier based questions that includes absolute phrase, noun modifiers and adverbial modifiers. I feel if I clear my concept in these questions , then no "meaning" based question would be too difficult.
Thanks in advance.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Haha, I'm laughing at your comparison between quantum mechanics and modiiers. :)

The OA on this question is A (see this thread some-patients-who-do-not-respond-therapies-of-depression-may-83070.html) and it looks like the original does have a comma. The OA wouldn't be B because of "being".

As for sources of modifer questions, I don't have a lot of "free" resources for you. If you have access to the MGMAT OG Archer, it categorizes all the question types. I also found this link (from the GMAT Club) that categorizes OG 12 questions (download/file2.php?id=12850). Review all the modifier questions to see how you do. I would think you could find something similar for OG 13.

Best of luck! I'm off to study up on my quantum theory. :)

KW
Director
Director
Send PM
Haha...
Btw need your help in another thread.
added-to-the-increase-in-hourly-wages-requested-last-july-82386-20.html#p1137488
Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts