Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 29 May 2017, 09:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2008, 18:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:05) correct 47% (01:19) wrong based on 974 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 2

Re: Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being( DRUG PRESCRIPTION WAS INEFFECTIVE: NOT RIGHT)
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were ( I DONT THINK " WERE" IS CORRECT IN THIS STATEMENT)
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been( AGAIN LOW DOSAGE DRUG PRESCRIPTION: NOT RIGHT

I am finding difficult to differentiate between A and C
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 268 [4] , given: 18

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 17:26
This post received
KUDOS
This question is from Brutal_SCs.doc.

It has many obvious typos, both here and in the word file.

It should be:

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

- "respond to therapies for depression" rather than "respond therapies of depression".
- for example takes a comma after
- "prescribed at a dosage" rather than "prescribed as a dosage"

The answer is A.

Please kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2009, 07:33
A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been ...PARALLEL AND PARTICIPLE PHRASE CONTUNING THE COMMA..CORRECT
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
BEING is ICORRRECT..HAS TO BE PAST PERFECT CO
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
SENTENCE CANNOT START WITH AS AFTER COMMA
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
WHEN CANNO START A SETNCE ATER COMMA
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
UNPARALLEL
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2010, 07:21
kylexy wrote:
skg wrote:
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being( DRUG PRESCRIPTION WAS INEFFECTIVE: NOT RIGHT)
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were ( I DONT THINK " WERE" IS CORRECT IN THIS STATEMENT)
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been( AGAIN LOW DOSAGE DRUG PRESCRIPTION: NOT RIGHT

I am finding difficult to differentiate between A and C

Hi "being" is always considered as a wrong statement in GMAT....so you can eliminate B and C straight away.

ans: A

cheers
kyle

Though I'd go for A...here's something slightly off-track...

I think Option D would be correct if the sentence had been - Some patients...may simply have received inadequate treatment when they were prescribed a drug dosage too low to be effective or, were taken off a drug too soon.

What do you think...I'd want to get my concepts right here ...esp. the usage of 'were' for Option D.

D'oh, I slipped on logic!

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 181

Kudos [?]: 882 [0], given: 621

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 00:05
:shock: weird sentence

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been [highlight]taken off a drug[/highlight]too soon.
A.[highlight]having, for example, been prescribed a drug[/highlight][strike]at a dosage too low to be effective[/strike] [highlight]or having been[/highlight] - only this is parallel
B. having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C. as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D. when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
E. for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 02:15
I chose the wrong answer because I thought there is no comma in A after FOR EXAMPLE, hence it has to be wrong.
When I checked the questions in GMAT PREP, there was a comma.
So moderators please correct the question and add comma after FOR EXAMPLE in A.

Nanquam Fractum

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 77 [5] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
should be A

Parallel A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been

a drug prescription can not be ineffective B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being

as, ....., having too low of a dosage - you can't have dosage, you have dose C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were

in GMAT, when has to refer to a specific time, not an instance E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2011, 15:00
Way too many typos for this question to be good for studying.

Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

The correct problem stem should change "as" to "at". I discarded A and didn't like any other options due to the typo.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2011, 11:16
sher676 wrote:
Some patients who do not respond therapies of depression may simply have received inadequate treatment, having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon.

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
B -- having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Hi All,
Cant vouch for "A" becasue i'm not sure what does it mean by "[highlight]a drug as a dosage too low[/highlight]"? I agree we've parallelism in Option A.
How about Option "E" ? I understand "When" is incorrect but will "E" be better option if we replace
"When" with "Either" -
for example, [highlight]when[/highlight]they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
for example, [highlight]EITHER[/highlight]they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

Let me know your thought.
Peace!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 10:15

A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been CORRECT!
C -- as, for example, having too low of a dosage of prescribed drug for it to be effetive, or being

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2012, 16:45
A -- having, for example, been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been
D -- when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were - not parallel been prescribed or been
E -- for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been- not parallel
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2012, 11:37
Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment,
having,(for example),been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug
too soon.

Parallelism .

Check other options
B-having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
C-as, (for example), having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being
D-when they have, (for example), been prescribed too low a drug dosage for it to be effective, or were
E-for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been

A is the Answer

Hope it is clear... :-D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2012, 20:40

Here's my two cents.

For this particular question, it is essential to understand the meaning first.

1. Some patients don't respond to therapies for depression
2. The reason may be the inadequate treatment
3. low dosage prescription
4. took off a drug

Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment,

'may have received' is the present perfect tense. The changes in the treatment has recently happened. In order to throw good examples, the examples must have been changed recently to reflect the present perfect tense.

(A) having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been
sounds little wordy but correct

(B) having, for example, a drug prescription that was ineffective because the dosage was too low, or being
meaning is changed. sounds like the patient intended to hold onto an ineffective drug.

(C) as, for example, having too low of a dosage of a prescribed drug for it to be effective, or being

'as' is referring to the treatment. No sense

(D) when they have, for example, been prescribed too low a drug dosage to be effective, or were
lack of parallelism

(E) for example, when they have a drug prescription with a dosage too low to be effective, or been
'for example' sounds like modifying the treatment.

Please correct me if wrong.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 171

Kudos [?]: 1613 [1] , given: 229

Premium Member Reviews Badge
GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Some patients who do not respond to the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NEW PROJECT!: Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point for best explanation

A. having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 3115 [4] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Some patients who do not respond to the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2014, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Correct. Parallelism: modifier // modifier.

Wrong. Not parallel.
Note: "being" used as modifier --> always wrong in GMAT. If "being" is used as verb (passive continuous), it may be correct.

Wrong. Same as B.

Wrong. Verb tense problem. "have been prescribed" & "were taken off" are NOT parallel.
"When" is not necessary.

Wrong. Not parallel.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPREP ChallengeQ -Some patients who do not respond to the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2014, 12:58
Here is my explanation with some additional concepts:

Statements beginning with 'having' are tricky and you have to be extra careful using them. Generally these statements refer to an event that has happened prior to another event mentioned in the sentence. Now lets move on to the first answer choice: the 2 events 'drug prescription' and 'patients being taken off a drug too soon' happened before the event 'when some patients did not respond to therapies for depression';

Therefore you can also read the sentence as Having, for example, been prescribed a drug at a dosage too low to be effective or having been taken off a drug too soon, Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression may simply have received inadequate treatment.

So this answer choice looks good to me. Moreover the parallelism between 'having' clauses maintains the sanctity of the answer choice. Additionally, also remember that a verb form of a word is always preferred over the noun form or adjective form. Therefore, 'prescribe' as a verb is preferred over 'prescription' as a noun or 'prescribed' as an adjective.

Problem with this statement is that there is no parallelism between clauses beginning with 'having' and 'being'; also refer the usage of being as mentioned here by eGMAT http://gmatclub.com/forum/correct-usage-of-being-123156.html

Again the same problem as that of option B. Moreover the problem is compounded with the use of 'as having'...wierd!!

Always be careful when you see 'when' :-D, for 'when' should preferably refer to some event in time. Here there is none!! In addition to that, the parallelism between 'when' and 'were' is WRONG.

Similar explanation as that of D, additionally look at the weird parallelism between the two clauses.

I hope my explanation helped.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 01:52
sher676 wrote:

Answer – A
underlined portion shall provide an example or explanation to the first argument that patients have received inadequate treatment.
Lets park decision on A after first reading.
B – prescription that was ineffective makes wrong sense. It shall be a drug which was ineffective. Hence a meaning error.
C – ‘it’ pronoun is ambiguious. We are not sure if it modifies ‘dosage’ or a ‘drug’.
D – it uses another clause. First clause is not properly connected with new clause by using ‘comma + when’ connector. Additionally, it makes parallelism error – they have been.... or (they) were...
E – same as in option D. Parallelism error – they have ... or been ... Additionally, this option uses ‘with’ to modify prescription (ie. Noun). It is wrong usage of with. Here with has not been used as a preposition. Further, the meaning conveys that prescripiton – too low to be effective (meaning error).
Hence, option A is the best choice. It uses correct parallelism – having been ... or having been.

Kudos please.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 02:32
I ruled out A as:
I thought since the sentence is giving two examples 'having been prescribed ..' and 'having been taken off...' both should follow after 'for example'. So it should look like - "for example, having been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been"

How can I make myself familiar with this kind of structure.

Is E incorrect because -
'have a drug prescription (simple present/active)' and 'have been taken off (present perfect/passive) are not parallel. Which one is a bigger deal tense or voice change?

Is this an OG problem?

Experts pls help
Director
Director
B
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 07:40
Nina1987 wrote:
I ruled out A as:
I thought since the sentence is giving two examples 'having been prescribed ..' and 'having been taken off...' both should follow after 'for example'. So it should look like - "for example, having been prescribed a drug as a dosage too low to be effective or having been"

How can I make myself familiar with this kind of structure.

Hi Nina1987, for example is basically used as a Parenthetical Expression here. Such constructs give a slight pause/interrupt the main clause. Some example:

Usain Bolt, by all measures, is the best sprinter the world has ever seen.

Peter, in all likelihood, will join Wharton.

I believe this is the reason why you chose E, because all other options use Parenthetical Expression.

Quote:
Is E incorrect because -
'have a drug prescription (simple present/active)' and 'have been taken off (present perfect/passive) are not parallel. Which one is a bigger deal tense or voice change?

Neither tense nor voice is a big deal, in the sense that different parts of the sentence can be in different tense/voice. It depends on the context. An easy way to eliminate E is because it seems to suggest that prescription has a low dosage (while in reality, drug has a low dosage).

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Some patients who do not respond to therapies for depression   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2016, 07:40

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ]