Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval: 680 GMAT, 3.1 GPA, Non-traditional applicant [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Accepted.com wrote:
jxcho wrote:
Hi Accepted(dot)com,

This is a copy of my post in the peer review forum but I'd love to get your input as well. Here it is:

Demographics: 22, Male, Canadian
GMAT: 680, 45Q, 38V, 6.0 AWA, 8 IR

Education:
  • BBA, General Management, 3.1 GPA from relatively obscure public US university, received minor student award
  • Graduate Certificate in Applied Statistics, Penn State (starting Jan 2013, may upgrade to Masters post-MBA)
Work Experience:
  • Worked full-time during both high school and university
  • 3 years in an administrative position for a professional sports team, finalist for an industry award for Best Administrative Services
  • 2 years working for government contractor in Canada in public safety, promoted to supervise 25-40 employees after 1 year, elected union steward representing 450 union members
  • 1 year of freelance work doing some consumer goods purchasing at Asian trade fairs for North American retail companies (honestly I felt like I was puttering around... but I obviously won't write that)
  • Current (just started): Working in government HR department in a communications role

Extracurriculars: ~7 weeks of political volunteering in the past, ~2 years of involvement as a trade union advocate both inside and outside the workplace. Delivered speeches to over 300 people which were very well-received

Career goals: Social enterprise, because of my strong belief in public service and my personal background

Schools:
  • "Dream schools": Kellogg, Haas, Johnson, Yale
  • Already applied to: Johnson, Stern
  • Probably applying to: Kelley, Kellogg, Fuqua
  • Also considering: Ross, Goizueta, Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, McDonough, McCombs
  • Preferred Location: Prefer US NE, also happy with Midwest, California or Mid-Atlantic, prefer not SE or Texas (except Austin)
Uniqueness:
  • Worked full time while studying full time, finished undergrad degree in 4 years
  • First-generation immigrant (to Canada) and first-generation university graduate
  • Holds commercial pilot licence, 300 hours in light aircraft
  • Was a key figure in repairing the employer-union relationship as a union steward and subsequently negotiated the best collective agreement of its kind in Canada, averting a crippling strike
International Experience:
  • Lived in Korea, Canada, US and Taiwan
  • Native-level English, intermediate levels of proficiency in Chinese, Korean and French
  • Travelled to over 15 different countries in last 2 years, particularly keen on emerging markets

Recommenders ("pool" of people who agreed to write for me):
  • Just started current job so cannot use current manager as a recommender
  • Former college statistics instructor (taught me for one semester, got A+)
  • Former manager and also actually former flight instructor (strange coincidence, he is a business guy who wanted to fly so he did that for a bit), knows me very well as a person and employee
  • Former trade union executive who worked closely with me during negotiations and union meetings
  • Former co-worker who worked in another department but knows me well
  • Former co-worker who is currently a federal police officer

Other:
  • Taking a maths and computer programming course p/t from local university to improve quantitative side of application (although I do have more quantitative aptitude than my GMAT would suggest)
  • Also taking stats certificate from Penn State partly to show my commitment to proving my quantitative ability
  • Considering retaking GMAT

Sorry for the unwieldy length but I tried to organise everything so it was easy to read. I would like to know peoples' thoughts mainly on my admissions chances and which schools I should target. I have been reassured in the past that I can think about many of those schools on my list but my non-traditional background makes me a little unsure of myself for things like this. I plan to apply to 6-8 schools, so I'd like to compile a list of maybe 1-2 "reach" schools, 3-4 target schools and 2-3 safety schools. Thanks for your help!

You are hard to assess because of your youth, your mediocre (for top schools) GPA and GMAT. On the other hand you have distinctive work experience, leadership, a distinctive goal, and international exposure. With your current GMAT, Haas and Kellogg are big stretches. As is NYU Stern. Yale, Duke, Johnson, Goizueta, Kelley are more realistic. I think you should also consider Georgetown. I haven't really suggested a safety program here, because I think you would be better off retaking the GMAT and applying later if you don't get into these programs.

Best
Linda

Raising your GMAT and GPA would really improve your chances. And if you don't succeed this year, time will take care of the youth. :-)

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Linda, I know my profile is tough to evaluate so I appreciate your effort.
GMAT Club Bot