Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Wharton w/no $ vs. Columbia + $$$

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Re: Wharton w/no $ vs. Columbia + $$$ [#permalink]
Kudos
Sounds like you prefer Wharton, if you think you'll regret passing up Wharton every day while you're at Columbia then I wouldn't let the money change your mind. However, I don't think you can really go wrong here. Edit: another thought is you will spend much more money at Columbia living in NYC than you will in Philly.

On a selfish note, I just got into CBS on Friday... did they tell you about the fellowship when they called you? Or did you find out about it later on? They didn't mention any money so just trying to make sure that's it for me. My online status hasn't been updated yet..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
ThreeWes wrote:
Sounds like you prefer Wharton, if you think you'll regret passing up Wharton every day while you're at Columbia then I wouldn't let the money change your mind.

100% agree with this. Money comes and goes, but you've only got one life to live. Playing the "what if" game is miserable, especially if you control your own destiny.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ThreeWes wrote:
Sounds like you prefer Wharton, if you think you'll regret passing up Wharton every day while you're at Columbia then I wouldn't let the money change your mind. However, I don't think you can really go wrong here. Edit: another thought is you will spend much more money at Columbia living in NYC than you will in Philly.

On a selfish note, I just got into CBS on Friday... did they tell you about the fellowship when they called you? Or did you find out about it later on? They didn't mention any money so just trying to make sure that's it for me. My online status hasn't been updated yet..

ThreeWes - They told me about the fellowship when they called. I don't know if it's necessarily "it" if you don't get the fellowship designation right away. For whatever reason, I'd assume that smaller fellowships/scholarships would be decided later on. But I could be very wrong. Can any previous admits chime in on this?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. A couple of you hit the nail right on the head - I do have a preference toward Wharton (and have always had, having gone to Penn for grad school). But that's also partly a function of not knowing the Columbia environment as well, which I will certainly try to get more of in the coming month.

It's actually kind of surprising that it seems only the pro-Wharton contingent has commented. There are certainly people who voted for Columbia ... but maybe because they thought their reasoning was fairly obvious?

Which leads me to wondering if the distinction between Wharton and Columbia is really *that* clear that only money or some very obvious issues of fit would sway one toward Columbia over Wharton.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
From my perspective, if money were no issue, the only reasons I would expect someone to matriculate at Columbia over Wharton are: fit, a need/desire to live in NYC, and Columbia's value investing program, which I hear has a fantastic reputation. Otherwise, I think Wharton's strengths mirror those of Columbia and Wharton is (generally) regarded more highly among people in the know and the general populace.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats. I, similar to yourself, have a strong affinity towards Wharton. If I were in your shoes, I would still take Wharton. Although the first year of tuition would be nice to have covered, I would also factor in the much higher cost of living in NYC. Keep that in mind.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [4]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Okay I voted for Columbia so I will speak up. It is certainly true that Wharton is more highly regarded than CBS and for certain career fields that is very important. If you said you wanted a buyside role for a Private Equity firm or Hedge Fund then definitely there is a big difference in recruiting between Wharton and Columbia. Outside of those ultra-selective roles though I doubt there are too many doors that Wharton opens you up to that Columbia will not. The way I see it money = freedom or the inverse, debt limits your options. If it will cover your first year that is almost $60,000. That is a lot of money and means significantly less debt. I have no doubt that you can land a job to pay off your debt out of Wharton but it will effect how you evaluate your options. When you have close to six-figure debt hanging over your head needing repayment your salary and bonus will weigh much more heavily on your job choice than how much you actually love the job.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [4]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Since Columbia's free, go to both. ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Two MBAs at the same time does sound like a terrific plan. haha.

The point about the higher cost of living in NYC is certainly valid, though I've realized that, in my mind, I'd like to spend about the same amount of money for an apartment in Philly. The big difference is size and space - I'd certainly get more bang for the buck in Philly. Transportation and general living expenses will likely be a bit less expensive.

More thinking to do. Thanks for your thoughts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I think I'm a little unusual among GCers in that I love these "vs." threads. I mention that because typically someone already has his/her mind made up and just wants a sanity check. So, I just wanted to let you know that I think it's perfectly sane to pick Wharton over Columbia with money, especially when you have much more affinity for Wharton's program, geography, and people. Go with your gut (which, fortuitously, is also in line with all major rankings)! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
I think I'm a little unusual among GCers in that I love these "vs." threads. I mention that because typically someone already has his/her mind made up and just wants a sanity check. So, I just wanted to let you know that I think it's perfectly sane to pick Wharton over Columbia with money, especially when you have much more affinity for Wharton's program, geography, and people. Go with your gut (which, fortuitously, is also in line with all major rankings)! :-D

While I wouldn't say I've made up my mind, I certainly am leaning toward Wharton. A week ago, it was a no-brainer for me, but the fellowship certainly made it mre necessary for me to ask more questions. I agree that going with my gut and not playing the what-if game is likely going to be a lot more satisfying in the long-run.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
jwcardinal11 wrote:
While I wouldn't say I've made up my mind, I certainly am leaning toward Wharton. A week ago, it was a no-brainer for me, but the fellowship certainly made it mre necessary for me to ask more questions. I agree that going with my gut and not playing the what-if game is likely going to be a lot more satisfying in the long-run.

Another reason you should go with Wharton is because this guy says a third-rate school like Columbia isn't worth it: https://qz.com/42233/if-you-cant-get-into-a-top-five-mba-program-dont-even-bother/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
jwcardinal11 wrote:

Another reason you should go with Wharton is because this guy says a third-rate school like Columbia isn't worth it: https://qz.com/42233/if-you-cant-get-into-a-top-five-mba-program-dont-even-bother/

Seriously?.....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
nikhilsrl wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
jwcardinal11 wrote:

Seriously?.....

Not seriously. There's another thread going around on that topic and I was kidding around.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
jwcardinal11 wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:

I've also seen people regret not taking the money. Mappleby has a point about the options that come from more financial freedom. Heck, you might get to school, get involved with a really cool startup team, and want to continue working it after graduation. That's much more feasible with significantly less debt.
I think you're doing the right thing by asking questions and going to admit weekends. However, the majority of people who are answering you in this poll don't have the experience with either school to give you a definititve answer. Speaking to current students and alums will give you a much clearer picture than the random preferences of other b-school applicants (no offense intended guys!).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Certain industries (like MC) offer tuition reimbursement as part of the full-time offer package to some people. According to one person I talked to, those reimbursements are not too exceedingly rare, so that's also something to keep in mind.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia (accepted), Sloan (waitlisted), Yale (R2, interview), Booth (R2, interview), Kellogg (R2)
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.72
WE 1: 2 years public accounting/consulting
WE 2: 2 years nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a current CBS student. Definitely talk to students and visit both places. I absolutely love my experience here and I believe that the advantages of going to school in New York are substantial, particularly if you are a career changer or don't know what you want to do.

Whatever you choose, I don't think you'll regret it. Anyone who goes to a top school, once they make friends, begin recruiting, join clubs, etc., there is really no looking back.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts