Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 21:39 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 21:39
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [20]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8584 [21]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [1]
Send PM
Re: Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production [#permalink]
Kudos
commdiver wrote:
The first sentence of the question stem states that it is a bad time for the US to discourage domestic oil production. The second sentence of the question stem states that oil prices are about to rise because of unrest in Libya. One can assume that if the US cuts domestic oil product, therefore increasing their reliance on imported oil, prices will soar because of the unrest in Libya. Therefore, C is correct.

I hope that helps :)
C is not correct as per OE I have. The official explanation from the source against C is "What the passage states is that this is a bad time for US to curb domestic production. What we can infer is that if US allows domestic production then the price increase may not be that much or not at all. But, we can not conclusively say that there will not be any further price increase."

I am not able to make out much from this particular explanation that how is author saying that , so posted it for clarifications here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [2]
Send PM
Re: Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production [#permalink]
Kudos
joshnsit wrote:
commdiver wrote:
The first sentence of the question stem states that it is a bad time for the US to discourage domestic oil production. The second sentence of the question stem states that oil prices are about to rise because of unrest in Libya. One can assume that if the US cuts domestic oil product, therefore increasing their reliance on imported oil, prices will soar because of the unrest in Libya. Therefore, C is correct.

I hope that helps :)
C is not correct as per OE I have. The official explanation from the source against C is "What the passage states is that this is a bad time for US to curb domestic production. What we can infer is that if US allows domestic production then the price increase may not be that much or not at all. But, we can not conclusively say that there will not be any further price increase."

I am not able to make out much from this particular explanation that how is author saying that , so posted it for clarifications here.

Finally, I got the error in C. C) says that "If US allows oil domestic oil production, it may be able to avoid any further price increase." This subtle devilish :evil: "any" is the problem in this option and ,if we go by this choice, this will mean that at any cost, the prices will not rise. But, this can not be proven based on this argument. The prices may remain flat or even dip in the future.

The correct option D is a corroboration of what the last sentence of this argument says:
D) The oil price increases that are predicted by analysts may be larger than those in the recent past.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [2]
Send PM
Re: Oil-y CR problem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
joshnsit wrote:
Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production of oil and natural gas, right now might be the worst. Libya's descent into chaos is fueling a rapid rise in oil prices, and unrest in other oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa has led some analysts to predict unprecedented oil-price spikes may be looming.
If the statements above are true, which of the following inference can be most properly drawn?
A) The oil prices at present are the highest of what they might have been in the last few decades.
B) Libya is a major oil producing country.
C) If US allows oil domestic oil production, it may be able to avoid any further price increase.
D) Discouraging oil production now is likely to lead to a further increase in oil price in US.
E) Unrest in oil producing countries in Middle East has impacted overall oil production.

OA to come later once thread comes with explanations..
Hi All, D is the correct option here.
I was confused with Option C, but then found that "any" in option C makes it a wrong choice. This subtle devilish :evil: "any" is the problem in this option and ,if we go by this choice, this will mean that at any cost, the prices will not rise. But, this can not be proven based on this argument. The prices may remain flat or even dip in the future. The official explanation from the source against C is "What the passage states is that this is a bad time for US to curb domestic production. What we can infer is that if US allows domestic production then the price increase may not be that much or not at all. But, we can not conclusively say that there will not be any further price increase."

When the last statement of this argument says that oil spikes may be looming means an expected increase in oil price in US as suggested in D. So D is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
The key word here is 'unprecedented'. If u read this word the entire passage becomes a piece of cake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production of oil and natural gas, right now might be the worst. Libya's descent into chaos is fueling a rapid rise in oil prices, and unrest in other oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa has led some analysits to predict unprecedented oil-price spikes may be looming.
If the statements above are true, which of the following inference can be most properly drawn?
A) The oil prices at present are the highest of what they might have been in the last few decades.
C) If US allows oil domestic oil production, it may be able to avoid any further price increase.
D) The oil price increases that are predicted by analysts may be larger than those in the recent past.
E) Unrest in oil producing countries in Middle East has impacted overall oil production.

Interesting question!

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Factor #1: Libya's descent into chaos is fueling a rapid rise in oil prices.
Factor #2: unrest in other oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa
Sub conclusion: unprecedented oil-price spikes may be looming.
Main conclusion: Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production of oil and natural gas, right now might be the worst.

KEY WORD: unprecedented oil-price spikes.

ANALYZE EACH OPTION:

Wrong. Nothing about “oil prices at present are the highest”. Probably, the oil prices at present are high, but we do not have enough info to conclude they are the highest.

Wrong. SHELL GAME.
- “oil producing” differs from “oil exporting”. Libya may be a major oil exporting country. It may export a big amount of “rude” oil. So its chaos will have a big impact on oil prices. But, the premises do not say “Libya is a major producing country”.

Wrong. SHELL GAME. It’s wrong because:
- If US allows oil domestic production, it may be able to avoid further price increase in the U.S only. But, C say US can avoid price increase in general. C means U.S only or worldwide?
- C say the US can avoid any further price increase. KEY WORD is “any”. Is it true that the US can avoid any further price increase? The US can avoid only price increase to some extent, not any further price increase.

Correct. The stimulus says: “unprecedented oil-price spikes”. “unprecedented” means “have never happened before”. D is the most properly inference.

Wrong. It’s true that unrest in oil producing countries in ME will impact overall oil production. But the unrest did impact or will impact (the time of the impact)? We don’t know. Hence, E is wrong.

Hope it helps.

I agree with D because it says may be, so it does not really say anything – it brings up the possibility that may be not.

However, I disagree with you in B. You can infer that Libya is an oil-producing country

inother oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa

I guess that when the premise uses the term “other”, it refers to other than Libya, thus implying that Libya is an oil-producing country in the Middle East and North Africa.

The problem with B is that we cannot infer that is “major”.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production of oil and natural gas, right now might be the worst. Libya's descent into chaos is fueling a rapid rise in oil prices, and unrest in other oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa has led some analysts to predict unprecedented oil-price spikes may be looming.

--> correct as highlighted in green color.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [1]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Really tough one! And a good one!

Of all the times for the U.S. to be discouraging domestic production of oil and natural gas, right now might be the worst. Libya's descent into chaos is fueling a rapid rise in oil prices, and unrest in other oil-producing countries in the Middle East and North Africa has led some analysits to predict unprecedented oil-price spikes may be looming.
A) The oil prices at present are the highest of what they might have been in the last few decades. No information about past decades, keyword to focus here is "decade" hence incorrect.
B) Libya is a major oil producing country. We do not know about "major" or not. Out of scope and not within the boundaries of information provided. Incorrect.
C) If US allows oil domestic oil production, it may be able to avoid any further price increase. Aren't we talking about "encouraging" and "discouraging" and not "allowing" or "not allowing". Need to stay within the scope of the argument information. Hence this cannot be inferred and is incorrect.
D) The oil price increases that are predicted by analysts may be larger than those in the recent past. The last line uses the term "unprecedented" that clearly means that "price increase" might be the biggest than ever seen. Hence, it can be inferred that "price rise" might be larger than those in the recent past. Hence, correct. Keywords: unprecedented and price spike/increase.
E) Unrest in oil producing countries in Middle East has impacted overall oil production. It "may" but we do not know with certainty hence incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
Send PM
joshnsit wrote:

I was stuck between C and D. Although I marked C, I can see why D is the correct answer.

D is because of the fact that the entire passage talks about the upcoming price spike as a result of unrest in the oil producing countries in the Middle-East and North Africa. Therefore, the inference must also follow on the same topic and talk about the price spike that is coming in the future. Option D talks about that whereas Option C talks about the effect on oil prices if the US allows domestic oil production.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
820 posts