Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
MBA2ER wrote:
scleraxis wrote:
No the 1 min is for your pitch/answer to the question.

I would NOT bring notes/iPad/etc. You're in a small room and supposed to work together, don't deviate from that and refer to your iPad or take notes during the session. After the first person goes, you should all just build off of each other so I would emphasize NOT over-preparing. Come in with a few 'highlights' of how you want to answer the question.

Oh wow 1-min pitch for your idea?! Glad I asked, would have been caught off-guard completely otherwise. As for the iPad, it really just sets me at ease knowing that I have something to refer to if I have a brain freeze, don't really plan to use it otherwise. Hmm I suppose people bring folios with them since we are asked to provide a copy of resume at 1-1? So it won't look terribly out-of-place if I happen to have a black gadget + folio with me?

I agree with scleraxis -- I researched the prompt for about 2 hours (vs the 1 hour suggestion) and in the end I felt I had overprepped. After that initial 1 minute intro, pretty much 95% of what you have prepped is thrown out the window. I also showed up with nothing in my hands except for my resume, no pen/folio/paper/etc, and felt like I had done fine.

BUT, do whatever makes you comfortable. So if you want to bring your iPad, then go ahead, if only for the purpose of calming your nerves.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Yes, you're in a room with only 5-6 people and expected to give a short answer so you would probably already be dead in the water in any scenario that required notes/an iPad. I'd highly suggest not relying on it.

Seems like there's a lot of confusion over the Wharton process. I'm happy to do mock interviews with people, PM if interested (warning, it won't be free though, I don't have that kind of time unfortunately).
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MBA2ER wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:
scleraxis wrote:

I would NOT bring notes/iPad/etc. You're in a small room and supposed to work together, don't deviate from that and refer to your iPad or take notes during the session. After the first person goes, you should all just build off of each other so I would emphasize NOT over-preparing. Come in with a few 'highlights' of how you want to answer the question.

Oh wow 1-min pitch for your idea?! Glad I asked, would have been caught off-guard completely otherwise. As for the iPad, it really just sets me at ease knowing that I have something to refer to if I have a brain freeze, don't really plan to use it otherwise. Hmm I suppose people bring folios with them since we are asked to provide a copy of resume at 1-1? So it won't look terribly out-of-place if I happen to have a black gadget + folio with me?

On second thoughts, I was only worried about brain freezes if I had to talk non-stop for a longer time and give elaborate details about my idea. Since it's only gonna be 1-min I guess it will be more of an organic discussion, bouncing and critiquing ideas off one another. I'll should do away with the notes and iPad then! Thanks :wink:

Obviously everyone has different styles and prepares differently. My personal suggestions:

1) Do prepare a one-minute idea for each of the 3 prompts. Keep in mind the donor's criteria. Use a stop watch.
2). Bring paper and pen/iPad if you feel you want to take notes. I think your one-minute pitches should be in your head.
3) I completely agree that it is vital you are 100% present during the discussion. It is organic. Any note-taking should be minimal and probably relate to responding to a particular idea/individual. But only have the pad -- paper or i -- present if you will be comfortable with it.
4) The amount of prep will be different for different people and it's better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.
5) We too are offering mock interviews for Wharton's group and individual discussions. And yes there is a fee.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hello everyone,

How about the 10-15 min interview? What are the type of questions you were asked? Also, do you think the interviewer reads the candidate's app before?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My interview is scheduled for March 11th. I have not received any of these so called "prompts"

When are you suppose to get these?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
conc88 wrote:
My interview is scheduled for March 11th. I have not received any of these so called "prompts"

I got the invite and the prompt on the same day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.92
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
conc88 wrote:

You should have received an email titled, "PLEASE READ: Team-Based Discussion Confirmation and Logistics," shortly after you selected a spot. I would just call admissions if you never got it. I am also interviewing the 11th- good luck and see you there!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Had the interview on-campus in Philadelphia last week.

For the most part, I share the same sentiment as many here. The team portion felt very manufactured and less than organic.i assume that working in teams at wharton or any school for that matter is not that contrived.

i came out feeling the group took a really safe, unimaginative route.but of course, it's not where, but how you get there for this exercise

during my 1on1 my interviewer asked me what i thought of the TBD and after that it was pretty much open forum. she was finance-focused (go figure) so we couldn't talk about anything i was interested in. did not feel rushed, as some have felt. she said to ask away for as long as i needed, but i wouldn't go more than 25 min absolute tops, especially if someone behind you is waiting his/her turn

i'm curious to see what the formats were for the round 3 test last year and how they will evolve the format going forward
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Guys,
Do you think it is still necessary to write a thank-you note after TBD? For me it seems a bit odd to thank a person who most of the time sits in the corner of the room and does nothing in terms of interaction with the group...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
NorthernLights wrote:
Guys,
Do you think it is still necessary to write a thank-you note after TBD? For me it seems a bit odd to thank a person who most of the time sits in the corner of the room and does nothing in terms of interaction with the group...

I would absolutely write a thank you note to, at least, the student who conducted your 1-1. I asked my interviewer for his card after our interview and in my thank you note asked for contact information of the other fellow who sat in on our TBD portion, but haven't yet heard back (not terribly surprised given their schedules and the # of students they interview). In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they just sat there and listened, they facilitated the interview and the thank you note demonstrates a cordial interest in the program and your enthusiasm to have met the admissions fellows.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
NorthernLights wrote:
Guys,

He's still sitting there. A thank you never hurt anything. I recommend it.

Linda

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 01 Mar 2013, 09:52.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 04 Mar 2013, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
MBA2ER wrote:
scleraxis wrote:

I agree with scleraxis -- I researched the prompt for about 2 hours (vs the 1 hour suggestion) and in the end I felt I had overprepped. After that initial 1 minute intro, pretty much 95% of what you have prepped is thrown out the window. I also showed up with nothing in my hands except for my resume, no pen/folio/paper/etc, and felt like I had done fine.

BUT, do whatever makes you comfortable. So if you want to bring your iPad, then go ahead, if only for the purpose of calming your nerves.

I think the composition of your group makes a lot of difference--we had a really diverse group with many different perspectives and everyone was remarkably nice. We had a few different ideas floating around, but everyone seemed interested in tying themes together, which was more productive than the sort of factionalism that characterized other teams. We had enough time to even do a quick "elevator pitch" of our proposal at the end.

I would definitely make friends with people as you wait for your groups to be called in. Two of the four guys I was talking to ended up on my team, which is the sort of dumb luck that's guided my B-school application process so far. I actually ended up with a MUCH better impression of Wharton having gone through this process--I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

One tip: bring business cards. I'm the dumbass who remembered her flatiron but forgot her business cards.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi:

Any international candidates who have been admitted to Wharton in Round 1.

What forms etc. have you filed for Financial Aid? Do you need to file the CSS? How do you get a no cosigner loan?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview last week. It seems like your experience can really vary based on the student interviewer and to a less extent the candidates you are grouped with. In my case, the facilitators provided zero directions or limitations on our discussion. It was literally free-for-all from the start, with no interruption except for two announcements on how much time was left. We weren't even instructed to start by goin round the table to each give a spiel on our idea (though that was the logical place to start and so we did). But there was no time limit imposed and some candidates went on for maybe as long as 5 mins! Obviously your spiel can be quite different under such scenarios, where you may be expected to give more details and make appropriate references to other candidates ideas if they are similar/opposing etc. So be prepared to be flexible about your intro spiels!

Also at my group everyone brought in a portfolio with writing pad, ostensibly to take notes during the discussion, but I would say half the group had also prepared notes for their own talking points too - it's a small round table so you can easily see what's laid out in front of others'. So it certainly won't be awkward to bring a folio with notes in (maybe not an iPad), but know that you probably won't - and shouldn't - refer to them much as all the other GC-ers advised.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
for r1 admits, when was your deposit due?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys - curious if the R1 admit decisions all went out on one day or were they staggered like the interview invites?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
ps97 wrote:
Hey guys - curious if the R1 admit decisions all went out on one day or were they staggered like the interview invites?

They went out all on one day a few days before Christmas. R2 will be the same; 3/25, I think.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  59   60   61   62   63   64   65  ...  81   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts