Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 19:44 It is currently 22 May 2024, 19:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Would you recommend Ross (MC) or Anderson (Location)?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Anderson vs. Ross (Location vs. MC) [#permalink]
Right now I'm pondering the exact same scenario (Anderson vs Ross). From what I've seen Ross definitely appears to be significantly stronger in MC recruiting compared to Anderson. I went to UCLA for undergrad, though, and I must say that the campus and surrounding areas are fantastic. The weather is unbeatable and there is just such a tremendous variety of things to do. I visited Ann Arbor and while it seems like a fun, intimate setting, it just can't compare to LA. Having said that, it does not seem difficult to get a great MC job on the West coast coming out of Michigan. My alumni interviewer in LA was in consulting and he definitely made it seem like it was not difficult to make his way out here (for what it's worth).

From my perspective, I'm looking to try something new after living in LA my entire life so I'm leaning towards Ross over Anderson. Do any of you guys have an opinion on pursuing a career in Marketing at Ross vs Anderson (probably Brand Management?

PS - It's supposed to be 75 degrees in Hermosa Beach this weekend. Winter beach volleyball, anyone? :o
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
It'd be interesting to see stats of where the MBB grads from Ross get placed. IMO one of the big reasons Anderson doesn't place well with MBB is because many students are set on staying in California/SoCal which are some of the most competitive MBB positions, whereas Ross grads seem to be open to just about any location and therefore willing to take MBB placements where they can get them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
dman25 wrote:
It'd be interesting to see stats of where the MBB grads from Ross get placed. IMO one of the big reasons Anderson doesn't place well with MBB is because many students are set on staying in California/SoCal which are some of the most competitive MBB positions, whereas Ross grads seem to be open to just about any location and therefore willing to take MBB placements where they can get them.

That could be a factor. I've read that one of the criteria recruiters use when deciding which schools to recruit at is "can we successfully recruit from this school?" My perception is that Ross is better known for general management/consulting and therefore, consulting companies invest more heavily in their recruiting efforts there. That isn't to say that you wouldn't get the same quality of education from Anderson, just that you may have fewer opportunities to interact with recruiters from consulting companies. My perception is purely based on my research. I plan on asking both Anderson and Ross students about this during the admit weekends.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
You have to take all advice on GC with a grain of salt. I do not agree with some of the above assessment.

For one, Ross has better placement into consulting and MBB than Anderson, no question about that. However, I also believe Ross may be attracting more consulting aspirants than Anderson because of its reputation as a consulting school. While I think you will have a difficult time getting into MBB from Anderson, but the road to MBB from Ross isn’t exactly easy either. Outside of MBB, I believe Anderson would be strong, compared to Ross for the West Coast offices. Several people mentioned it earlier; I want to focus it a bit more. Consulting offers are typically office specific. It is difficult at most firms to switch offices, at least initially. Whether or not Ross has a stronger network than Anderson in SoCal or West Coast offices is a question that needs to be researched more.

Outside of consulting, I think both schools are equal on the Tech product marketing, Anderson would have the edge on SoCal/West Coast jobs. And, no one cares if you went to Ross or Anderson if you are starting your own company.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
asimov wrote:
You have to take all advice on GC with a grain of salt. I do not agree with some of the above assessment.

For one, Ross has better placement into consulting and MBB than Anderson, no question about that. However, I also believe Ross may be attracting more consulting aspirants than Anderson because of its reputation as a consulting school. While I think you will have a difficult time getting into MBB from Anderson, but the road to MBB from Ross isn’t exactly easy either. Outside of MBB, I believe Anderson would be strong, compared to Ross for the West Coast offices. Several people mentioned it earlier; I want to focus it a bit more. Consulting offers are typically office specific. It is difficult at most firms to switch offices, at least initially. Whether or not Ross has a stronger network than Anderson in SoCal or West Coast offices is a question that needs to be researched more.

Outside of consulting, I think both schools are equal on the Tech product marketing, Anderson would have the edge on SoCal/West Coast jobs. And, no one cares if you went to Ross or Anderson if you are starting your own company.

This is solid advice. Ross is decreasing its class size by 10% this year and one of the reasons they mention is that the competition for consulting jobs is too intense. This was on the Ross thread and I heard the same when I went to Ross for my interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
asimov wrote:

Completely agree. At the end of the day, the best people to talk to are current students at each school. They can tell you what it really looks like on the ground in terms of consulting recruiting.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts