Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 15:53 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 15:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
dschwa238 wrote:
Did anyone else hear/receive an admin decision today? (sitting by the phone/computer anxious to hear anything!)

Don't do it anymore! I believe tomorrow is the earliest. I think no one got admitted on Feb 11, the Monday of decision week R2. It all started Tuesday based on this blog! So sleep peacefully tonight. :)

D3
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Daedalus3 wrote:
dschwa238 wrote:
Did anyone else hear/receive an admin decision today? (sitting by the phone/computer anxious to hear anything!)

Don't do it anymore! I believe tomorrow is the earliest. I think no one got admitted on Feb 11, the Monday of decision week R2. It all started Tuesday based on this blog! So sleep peacefully tonight. :)

D3

Thanks! Appreciate that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
dschwa238 wrote:

Judging from this forum, this Thursday afternoon should be the last date/time for admits. Dings/Waitlists will go out around midnight (CDST) on Friday morning.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
good luck to all waiting on admits today
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hmmm....no calls/e-mails reported this week
don't know if this is good or bad news for us hopefuls
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Sustainability, Operations
WE:Editorial and Writing (Military & Defense)
Send PM
anandaari wrote:
hmmm....no calls/e-mails reported this week
don't know if this is good or bad news for us hopefuls

Today is the Round 4 deadline. Perhaps that is siphoning some time away from calls?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This whole thing seems strange..I mean..unless I'm wrong and they do make final decisions on certain applicants on the last day,
They already know who's in and who's not..I guess it's just their policy to post dings on the last day only and they already knew their decisions a week ago when they sent admission emails

Being one who hasn't heard back I PRAY TO GOD IM WRONG

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AlonZ wrote:
This whole thing seems strange..I mean..unless I'm wrong and they do make final decisions on certain applicants on the last day,
They already know who's in and who's not..I guess it's just their policy to post dings on the last day only and they already knew their decisions a week ago when they sent admission emails

I have to imagine they are in the overlap period where they get to peek at R4 candidates before making final decisions on some R3 candidates. Most schools seem to schedule things this way -- get the next round applications right before the previous round's notification date.

Also, there are only 59 admits on here and only about 150 on the FB group. If they are going to invite 550 total, it seems like both of those numbers would be higher.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Gorgasali wrote:
AlonZ wrote:

I have to imagine they are in the overlap period where they get to peek at R4 candidates before making final decisions on some R3 candidates. Most schools seem to schedule things this way -- get the next round applications right before the previous round's notification date.

Also, there are only 59 admits on here and only about 150 on the FB group. If they are going to invite 550 total, it seems like both of those numbers would be higher.

Normally what you said would indeed make sense for domestic applicants.However, I would imagine it's different for foreign ones as they dont compete with domestic ones on the same spots..and no foreign applicants can apply on R4...

And speaking of which, can foreign students get WL'ed on R3?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
AlonZ wrote:

Normally what you said would indeed make sense for domestic applicants.However, I would imagine it's different for foreign ones as they dont compete with domestic ones on the same spots..and no foreign applicants can apply on R4...

And speaking of which, can foreign students get WL'ed on R3?

Interesting -- so you think there are a given number of int'l slots and they are considered separately? I guess if the international percentage is consistent from year to year that would make sense. Nonetheless, I think there are more calls to be made, just to increase the accepted pool to its historic size. And R3 must be bigger than R4. The admissions office probably had a lot of people calling and e-mailing yesterday sewing up parts of their applications. If they don't make any calls today, though, I'd start to wonder.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Gorgasali wrote:
Interesting -- so you think there are a given number of int'l slots and they are considered separately? I guess if the international percentage is consistent from year to year that would make sense. Nonetheless, I think there are more calls to be made, just to increase the accepted pool to its historic size. And R3 must be bigger than R4. The admissions office probably had a lot of people calling and e-mailing yesterday sewing up parts of their applications. If they don't make any calls today, though, I'd start to wonder.

I think that is a near certainty for any business school, and even within groupings such as 'internationals'. I believe country/region, gender and work profile are all slotted to some extent with some variance year on year. Business schools (any graduate school of sizable global recognition for that matter) need to do this to maintain a diverse class profile I believe.

And yes the silence since last Friday here (and elsewhere) is deafening! It's interesting that only 150-odd have joined the FB group though. I am certain that by Round 3 that number (if accurately representing admits) should be in the high 300s if not more?

Let's hope we get some traction today!

Good luck y'all!

D3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
There were some new additions to the FB group yesterday and on Monday.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah but I wonder how many of the applicants actually take part in these forums and on fb..and if the time they updated their status is right when they got admitted. Either way, the anxiety I've been in since people got their acceptance emails last Friday is something I'd not wish for my worse enemies lol

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
AlonZ wrote:

They likely post dings so late for two reasons mainly: 1) they want to compare marginal candidates to the next round's new applicants. If the next round has a strong group, then those folks get pushed to ding. 2) they want to appear to really be struggling on their decision on admits. If you got a ding two hours after turning in your application, would you feel like you'd been given a fair shake? Obviously not. So, they wait a (somewhat arbitrary) "long" amount of time to make it seem like they really poured over every detail of your application. Meanwhile, for likely 75 or so percent, the decision was made as soon as they saw the GPA/GMAT combination.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
Send PM
I know this isn't going to make anybody that hasn't heard anything feel any better, but I was admitted via email R3 last week and haven't received a congratulatory call yet. The whole process seems a little disorganized, but for reference here's my timeline:

01/22 - submitted application (day before deadline)
01/31 - email invitation to interview
02/14 - interviewed with adcom member (in NYC)
03/22 - received two emails from adcom - one saying I was being recommended for admission, and the second apologizing for not attaching the agenda for preview weekend to the first email. The second one was addressed to someone named Gabriel, so I was a bit confused. I tried accessing the admitted students portal over the weekend but nothing showed up, so I wasn't 100% sure my admission was legitimate haha
03/25 - received an email from"TexasMBA" notifying me my application has been given a final decision. Confirmed acceptance through simplicity portal.
03/26 - received another email from "UT Office of Admissions" that linked to a congratulatory letter from the graduate admissions portal (different from simplicity portal). I tried to access the admitted students website later in the evening with my UT EID credentials, and this time it worked

Very excited to visit Austin next weekend! Can't wait to get some Salt Lick!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
stigmatizm wrote:
I know this isn't going to make anybody that hasn't heard anything feel any better, but I was admitted via email R3 last week and haven't received a congratulatory call yet. The whole process seems a little disorganized, but for reference here's my timeline:

03/22 - received two emails from adcom - one saying I was being recommended for admission, and the second apologizing for not attaching the agenda for preview weekend to the first email. The second one was addressed to someone named Gabriel, so I was a bit confused. I tried accessing the admitted students portal over the weekend but nothing showed up, so I wasn't 100% sure my admission was legitimate haha
03/25 - received an email from"TexasMBA" notifying me my application has been given a final decision. Confirmed acceptance through simplicity portal.
03/26 - received another email from "UT Office of Admissions" that linked to a congratulatory letter from the graduate admissions portal (different from simplicity portal). I tried to access the admitted students website later in the evening with my UT EID credentials, and this time it worked

Congrats on your acceptances. Are you leaning towards one school or another?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
stigmatizm wrote:

Congrats on your acceptances. Are you leaning towards one school or another?

Congrats !!! Borrowing your case it sounds impossible for people who havent been admitted(myself included) yet to get admitted at all..it took them 3 days between the "Recommended for Admission" and the "Admitted" mail...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts