Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
jinj wrote:
I literally went through their list of accepted college/classes to see which colleges have online/hybrid options that haven't yet started for spring. For those of you looking:
- mission 8.5 weeks. started on 3/25 though
- deanza 11.5 weeks. starts on 4/18
- foothill 11.5 weeks. starts on 4/18

I'm taking waiver this sat. I really hate stats, and in case i fail, wondering if i should take both community college and workshop (cuz i assume there will be more/better material?), or just the college class and be done with it.
.... leaning towards just college cuz of the $ haha, just hoping i won't miss anything from not taking workshop.

In my mind, this is just a prereq required for you to get in to the school. If you fail, you're screwed. So, take whatever you can with the greatest chance of passing. If you take a class that doesn't cover everything you can always learn it later in a lower stress environment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:

In my mind, this is just a prereq required for you to get in to the school. If you fail, you're screwed. So, take whatever you can with the greatest chance of passing. If you take a class that doesn't cover everything you can always learn it later in a lower stress environment.

Good call, packet. Good Call.
No wonder you are R1 admit and one of the most helpful people on this forum. 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jinj wrote:
packet82 wrote:

Good call, packet. Good Call.
No wonder you are R1 admit and one of the most helpful people on this forum. 8-)

Glad to help. That's also why I'm not withdrawing from the Berkeley Extension course until I pass the workshop. At least I'll have a second shot in that case.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
One more thing to consider, the workshop is Pass/Fail. If you take a course anywhere else, you need a B or better. I'm not sure how low is considered a pass for the workshop, but it may be lower than a B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Or it simply shows that you are trying harder to get into any and every program and has no direct bearing on your passion for Haas whatsoever. Me scoring a 760 on the GMAT does not mean I am passionate about any program, it means I worked my butt off to have a shot at any top program. Retaking the GMAT and scoring better would show the same thing.

Generally speaking, if you're applying to part-time programs, you're only going to be applying to one or two schools.

Retaking the GMAT is about removing weak spots in your profile. At this point in the game, there aren't many options for improving your profile. If you have a GMAT score below the average for the school, it's probably a good idea to retake the GMAT. It shows effort and may move you ahead of other on the list, which is your goal.

Thanks packet. I am in a catch-22 situation. If I take GMAT again I have to give up my waiver exam prep for now. If I get in R3, I will have to register for the next workshop or take June 1 waiver.

I think I am better off studying for GMAT for now and worry about waiver later :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does anyone know how they evaluate GRE scores? Do they just convert them to GMAT scores using ETS's tool?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
One more thing to consider, the workshop is Pass/Fail. If you take a course anywhere else, you need a B or better. I'm not sure how low is considered a pass for the workshop, but it may be lower than a B.

CC: B or better
workshop: pass/fail

something to ponder upon after my waiver exam...
is there drop option for workshop?...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
jinj wrote:
packet82 wrote:
There are two options. You can either take the stats class through Berkeley extension or the Haas Data & Decisions Workshop.

Here's the info for the workshop:

Dates: April 18 to May 30 (Online Final Exam: Monday, June 3); required live sessions are Thursdays from 7-9pm
Grading Criteria: Pass/fail. Online final exam will be administered on Monday, June 3
Instructor: Gregory LaBlanc (see below for bio)
Cost: $1,000.00 non-refundable fee (includes course materials)

The extension course is self paced and offers no instruction. You buy a textbook and do assignments out of the book. There is then a 3 hour final, which is basically the stats waiver exam. Total cost for the course is ~$1000 after you buy the book.

If you have a choice, take the workshop. There's another one coming up in june if you can't make this one.

So basically, there are 4 options:
1. waiver: free / instant (duh..)
2. Haas workshop: $1000 / ~7 weeks
3. Berkeley Extension course: ~$1000 (Packet you did mention to choose the workshop over the extension course, so this option is out.)
4. Community college: ~$200 / ~11 weeks

According to pawanagarwal [dot] com, it's ideal to pass the waiver, then take the college course if still available, and take the workshop as the last resort.
CC is cheaper, probably easier to pass, but longer and less material to learn(?)
Workshop is pricier, has more material to learn(?), shorter, but i heard that last year there were people who didn't pass and did not get admitted even they already got the offer.

Packet, what do you think? workshop or community college?

I am not sure about the just $200 for the community college. I think I will need to take both Stats I (3cr) and Stats II (3cr) at the community college here to actually cover all the topics listed on the waiver exam (I need to check this with the adcom) . Each credit is about $125 as set by the state and I think the school adds some on top. The community college nearby (NOVA) charges $400 something per course. My total was coming to $871 for the two courses. I rather pay a bit more and take the Haas workshop. Not sure if it is cheaper in other states or if one course would cover all the topics.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pharaohs80 wrote:

I am not sure about the just $200 for the community college. I think I will need to take both Stats I (3cr) and Stats II (3cr) at the community college here to actually cover all the topics listed on the waiver exam (I need to check this with the adcom) . Each credit is about $125 as set by the state and I think the school adds some on top. The community college nearby (NOVA) charges $400 something per course. My total was coming to $871 for the two courses. I rather pay a bit more and take the Haas workshop. Not sure if it is cheaper in other states or if one course would cover all the topics.

The 200-dollar-comment came from pawan's blog, i haven't actually checked the cost. will do.

This is the list for bay area/CA colleges: https://ewmba.haas.berkeley.edu/PrereqClassList.pdf
and of course if your colleges are not listed here, you have to check with the adcom and might have to take more than one class. As packet said, whichever is easier/more feasible for you really. =)

EDIT: just checked. $31/unit. woohoo
https://www.foothill.edu/reg/fees.php
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Are online courses recognized, e.g. MATH 10 (online version) at Foothill or DeAnza?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
Are online courses recognized, e.g. MATH 10 (online version) at Foothill or DeAnza?

i would think so. same course number, just different format of teaching.

just tried to register but I guess i can't beat their current students. all classes and waitlists are full.
im so out of the game in class registration...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

Yes, the adcom confirmed - the foothill version of it. I am not sure about DeAnza
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
Send PM
jinj wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

just tried to register but I guess i can't beat their current students. all classes and waitlists are full.

Jinj,

They are opening couple more sections of the foothill online version - it shows up in their class look up. You can also add the class by getting an add code from the instructor. Just search their website for the instructor's email and mail them. Note: the add code's are given after the first day of the class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jinj wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

You can still register at foothill. I just did. The course started this week.
Foothill Math 10 Statistics Spring 2013 Dellamaggiore
Teacher: Katie Dellamaggiore
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jinj wrote:
packet82 wrote:

CC: B or better
workshop: pass/fail

something to ponder upon after my waiver exam...
is there drop option for workshop?...

Not as far as I know. The only option they give you is if you're signed up for the waiver exam, they'll rip up the check if you pass.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pharaohs80 wrote:

It just needs to be on the approved list. I certainly wouldn't be taking 2 stats courses to satisfy one prereq if given the option.

In any case, the Haas workshop seems to be pretty well run and is taught by a fantastic professor from what I'm told. So, it's certainly not a bad option.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBACLASS2013 wrote:
jinj wrote:
MBACLASS2013 wrote:

You can still register at foothill. I just did. The course started this week.
Foothill Math 10 Statistics Spring 2013 Dellamaggiore
Teacher: Katie Dellamaggiore

I tried to add the classes, Dellamaggiore's said spots are reserved for waitlist (and the waitlist is full).
Maskalevich's class is open, but when i added, it says "pre-req not met" because i've never taken any classes from foothill before...

Yea, I emailed the professors, but they haven't replied.

Which section did you apply to? how did you manage to get pass the pre-req? is it by getting add code from professor?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts