Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 16:17 It is currently 04 May 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
aa2012 wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
aa2012 wrote:
For Indian candidates par GMAT score is 720- 730, we are very good at quant, almost everyone gets 49+ score in this section... :)...
Your point being?

My point is that, when I apply for a b-school, I am competing against candidates from India (as no school will take more than 5 to 10% of its class from 1 International country). Also,as the competition for Indian places in an mba program is tougher (because of large pool size of Indian candidates and limited opportunities for GMAT scores in domestic schools), the par score for Indian students is higher.

Also GMAT score is just one of the many components in my application that I am focussing on improving for next round of admission cycle. Additionally, in terms of scholarships, GMAT score is the most important criteria for most schools.

Ahh, I see. No doubt it is very hard for an Indian candidate to stand out among his/her peers, and certainly competing against high quant scores can only make it tougher. Perhaps you`re right that a higher GMAT score will help you, but I maintain that you should find a way to differentiate yourself another way. For example, many Indian applicants work in IT. I am certain that if you had work experience in another relevant, dynamic field, you would be given preference amongst your IT peers. Maybe this is easier said than done though, as you are probably already somewhat entrenched in a certain sector by this point. Forgive me if you`ve posted about this earlier in the thread, but what domain do you work in, what do you do for work exactly?

Oh, and you are absolutely correct about increasing your odds of gaining a scholarship through a higher gmat score.
Send PM
Kudos
CarlMtl wrote:
aa2012 wrote:
My point is that, when I apply for a b-school, I am competing against candidates from India (as no school will take more than 5 to 10% of its class from 1 International country). Also,as the competition for Indian places in an mba program is tougher (because of large pool size of Indian candidates and limited opportunities for GMAT scores in domestic schools), the par score for Indian students is higher.

Also GMAT score is just one of the many components in my application that I am focussing on improving for next round of admission cycle. Additionally, in terms of scholarships, GMAT score is the most important criteria for most schools.

Ahh, I see. No doubt it is very hard for an Indian candidate to stand out among his/her peers, and certainly competing against high quant scores can only make it tougher. Perhaps you`re right that a higher GMAT score will help you, but I maintain that you should find a way to differentiate yourself another way. For example, many Indian applicants work in IT. I am certain that if you had work experience in another relevant, dynamic field, you would be given preference amongst your IT peers. Maybe this is easier said than done though, as you are probably already somewhat entrenched in a certain sector by this point. Forgive me if you`ve posted about this earlier in the thread, but what domain do you work in, what do you do for work exactly?

Oh, and you are absolutely correct about increasing your odds of gaining a scholarship through a higher gmat score.

I work for a leading hospitality sector company in India as manager (corporate) - analytics and strategy. I head the entire analytics team in my company and I also work closely with Chief Strategy officer to develop and implement new business strategies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
aa2012 wrote:
I have decided to appear for GMAT again (may, end), i guess 700 is not good enough for an Indian candidate, so aiming for 750 this time :)

Most schools take a look at your GMAT and as long as you have a score above their threshold, they will just tick the box and move on to look at the remainder of the application. As a rule of thumb, if you are above the average of admitted candidates from the previous year, you should be fine. What I am trying to say is that 700 is great for any school and off the charts for McGill and any other Canadian school for that matter. If I were you, I would spend that time improving other parts of the application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Ducksworth wrote:
aa2012 wrote:
I have decided to appear for GMAT again (may, end), i guess 700 is not good enough for an Indian candidate, so aiming for 750 this time :)

Most schools take a look at your GMAT and as long as you have a score above their threshold, they will just tick the box and move on to look at the remainder of the application. As a rule of thumb, if you are above the average of admitted candidates from the previous year, you should be fine. What I am trying to say is that 700 is great for any school and off the charts for McGill and any other Canadian school for that matter. If I were you, I would spend that time improving other parts of the application.

I agree with Ducksworth!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Got admission letter two days ago with some $$$. :)
But I am going to decline it, coz I have a full-ride from an American business school.
Good luck to everyone!!!
Nona, i will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
caramia81 wrote:
Got admission letter two days ago with some $$$. :)
But I am going to decline it, coz I have a full-ride from an American business school.
Good luck to everyone!!!
Nona, i will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Dear Caramia congratulations and all my best wishes . Thanks a lot , dear and please keep in touch :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hi everybody
Are there any female admits here? I have a few questions only from women :D can anyone help me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [3]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear everybody ... as I shared with you all my stress and GMAT defeats during the last long months , I would like to share with you my good news . I took my 3rd attempt a couple of hours ago scoring 620 (Q42 V33). It is not a booming score but I already know from Jonathan they are looking for a minimum of 600 .At last , I am done with the GMAT! Thank you all for your patience .I will rest for a few days then start working on my John Molson application as a back up for Desautels
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi everyone..
I'm interested in applying for MBA - Finance and Strategy at Desautels. I have contacted Jonanthan yesterday through email and inquired about the program. I'm wondering how long it usually takes to receive an email reply for the inquiries. Should I contact again a week later if I don't receive any reply?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
TheNona wrote:
Dear everybody ... as I shared with you all my stress and GMAT defeats during the last long months , I would like to share with you my good news . I took my 3rd attempt a couple of hours ago scoring 620 (Q42 V33). It is not a booming score but I already know from Jonathan they are looking for a minimum of 600 .At last , I am done with the GMAT! Thank you all for your patience .I will rest for a few days then start working on my John Molson application as a back up for Desautels

:woohoo
you DID it! Congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
mehrabounr wrote:
hi everybody
Are there any female admits here? I have a few questions only from women :D can anyone help me?

Now I'm curious.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
k200k2 wrote:
Hi everyone..
I'm interested in applying for MBA - Finance and Strategy at Desautels. I have contacted Jonanthan yesterday through email and inquired about the program. I'm wondering how long it usually takes to receive an email reply for the inquiries. Should I contact again a week later if I don't receive any reply?

Really? This how I see it. You sent an email asking for someone to tell you what you can find on a webpage. You don't get a reply within 24 hours, and then you come to a public forum to ask what to do next? :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.06
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:
hi everybody

Now I'm curious.

You know, "women in business", its an issue everywhere. I wanted to know if McGill gives enough support to female students.
Also wanted to ask them about the "women in leadership" scholarship and see if anyone has gotten this scholarship this year or in previous years.

I had my interview few days ago. I'm told they'll give me an answer in 2 weeks (2 MORE WEEKS IN PURGATORY). I'm optimistic about the admission but not funding. I had my interview with Carine which was a pleasure talking to her.
---------------
I never know when they say in an interview (at the end) something like this: "so, will see you in Montreal" or "so, when you come here you'll see for yourself" is that an indication that they are giving you the thumbs up, or that's just what they say to everyone and doesn't mean anything.
Also, I never know when an interviewer is laughing a lot, is it good or bad?
Any thoughts on this 2 issues?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
mehrabounr wrote:
I never know when they say in an interview (at the end) something like this: "so, will see you in Montreal" or "so, when you come here you'll see for yourself" is that an indication that they are giving you the thumbs up, or that's just what they say to everyone and doesn't mean anything.

1. Thumbs up!
2. They are very professional and would never laugh in a sarcastic way.

I am sure you nailed it. You´ll see for yourself when you move to Montreal ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
k200k2 wrote:
Hi everyone..

Really? This how I see it. You sent an email asking for someone to tell you what you can find on a webpage. You don't get a reply within 24 hours, and then you come to a public forum to ask what to do next? :?

Yea..I asked some specific questions and was wondering. I know I need to be patient. :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
mehrabounr wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:
hi everybody

Now I'm curious.

You know, "women in business", its an issue everywhere. I wanted to know if McGill gives enough support to female students.
Also wanted to ask them about the "women in leadership" scholarship and see if anyone has gotten this scholarship this year or in previous years.

I had my interview few days ago. I'm told they'll give me an answer in 2 weeks (2 MORE WEEKS IN PURGATORY). I'm optimistic about the admission but not funding. I had my interview with Carine which was a pleasure talking to her.
---------------

I met Carine face to face a while ago. She is amazing to talk with, I think that's a very good part of her character. Nothing particular should come out of it.

Per your question about the "Montreal indication on the interview", I suggest that you shouldn't take it as thumbs up or down , but be positive about the possible outcome. Best of luck.

By the way, for the scholarship admission committee implements a holistic approach strategy. IMO, where you come from (for the diversity of the class), your professional background and work experience, application package (essays, GMAT etc...) , and interview performance matters as a whole for both admission and scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
mehrabounr wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
mehrabounr wrote:
hi everybody

Now I'm curious.

---------------

I was also told the same "so, will see you in Montreal" and I got admitted!
I think it is Thumbs UP!!

Be positive. Hoping to see you soon in Montreal :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts