Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 14:28 It is currently 07 May 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: B-school suggestion will be really helpful [#permalink]
Hi,

With the given information, you may target schools like: Duke, Darden, USC-Marshall, Cornell, Indiana-Kelley, McCombs & Washington-Olin. These are few good schools in US with decent placement rate in consulting post-MBA. You may gauge your chances in b-school(s) by clicking https://www.apphelp.co.in/b-school-selector.php .

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for school selection and discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

ashgoel wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for opening my thread.

Please could you spend few minutes to go through my profile and help me shortlist B-school that may be a good fit for me.

-- Work-ex: 5 years and 3 months in a business research role (emphasis on the Tech sector) with one of the Big 4 accounting firms
-- Grad (a): PGDM-Finance (from a Tier II B-school in India. Was ranked 2 in my batch) - Full Time
-- Grad (b): MS Finance (Distance Learning program from a reputed university in India)
-- Professional Degree: CFA Level III candidate. The results are expected in August, 2013
-- Undergrad: BCom (H) - Passed with distinction from one of the top universities in India
-- Current GMAT Score is 680 (Math 51 and Verbal 34) - I will be giving GMAT again in August
-- TOEFL - 110
-- Extra Curricular: Limited with some experience working with NGOs; Lead virtual guild (Clubs) in MMO games with members across the world

I am looking to choose B-schools in the U.S. that will help me get employment opportunities with management consulting firms.

Please let me know if I need to provide additional details.

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3125 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ashgoel wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
I'd say your sweet spot is the 10-15 range (e.g., Darden, Duke, Ross) and it probably makes sense to apply to 1 or 2 schools in the 1-9 range (e.g., Kellogg) and potentially 1 or 2 schools in the 16-25 range (e.g., KF). In other words, based on how you've presented yourself, I think you've done a great job selecting schools.

Now, if you get that GMAT above 730 or so and present that work experience in the right way, I'd say you'd be much more competitive at the top 10 and more of a "lock" (if there were such a thing) among the 10-15 schools.

Hope that helps!

~~~

Thanks for your reply. I had question related to school rankings. Which source according to you does the best job in ranking the schools. I used FT and Businessweek. However, there is a wide difference in the rankings provided by the two sources. While, I average the ranks to arrive at a final figure, which source according to you would be more authentic?

Thanks

I like USnews and poets and quants... You'd find that their rankings would be more similar to businessweek's than ft's To be honest, I don't think it is possible to rank 2 year and 1 year programs in the same list and do justice to them both......... FT's rankings always seemed a bit odd to me...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
ashgoel wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
I'd say your sweet spot is the 10-15 range (e.g., Darden, Duke, Ross) and it probably makes sense to apply to 1 or 2 schools in the 1-9 range (e.g., Kellogg) and potentially 1 or 2 schools in the 16-25 range (e.g., KF). In other words, based on how you've presented yourself, I think you've done a great job selecting schools.

Now, if you get that GMAT above 730 or so and present that work experience in the right way, I'd say you'd be much more competitive at the top 10 and more of a "lock" (if there were such a thing) among the 10-15 schools.

Hope that helps!

~~~

Thanks for your reply. I had question related to school rankings. Which source according to you does the best job in ranking the schools. I used FT and Businessweek. However, there is a wide difference in the rankings provided by the two sources. While, I average the ranks to arrive at a final figure, which source according to you would be more authentic?

Thanks

I like USnews and poets and quants... You'd find that their rankings would be more similar to businessweek's than ft's To be honest, I don't think it is possible to rank 2 year and 1 year programs in the same list and do justice to them both......... FT's rankings always seemed a bit odd to me...

I second the Poets and Quants composite ranking. For what it's worth, here are the schools I was thinking of in the different tiers:

1-9: HBS, GSB, Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Haas
10-15*: Duke, Darden, Ross, Stern, UCLA, Yale SOM, Johnson
16-25: KF, McCombs, Vandy, etc.

*Yes I know there are too many schools in this tier, but they all can reasonably be called top schools and all jockey for position in the 10-15 bracket.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts