Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:34 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Re: Order of Applications - Which school when? [#permalink]
From experience do not apply to your top school first unless you've worked on it extensively. My top school was Wharton and my app was a hot mess. But my essays got better after every school to the point where I applied to Chicago Booth R3 and was accepted. The sweet spot is to apply to your top school 3-4th. This way you can apply lessons from previous applications but you aren't burnt out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I wanted to get it all done and couldn't have imagined splitting it into two rounds. My suggestion is to apply to 3-4 schools in the first round and have 2-3 schools for round 2. One or two should be "back-ups" in case you don't get in anywhere in the first round, and one should be a school that you'd take OVER the ones from the first round. I didn't do it that way, but it sounds like you are having trouble ranking them. Since Columbia is rolling, the earlier the better, but just be sure to get it in by the scholarship deadline if finances at all matter to you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
I greatly appreciate the feedback. A lot to think about here.

I don't think I was entirely clear in my opening post. Due to timing, I will at best (though maybe unlikely) be able to apply to 3 schools in the first round. Columbia is rolling I'm aware, but as machichi mentioned, there is a scholarship deadline. Let me put forward a hypothetical: Let us say that I think that Wharton, Columbia, and Booth are all stellar schools and I have them weighted equally. During round 1 I apply to Wharton, Columbia, and Yale. Columbia dings me, but Wharton accepts me. At this point, can I still apply to Booth in round 2 and then wait to hear back from Booth after round 2 to make my decision? Or will Wharton expect an answer and my offer will expire prior to me obtaining a result from Booth?

I apologize if I am missing something obvious.

In regards to when you should apply to your "dream schools", I am torn on this issue. I will need to make that decision soon!

(by the way Timbob you made my day by telling me I am starting early. I am just beginning and feeling tremendously behind.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Your order would be possible, the only snag is that you will need to submit a deposit to a school to hold your spot. Only in rare circumstances will they allow you to hold off making a decision, and even then, it's usually only for a week or so. Basically, you're out of between $2000 and $3000 if you do it that way.

I agree that you are starting early - though indeed, it's never too early! - so you may be underestimating yourself. I applied to all 4 of my schools in one round and am quite grateful I did. Applications get better with time, but there's also burn out to keep in mind. If you put together drafts now, you still have plenty of time to let them sit and revisit them with fresh eyes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I agree with the thought process that you should apply to first choice schools first.

In my experience this year, and it varies with schools, is that the deposit deadline is sometimes negotiable.
GMAT Club Bot