Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 08:43 It is currently 07 May 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.05
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Jokesta wrote:
Thanks for the info, kple12. These meet and greet events sound great. I didnt see any coming up in the west coast but I'm glad you had such a meaningful interaction with the adcom.

There's one in Palo Alto on August 27th from 6 - 7:30 PM case you're interested.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kple12 wrote:
There's one in Palo Alto on August 27th from 6 - 7:30 PM case you're interested.

Ah I see it now.. I was filtering on San Francisco so missed it. Thanks man. registered and will be there. For anyone else interested the details below:

Aug 27, 2013 6:00 PM
The Bar
Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley
2050 University Avenue
East Palo Alto, CA

Please join Assistant Director of Admissions Connie Swarts and local alumni to learn more about The Duke MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Any idea when Fuqua will release Class of 2015 stats including Acceptance rate and Gmat avg? There are 433 students in this year's class, everyone of whom has an amazing story to tell.

Fuqua has been an amazing experience so far, even though classes started about two weeks ago everyone already knows each other so well. People are super friendly and there is no shortage of parties happening on any given day. The Fear of Missing Out has already set in with all the long case readings due before each class.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
Any idea when Fuqua will release Class of 2015 stats including Acceptance rate and Gmat avg? There are 433 students in this year's class, everyone of whom has an amazing story to tell.

Fuqua has been an amazing experience so far, even though classes started about two weeks ago everyone already knows each other so well. People are super friendly and there is no shortage of parties happening on any given day. The Fear of Missing Out has already set in with all the long case readings due before each class.

The timing varies, but it'll be a couple more month before the stats get updated. By then, the last thing you are worrying about the stats for class of 2015.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bond007 wrote:

I know that the updated employment stats for the Class of 2013 will be coming out late September but you can probably gauge the admission stats of your incoming class of 2015 as you interact with them.

Glad to hear that you guys are in full bonding mode. I saw a video of the incoming class during summer orientation working on a Habitat for Humanity project. Looked like fun!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?

Coastal Federal Credit Union International Student Loan
Fuqua is proud to offer a student loan program for international students through Coastal Federal Credit Union (Coastal). Coastal is a successful and long-standing financial institution and does not require a co-signer. You are applying directly for a line of credit with Coastal. A credit union is a bit different from a traditional bank in that you must become a "member" and establish a small savings account of $25 to utilize their loan services. Coastal Federal Credit Union offers a very competitive rate of prime plus 5%. With the current prime rate of 3.25%, the rate would be 8.25%. Effective January 1, 2013, all new Coastal Loan borrowers will be charged a 3% origination fee that will be added to the principal borrowing amount.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?
Hey HedgeWi - as you suspect, it's not the strongest angle to use. You could potentially mention it somewhere in the essay but it should be just a side comment, rather than a key reason. It is a positive that Duke does this; it shows that they are applicant-friendly and welcoming of international candidates. But it's not really a great reason to be choosing them. It could go in there, just needs to be treated carefully (e.g., don't lead with it).

EssaySnark
Manager
Manager
Send PM
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?[/i]

Agree with essaysnark. If you talk with the adcom, students or alumni, you will get a strong sense that Duke is huge on a cultural fit and I would concentrate on expressing that in your Why Duke essay. Having said that, the essay is supposed to also indicate points which are important to you - and financial support is a big factor.

Ask yourself the question "If I don't get this loan from Duke, will I still go here?" If the answer is no, that might show through in your essays and interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Account Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Jokesta wrote:
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?[/i]

Agree with essaysnark. If you talk with the adcom, students or alumni, you will get a strong sense that Duke is huge on a cultural fit and I would concentrate on expressing that in your Why Duke essay. Having said that, the essay is supposed to also indicate points which are important to you - and financial support is a big factor.

Ask yourself the question "If I don't get this loan from Duke, will I still go here?" If the answer is no, that might show through in your essays and interview.

EssaySnark, Jokesta - thanks for your inputs. This one had me really flummoxed since Duke mentioned 'Friends and Family'. Thanks for clearing that up. I will stick to a low-key side mention.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
HedgeWi wrote:
Jokesta wrote:
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

EssaySnark, Jokesta - thanks for your inputs. This one had me really flummoxed since Duke mentioned 'Friends and Family'. Thanks for clearing that up. I will stick to a low-key side mention.

In my opinion, I would not even bring this up. There are so many things that Fuqua offers (community, classes, professors, clubs, case competitions, I'm being very general here on purpose) that align much more with the team aspect. The co-signer free loan for internationals, although a big logistical reason, is kind of too individual-focused in my view. Mentioning it doesn't show how you can add to your class nor does it explain how it will place you in an environment that you will thrive in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
vinnygambini wrote:
In for EA and visiting on September 13th! Got a morning class, tour/lunch, and interview scheduled...should be enough time to let the visit sink in and do some last-minute tweaking to the application before the 18th.

Anyone else going to be around?

Will be there the same day. Do you plan on going to Fuqua Friday? Does anyone else suggest I stay another night for Fuqua Friday? Why or Why not?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Send PM
mindstatements wrote:
vinnygambini wrote:
In for EA and visiting on September 13th! Got a morning class, tour/lunch, and interview scheduled...should be enough time to let the visit sink in and do some last-minute tweaking to the application before the 18th.

Anyone else going to be around?

Will be there the same day. Do you plan on going to Fuqua Friday? Does anyone else suggest I stay another night for Fuqua Friday? Why or Why not?

What's stopping you? Are you short on time? If not, I'd recommend you to attend. (I haven't attended it yet, and therefore won't have anything more than obvious, but very relevant & important, points - networking/learning more about the community/social bonding etc.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mindstatements wrote:

yes, I would highly recommend staying the extra night for Fuqua Friday. After the stress of the entire day, this event allows you to kick back, relax and immerse into the Fuqua crowd in a unfiltered way. There's also Fuqua vision which is a hilarious collection of video skits participated by students, professors and even the Dean.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the reply guys! Will stay the extra night.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
When do interviews start? I am later in the cycle, but I was wondering when we could start hearing some feedback.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Should the resume be in the same format given in the "Downloadable forms" section or we can follow our own format ?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Spindletree wrote:
Should the resume be in the same format given in the "Downloadable forms" section or we can follow our own format ?
You can follow your own format.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts