Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Is there any way to strengthen an application once it is in the waitlist zone? I've read sending an update letter, additional recommendations, retaking GMAT etc as all being options.... thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Didn't they say NOT to send anything extra in the FC email?

Originally posted by Africa1989 on 17 Oct 2013, 12:07.
Last edited by Africa1989 on 18 Oct 2013, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Letter specifically says not to send them stuff as it won't be added to our file / considered in their decision. HBS has historically been one of the "Don't Call Us. We'll Call You" type schools for the deferrals, but not sure if there are exceptional circumstances. Any guidance from someone who's gone through this would be great.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
ganteymula wrote:
Is there any way to strengthen an application once it is in the waitlist zone? I've read sending an update letter, additional recommendations, retaking GMAT etc as all being options.... thoughts?

waitlist-guide-to-earning-yourself-an-admit-129448.html
waitlist-best-practices-compilation-57306.html

Good luck!

[edit]: Sorry. Posted the wrong links earlier.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
dwal44 wrote:
EBM wrote:
vcruz80 wrote:
I wonder why they would defer so many people...maybe they got a lot more applications in R1 than usual due to only having one essay?

If they're like most schools, they defer groups of people broken down by work experience, nationality, career goals, etc. so they can round out the class later. That way if they get to R2 or R3 and realize that consultants/military/engineers/Europeans/Middle Easterners/etc. are underrepresented, they've got a handful of qualified options on hand to choose from.

I would wonder why they don't defer after interview if we are really qualified? Seems like they have enough people they interview that don't get in, then are the deferred people a step down from them? I guess I won't think about it too much...

Who knows? Maybe they interviewed a bunch of people who turned out to be ***holes...maybe they used the interviews to narrow down the applicants from over-represented fields like banking and consulting. It's best not to worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Another update from HBS, this time clarifying that "further consideration" does not mean "waitlist" (which is post-interview) and that "deferred" isn't a word they use at all (and probably just confuses things). On "further consideration"

Quote:
Further Consideration (FC): We've reviewed your written application and have decided to neither move you forward to "interview" nor "deny" at this time. One reason is that we have a finite number of interview spots we can offer and still keep to our promised December 11 notification date. The other is that we can't see Round 2 applications before we need to make final Round 1 decisions - December 11 is the Round 1 notification date and the Round 2 application deadline is January 6. So we'd like to hold on to you and "further consider" your application in Round 2. We anticipate being able to interview a meaningful number of those "FCs" in February/March. Once in the interview group, these candidates have the same chances of being admitted as any other interviewee - somewhere between 50% and 60%.

It seems they're trying to be helpful short of telling us numbers (historical / projected... which I wish they would) or just flat out tell us that "Yes, you - ElGrampo - are definitely getting in." Points for regular updating & transparency. Let's hope "meaningful number" = 100%!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
interestingly the chances of getting in after interview are now somewhere between 50%-60% and not outright 60%!

also, will 100 less offers be given this year as 2+2's start kicking in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
grit wrote:
interestingly the chances of getting in after interview are now somewhere between 50%-60% and not outright 60%!

When were they 60%?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
do remember it being quoted by HBSguru and P&Q several times on blogs etc. For e.g. Dee's 2010 interview with P&Q. Sorry, can't post URLs, I'm quite a baby on this site.

BTW - this is just pre-interview stress and over-analysing everything on any website or public resource. feel free to ignore!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
How are you all preparing for the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
nikkiikkio wrote:

- reading up interview prep articles on clear admit and other similar sites
- preparing outlines of answers to key questions (describe yourself/strengths/weaknesses/why mba/career goals etc)
- also tried the mirror method a couple of times, seems interesting. Please google 'vince prep mirror method'
- praying!

What about you guys?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Beckham123 wrote:
nikkiikkio wrote:

- reading up interview prep articles on clear admit and other similar sites
- preparing outlines of answers to key questions (describe yourself/strengths/weaknesses/why mba/career goals etc)
- also tried the mirror method a couple of times, seems interesting. Please google 'vince prep mirror method'
- praying!

What about you guys?

I'd be very careful with the Vince Prep mirror method. One of the major reasons people get dinged, according to Dee, is that their "their interview responses were too scripted". The interviewer couldn't get through to the real person. Maybe the mirror method could help bolster your confidence but I'd use it with caution and probably just concentrate more on answering curve-balls.

That's just me though, but I'm yet to submit my application not to talk of being called up for interview. So, feel free to ignore.
Chat Moderator
Affiliations: Tau Beta Pi
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I'm going to agree with knightofdelta, above. In most cases the HBS interview should feel more like a conversation - would you practice a conversation in front of a mirror?

My advice? Find a current HBS student or an HBS alumnus (ahem) that you know, and just talk to them. Don't tell them you want to do a mock interview, but do mention that you have an interview coming up. You should have a nice conversation, where many of the topics from the interview will come up. It will help you feel more comfortable in your own skin, and will hopefully reduce some of the anxiety you may be feeling.

Good luck, everyone! Feel free to drop by the chat room if you need to vent :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Interview-related question. I noticed on Poets & Quants a passing reference to the fact that Dee has in the past asked "Who is your favourite Downton Abbey daughter." I have never watched the show. Should I start a series marathon?

(I know this is probably a ridiculous question but it seems like such a weird and random thing to ask and I'd hate to be wrongfooted just because I watch the wrong tv shows!)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
londoncalling1 wrote:
Interview-related question. I noticed on Poets & Quants a passing reference to the fact that Dee has in the past asked "Who is your favourite Downton Abbey daughter." I have never watched the show. Should I start a series marathon?

No. Also, the last season devolved into bad television, so it's really not worth getting into.

londoncalling1 wrote:
I know this is probably a ridiculous question

You are correct!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
londoncalling1 wrote:

(I know this is probably a ridiculous question but it seems like such a weird and random thing to ask and I'd hate to be wrongfooted just because I watch the wrong tv shows!)

Why not just say, "I'm sorry I have never seen that show."?

Some of you guys stress over the weirdest things. :lol: Relax.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hey guys, I have a question.

Do you guys happen to know who will be the one interviewing candidate in each station?

Has it published somewhere or they keep it confidential until you arrive at your interview location?

Thanks a lot in advance :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts