Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 13:20 It is currently 07 May 2024, 13:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28606 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q50 V14
GMAT 2: 630 Q48 V29
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30863 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Sentence splitting in SC [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Dear Amit,

Thank you for recommend e-GMAT.

@Shelrod - we have a few sentence structure concepts in SC free trial. Take those. Use the free trial link from the signature.

-Rajat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Rajat ,

I am already a customer of Verbal Live prep , as per the student policy on the forums i am supposed to post my doubts on gmat club and paste the links on the forum .
As a beginer i have difficulty to split sentences so i posted the query here first .
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30863 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shelrod007 wrote:
Hi Rajat ,

I am already a customer of Verbal Live prep , as per the student policy on the forums i am supposed to post my doubts on gmat club and paste the links on the forum .
As a beginer i have difficulty to split sentences so i posted the query here first .

Thanks for posting your query Shelrod.
I have reviewed your analysis and here is my assessment :)

You are right in your meaning analysis.

You are also right that “found” is not a verb and is a “verb-ed modifier”. (It gives information about the fossils. i.e. the fossils are found in Puerto Rico)

But you faltered when you could not recognize that “made” is a verb. Let's assume for a moment that “made” is a verb-ed modifier. Now ask yourself “How is it modifying fossils?” Can you say that "fossils were made it the earliest known mammal"? No we cannot say that.

So as you can see it isn’t a verb-ed modifier. It is indeed a verb.
But the problem here in this sentence is that the Subject-Verb Pair do not make sense.
“Fossils made Sloth the earliest known mammal…” isn’t logical!
Fossils cannot make Sloth the earliest known mammal. (But something like “The discovery of fossils made the sloth the earliest known mammal…” will definitely make sense.)

Next we come to the pronoun -
Actually there isn’t any problem with “it”. “it” can logically refer to only one antecedent “sloth”. Nothing else.

When in doubt, always replace the pronoun with the possible nouns (one by one) and see which one makes sense.
Here only “… sloth the earliest known mammal…” makes sense. “… arm the earliest known mammal…” is illogical and so “it” cannot refer to “arm”.
Also “it” cannot refer to “fossils” for the reason mentioned by you. So “it” logically refers to only one noun (sloth) and so there isn’t any pronoun error.

(Always remember that the only rule governing the usage of pronouns is “There should be only one logical antecedent to a pronoun. The antecedent need not necessarily be near to the pronoun” If there is no logical antecedent or more than one logical antecedents, then the sentence has a pronoun error)

I hope this helps. :)
Regards,
Krishna.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
shelrod007 wrote:
Hi Rajat ,

Thanks for posting your query Shelrod.
I have reviewed your analysis and here is my assessment :)

You are right in your meaning analysis.

You are also right that “found” is not a verb and is a “verb-ed modifier”. (It gives information about the fossils. i.e. the fossils are found in Puerto Rico)

But you faltered when you could not recognize that “made” is a verb. Let's assume for a moment that “made” is a verb-ed modifier. Now ask yourself “How is it modifying fossils?” Can you say that "fossils were made it the earliest known mammal"? No we cannot say that.

So as you can see it isn’t a verb-ed modifier. It is indeed a verb.
But the problem here in this sentence is that the Subject-Verb Pair do not make sense.
“Fossils made Sloth the earliest known mammal…” isn’t logical!
Fossils cannot make Sloth the earliest known mammal. (But something like “The discovery of fossils made the sloth the earliest known mammal…” will definitely make sense.)

Next we come to the pronoun -
Actually there isn’t any problem with “it”. “it” can logically refer to only one antecedent “sloth”. Nothing else.

When in doubt, always replace the pronoun with the possible nouns (one by one) and see which one makes sense.
Here only “… sloth the earliest known mammal…” makes sense. “… arm the earliest known mammal…” is illogical and so “it” cannot refer to “arm”.
Also “it” cannot refer to “fossils” for the reason mentioned by you. So “it” logically refers to only one noun (sloth) and so there isn’t any pronoun error.

(Always remember that the only rule governing the usage of pronouns is “There should be only one logical antecedent to a pronoun. The antecedent need not necessarily be near to the pronoun” If there is no logical antecedent or more than one logical antecedents, then the sentence has a pronoun error)

I hope this helps. :)
Regards,
Krishna.

Krishna,

So all that we learnt that subject cannot reside in prepositional phrase is not 100% true ? The meaning of the sentence should also make sense ?

Regards,
Abhinav
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28606 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Krishna,

So all that we learnt that subject cannot reside in prepositional phrase is not 100% true ? The meaning of the sentence should also make sense ?

Regards, Abhinav

Dear Abhinav,
I'm happy to respond to this. :-)

The two noun roles:
(a) Subject of a sentence
(b) Object of a prepositional phrase
are 100% mutually exclusive, and at no time can any noun or any structure simultaneously play both of those roles. You can rely on that. It's unclear what made you think otherwise.

Also, it's very important to appreciate. Folks think the GMAT SC questions are only about grammar. The GMAT SC tests meaning, and ultimately, meaning is more important topic than grammar alone. You can never afford to neglect meaning in a GMAT SC problem.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Krishna,

Regards, Abhinav

Dear Abhinav,
I'm happy to respond to this. :-)

The two noun roles:
(a) Subject of a sentence
(b) Object of a prepositional phrase
are 100% mutually exclusive, and at no time can any noun or any structure simultaneously play both of those roles. You can rely on that. It's unclear what made you think otherwise.

Also, it's very important to appreciate. Folks think the GMAT SC questions are only about grammar. The GMAT SC tests meaning, and ultimately, meaning is more important topic than grammar alone. You can never afford to neglect meaning in a GMAT SC problem.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

i second that, realised I mixed the two.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14002 posts