Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 07:35 It is currently 03 May 2024, 07:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [6]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Urgent!: 750 on GMAT, but Oxford SAID is the best I can do? [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks Jumsumtak and Domotron! That was quick - I appreciate it.. its good to know I have some support :) And I wish you guys the best of luck in the New Year!

@ Domotron -It might seem weird that I applied to Said and now I don't sound so keen (lol). The thing is I am naturally on the pessimistic side - and although I have respect for Said's programme, which led me to apply (and I am still not AGAINST joining SBS) - I am just trying to make sure that I am not making an insanely bad choice here because:

1. There seems to be a lot of bashing against SBS (inferior biz school on the coat tails of Oxford) on a lot of forums - and that worries me! I don't want to get an MBA and then be judged as a "wannabe" among my peers if and when I break into a consulting practice post-mba.
2. The consensus among most of my friends is that I would be under-achieving if I accepted SBS and should rather try for Fuqua/UCLA/Darden - and I assumed that SBS was a better choice over these (mostly because of the prestige of Oxford brand). Now while I dont need others to make up my mind for me, I do like to listen to as many inputs as possible to make an informed decision. That's also why im throwing this out into this forum.

Great tip - the talking to Derek Walker part! I will do that ASAP! And I am aiming for Tier 2 consulting firms although I cannot help but dream of M/B/B :)

@Jumsuntak -
1.) Applying to any schools in R2? Duke/Darden/Ross etc. are on a similar tier and place really well in the consulting industry.
- No - for some reason I was drained with all the applications and interviews after R1 and had a lot of personal stuff going on in December :( Would a Duke or a Darden MBA be a better choice for consulting?
2.) Are you ok to apply next year? Or rather, is there a pressing need (external circumstances) that you should go to school this fall?
- I would prefer to join this year, as I feel my career is stagnating haha and I am already 28..
3.) Have you talked to any Said MBA internationals on recruitment?
- I have contacted quite a few Indian students via email and Linkedin.. and they admit that the visa issue will always be an obstacle, but a lot of them have managed to tie down offers in firms such as Oliver Wyman or E&Y.
4.) Where do you want to work post MBA? If you are thinking of returning back to India immediately, the Oxford brand may pull it off for you. (for tier 2s and big 4s)
- In the short term I would like to work in the UK if possible - but in the long term I would want to be in Asia (Singapore/India)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72997 [5]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry to break it to you but everyone applying to those top 10 schools has a GMAT 750 or about so.
GMAT is not a factor in the top programs. You as a person, your essays, Interviews, Resume, and LOR's are the drivers.

Oxford is a great name. To add to what others have said, if you don't care to be in the US then it would work well for you. If you want to end up staying in the US after your MBA, then it is probably the wrong choice.

P.S. It is a well-ranked school: all-2013-mba-rankings-99812.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks bb! Happy New Year!

I always knew that 750 was not going to make me a rock-star candidate - I guess if I was told at the start of my applications that I would be getting into SBS I would have been delighted! But then getting invited to interview with Tuck raised my expectations, and the reject broke my heart! hehe Expectation is the cause of all suffering I guess! :)

I have no plans of settling in the US - its Europe and Asia for me.

I guess I just needed to make sure that Said is taken seriously in the Business world - especially by consulting firms! Speaking to you guys has really cleared my head and I think I should contribute more to this forum as well instead of whining here haha! But I would love to hear any further thoughts or advice as well..
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72997 [2]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SmallFry wrote:

I always knew that 750 was not going to make me a rock-star candidate - I guess if I was told at the start of my applications that I would be getting into SBS I would have been delighted! But then getting invited to interview with Tuck raised my expectations, and the reject broke my heart! hehe Expectation is the cause of all suffering I guess! :)

I guess I just needed to make sure that Said is taken seriously in the Business world - especially by consulting firms! Speaking to you guys has really cleared my head and I think I should contribute more to this forum as well instead of whining here haha! But I would love to hear any further thoughts or advice as well..

If you are going to stay in Europe/Asia, there is not a whole lot of reason to go to school in the US.
The US offers 2-year programs, summer internship is often a must, etc.
Recruiting in Europe from the US would be harder (unless you had some contacts already that would help you with landing a job), it would be more expensive, and on and on. So I think Said is a good choice. Probably not as much of a money-making machine as INSEAD is, but still a very strong name and program. Enjoy!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
bb wrote:
SmallFry wrote:

If you are going to stay in Europe/Asia, there is not a whole lot of reason to go to school in the US.
The US offers 2-year programs, summer internship is often a must, etc.
Recruiting in Europe from the US would be harder (unless you had some contacts already that would help you with landing a job), it would be more expensive, and on and on. So I think Said is a good choice. Probably not as much of a money-making machine as INSEAD is, but still a very strong name and program. Enjoy!

Yes do i agree ; But i would suggest to stay calm and apply in next session to the USA- B school. Probably you will be picked up.
Best Luck

Thanks

:-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
SmallFry wrote:

That just settles the matter, for me.

If you're not willing to work in the US, you need to look at EU/Asian schools. You may give LBS/INSEAD a shot, but after that it is pretty much Oxbridge/HEC/IE(SE) etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
SmallFry wrote:

That just settles the matter, for me.

If you're not willing to work in the US, you need to look at EU/Asian schools. You may give LBS/INSEAD a shot, but after that it is pretty much Oxbridge/HEC/IE(SE) etc.

Also consider IIM-A ; HKUST to apply this are also gd schools.
Thanks
:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Jumsumtak,

I did apply to INSEAD and was rejected without an interview - weird because I felt I had put in strong essays and recommendations. INSEAD was my top choice because it places so damn well in the consulting industry! I guess I'm set then - Said it is! Thanks for the help.

One query -it appears that the US B-schools place a lot better into consulting. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make the best of my time (from now until the end of my MBA at Said) to land a consulting gig at a tier-1/tier-2 firm? Are there any courses or pre mba internships I could be doing to ease the transition from IT consulting to Management consulting/ Business tech consulting?

Should i move this question to a different forum BTW?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SmallFry wrote:
Thanks Jumsumtak,

I did apply to INSEAD and was rejected without an interview - weird because I felt I had put in strong essays and recommendations. INSEAD was my top choice because it places so damn well in the consulting industry! I guess I'm set then - Said it is! Thanks for the help.

One query -it appears that the US B-schools place a lot better into consulting. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make the best of my time (from now until the end of my MBA at Said) to land a consulting gig at a tier-1/tier-2 firm? Are there any courses or pre mba internships I could be doing to ease the transition from IT consulting to Management consulting/ Business tech consulting?

Hi;
Its appear that you have made your mind for SAID. OK then as you may knew that SAID had a strong recruiters from Finance sector. It will be helpful for you to strategies your efforts to learn Quant finance / analysis. I guess there are good MOOCS available at class central to give you introduction to the Quantitative methods in finance and finical engineering.

Here is https://www.class-central.com/subject/marketing-and-finance has list of MOOCS helpful as pre- MBA course. I guess rest assured by your handwork

Beat Luck
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
SmallFry wrote:
Thanks Jumsumtak,

Good question.

I dont think doing courses would help, really. But, if you could get that pre mba internship in the industry, that would be a great starting point, not only to enhance your understanding of the work, but also to expand your network.

You may also try to build some base around cases, talk and network with alumni/career services/students etc.

(Take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a student/alum ad this is just my understanding of the process)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
SmallFry wrote:
Thanks Jumsumtak,

Again if you choose to matriculate at Said speak to their careers teach. They probably will be able to help put together a plan that means you maximise the opportunities and limited amount of time to be successful in your career switch. Their best example was how an English secondary school teacher transitioned to work in banking in Hong Kong!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos