Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 04:12 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 04:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 540 Q34 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 540 Q34 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Re: 610... WHAT HAPPENED?? Need guidance, please. [#permalink]
Kudos
...i might be wrong, but i think reverting to "what sounds right" is not too bad. you just have to use a good mixture of "what sounds right" and a rule-based approach. at least is this what i did for SC. i am a german native speaker and i think that german and english are quite close relatives (SC really reminded me about this), so this might not work for every nonnative speaker.
in general i recommend that you work exclusively with GMAC questions and check the explanations on the MGMAT forum. the instructors there are geniuses!
and - as i said - i always did about 20 timed SCs and 20 timed CRs per study session. afterwards i tried to thoroughly reason out whats wrong and right about every answer choice (even for the questions i got right) and then i checked the explanation on the MGMAT forum.
the reason why you should try to find out by yourself whats right and wrong is that this is a good way to become sensitized to recognize the error patterns.
and to RC: for me this was the hardest part of the verbal part. i did not study too much for it actively, instead i read some good american fiction books. this helped me a lot to improve my reading speed and my ability to understand the text on the first time i read it (in the beginning i often had to read a sentence 2-4 times to understand it a 100%). in general i read the passage once, made some notes and tried to understand the text a 100% and then i answered the questions from my memory. this "read it once and refer back to the passage for every question"-technique as it is recommended by some RC books (e.g. MGMAT) did not work for me at all.
i am indeed really happy with my verbal score. maybe also for other nonnatives who struggle with verbal: in my very first verbal preptest i had a 25 and in the second a 23! improving by 15-20 points is not impossible or reserved for native speakers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
vogelleblanc wrote:
...i might be wrong, but i think reverting to "what sounds right" is not too bad. you just have to use a good mixture of "what sounds right" and a rule-based approach. at least is this what i did for SC. i am a german native speaker and i think that german and english are quite close relatives (SC really reminded me about this), so this might not work for every nonnative speaker.
in general i recommend that you work exclusively with GMAC questions and check the explanations on the MGMAT forum. the instructors there are geniuses!
and - as i said - i always did about 20 timed SCs and 20 timed CRs per study session. afterwards i tried to thoroughly reason out whats wrong and right about every answer choice (even for the questions i got right) and then i checked the explanation on the MGMAT forum.
the reason why you should try to find out by yourself whats right and wrong is that this is a good way to become sensitized to recognize the error patterns.
and to RC: for me this was the hardest part of the verbal part. i did not study too much for it actively, instead i read some good american fiction books. this helped me a lot to improve my reading speed and my ability to understand the text on the first time i read it (in the beginning i often had to read a sentence 2-4 times to understand it a 100%). in general i read the passage once, made some notes and tried to understand the text a 100% and then i answered the questions from my memory. this "read it once and refer back to the passage for every question"-technique as it is recommended by some RC books (e.g. MGMAT) did not work for me at all.
i am indeed really happy with my verbal score. maybe also for other nonnatives who struggle with verbal: in my very first verbal preptest i had a 25 and in the second a 23! improving by 15-20 points is not impossible or reserved for native speakers.

You are such an inspiration! You should post a longer debrief for other people like me to take heart from :) Congratulations for taming the GMAT!
GMAT Club Bot