Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which MBA?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [4]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Send PM
Re: Johnson vs Tepper 60k Schoalrship [#permalink]
Kudos
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
Basically tepper is paying me 60k after taxes to do a little more of my own recruiting.

It may seem trivial, but it's very difficult to do your "own" recruiting in IB. Especially at a school of Tepper's tier. To illustrate, at Johnson, all the 1st years pretty much have to set up informationals with the second years that interned in IB. The banks talk to their second years about which first years look like good candidates, etc. Then around October, the 1st years head down to NYC every Friday to talk to the banks (and get facetime), and the banks actually make cuts throughout this process.

But that may be a product of more people pursuing ib at Johnson vs tepper. Unlikely but possible.

This may seem irrelevant to you, but it's actually backing up my point even if it's a case of students at Tepper not being interested in IB. The less students that are interested, the less chance that a bank is going to recruit at Tepper as a core school, and the less likely you'll have alumni contacts at these banks...you see where I'm going with this.

I'd like to point out that I'm being objective here (i.e. not trying to toot Johnson's horn). If it was Tepper with $$ vs. other top 15 school with better banking numbers, I'd choose the other school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's more of the answer I was looking for. Are you doing ib? I definitely understand what you are saying. I also feel like tepper's finance program takes some of the banking candidates out oh the MBA and in to the mscf program. I loved Johnson but 60k definitely makes you think.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
That's more of the answer I was looking for. Are you doing ib? I definitely understand what you are saying. I also feel like tepper's finance program takes some of the banking candidates out oh the MBA and in to the mscf program. I loved Johnson but 60k definitely makes you think.

I'm not doing IB - this is what I've observed from my classmates. Also keep in mind that IB doesn't automatically equal NYC. A bunch of my classmates organized a trek down to Houston to meet with banks. There's strength in numbers. $60K is nothing to sneeze at, but if you land an IB job after graduation, it'll be pretty trivial.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Here we go.

I have an offer from Tepper with a 60k scholarship and an admittance to Johnson. My back ground is commercial banking and 1 year ar at a hedge fund. Post MBA I want to get into investment banking first and foremost or asset managment "backup". Which school should I choose? One had limited debt the other closer to NY. Any advice would be awesome.

Go for Johnson

Thanks
:-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I think it depends on your current financial situation. Since you have background in finance, you're not really making that big of a career jump, and I don't think either of these schools scream IB.

So ignoring the perks of fit/community/etc that each school may bring...
If the 60k is important to you financially, I think Tepper will get you there, and I don't think you'd have a problem getting into IB after. If I were in your situation, I'd take the $60k and go to Tepper.

When banks recruit at Tepper, they'll be coming in from NYC. They're not going to rush home like they might in Ithaca since it's only 3-4 hours away. You may have more time and access to them during recruiting events. Plus, Tepper's a smaller school, you may stick out more. Just a few things to think about.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I would suggest you reach out to Johnson and 'politely' request again for any scholarship money and indicate you are really inclined to be there.
60K is nothing to scoff about. One other thing to compare apart from all the recruitment, fit ... is the total cost of attendance and see how much of a difference 60K is going to be. (I've read somewhere that Tepper is a little pricier.)

Read this to see if it helps. https://julianneharty.blogspot.com/search/label/debt
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dan8294 wrote:

When banks recruit at Tepper, they'll be coming in from NYC. They're not going to rush home like they might in Ithaca since it's only 3-4 hours away. You may have more time and access to them during recruiting events. Plus, Tepper's a smaller school, you may stick out more. Just a few things to think about.

This isn't the reality. IB on campus recruiting is ALOT different from other fields, and it's very grueling. A bank may come once or twice to campus - but the real recruiting happens on Fridays at the banks. In fact banks make cuts DURING the process. They'll literally just stop inviting some candidates back. It's not your typical cover letter and resume on campus drop.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
So now I have an even bigger dilemma. Johnson gave me a small scholarship, Vanderbilt came in with 75-80% scholarship, Carnegie Mellon is reviewing their offer and UNC took me off the waitlist and is going to give me fellowship info on Monday, if I get any.

Side note my sister is going to undergrad at UNC so it would be awesome to be there for two years with her.

I am aiming at doing I.B. but I also have a pretty neat idea for a start-up and I think I might end up scratching that itch.

So, the real decision is a school that has a good i.b. track record and also has a really good entrepreneurship set up.

So, if I do a start up the capital would be a big plus i.e. scholarship. But, I sitll want to go to the best school possible and the school with the best fit.

I still have applications out at duke, mit and yale. So I will update as the situation progresses.

Oh and thanks for all the feedback. I do actually take it all in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Dan8294 wrote:

This isn't the reality. IB on campus recruiting is ALOT different from other fields, and it's very grueling. A bank may come once or twice to campus - but the real recruiting happens on Fridays at the banks. In fact banks make cuts DURING the process. They'll literally just stop inviting some candidates back. It's not your typical cover letter and resume on campus drop.

With this in consideration, I would reach out to current SY's at Johnson and Tepper that are doing IB and see how they're doing with recruiting and what types of offers they're getting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [7]
Send PM
Re: Johnson 8% vs Tepper 60% vs Owen 80% vs Kenan Flagler (?) [#permalink]
Kudos
So, as of now, unless yale, Duke or MIT come in with a good offer I am going to Vanderbilt. I know this seems crazy to most people but they have everything I want. A great school , great students, great professors and a great staff. I like the small cohort and I feel like I could make a big impact there. At other schools I feel like a number and a stats booster not a person. The companies I want to work for actively recruit on campus. Citi is core, wells, boa, credit suise and sun trust all recruit on campus. Not to mention a few people a year go to goldman. In such a small cohort, to land at all these companies is impressive. I would say it is broad and shallow placement as compared to most schools which are narrow and deep at select companies. I also feel like the school is on the rise. The new dean came from tuck the head of admissions and recruiting came from Tuck and the school is putting a lot of effort into becoming a top 20 staple. They also have a great entrepreneurship center which I think I will take advantage of. Well that's all i have.

CMU: the extra 33k is not worth it to me. They have no i.b. recruiting that come to campus.... The entrepreneurship is awesome but so is having 33k more to start a company.
Cornell: well 80k is a lot to pay for the slight defference in rakning. I know most of you will laugh but seriously its not H,S,W, its Cornell. I know with my background , gmat and vanderbilt's help i will land an i.b. spot at a bulge if I want it. Why the hell would I pay an extra 80k to do it. Yeah moelis and some of the boutiques are out but thats cool. Plus I'd rather be in charlotte, atlanta or houston making 200-300 a yr than in manhattan making 200-300 a yr...

I think I've come to the conclusion that, outside the top 5 go to a school were you can get where you want to be for the least amount.
Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by thisisatestonlyatest on 10 Feb 2014, 12:43.
Last edited by thisisatestonlyatest on 19 Apr 2014, 09:07, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Wow, congrats on making the decision. Awesome that you were more interested in fit instead of rankings. FWIW, I was leaning towards Tepper, but CobraKai convinced me for Johnson.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
politricks wrote:
Wow, congrats on making the decision. Awesome that you were more interested in fit instead of rankings. FWIW, I was leaning towards Tepper, but CobraKai convinced me for Johnson.

Yeah, people kept saying go to the highest ranked school.... Its ridiculous really. Go to the best school that gets you were you want to be with the least debt. Everyone says well the higher rank school will pay off in the end. Not really. If I go to JPM from Vanderbilt or Cornell the 100k difference is going to be impossible to pay off. Not to mention the compounding interest. In my eyes I am pretty much the same candidate coming out of either. Again (H,W,S) is different but aside from those it doenst matter. I still have the same work experience , the same work ethic, same personality, same GMAT score on my resume just a different name at the top of the paper. I think top recruits at any school are going to get looks at any school that companies come to campus. Remember that when you are applying...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3122 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
A humble request... If you could withdraw your applications at UNC and Tepper, that would help me twice.. :)
politricks wrote:

Yeah, people kept saying go to the highest ranked school.... Its ridiculous really. Go to the best school that gets you were you want to be with the least debt. Everyone says well the higher rank school will pay off in the end. Not really. If I go to JPM from Vanderbilt or Cornell the 100k difference is going to be impossible to pay off. Not to mention the compounding interest. In my eyes I am pretty much the same candidate coming out of either. Again (H,W,S) is different but aside from those it doenst matter. I still have the same work experience , the same work ethic, same personality, same GMAT score on my resume just a different name at the top of the paper. I think top recruits at any school are going to get looks at any school that companies come to campus. Remember that when you are applying...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well duke just jacked my decision all up. Ill let you know by saturday where i am going.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well duke just jacked my decision all up. Ill let you know by saturday where i am going.

Just curious - what was the offer from Duke?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dan8294 wrote:

just admitted no money. The recruiting there is unbelievable and its my dream school. I slept with a duke pillow since I was 2. I'm not completely sold but I'm leaning toward duke. Plus I'm from here and my wife is also. I could prob save 500-700 a month on rent and I could be a Cameron crazy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dan8294 wrote:

just admitted no money. The recruiting there is unbelievable and its my dream school. I slept with a duke pillow since I was 2. I'm not completely sold but I'm leaning toward duke. Plus I'm from here and my wife is also. I could prob save 500-700 a month on rent and I could be a Cameron crazy.

Considering your location, career goals, and personal connection to the school, if I were you, I'd go with Duke.

If you're in the Southeast and making $150k+, you could crush the debt in no time if you want to. Owen's a good school, but I don't think that the scholarship is worth it in this situation since your career goals are so firm.

Tell the Adcom at Duke your situation with the other schools, tell them that Duke's your dream school (I'm assuming that it is), maybe they'll give you a partial scholarship or something.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts