Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [7]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Anderson (UCLA): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
mbauclaanderson wrote:
@Gambelda: I've learned enough get myself admitted to business school. Looks like you've been dinged by quite a few schools. Better luck next year :lol:

I think you just proved Gambelda's point about you lacking in critical thinking. I can understand why you are unhappy with Anderson.

@Gambelda, feel free to send me a PM. Whatever happens this year, I will be more than happy to have a chat with you regarding MBA at Anderson or anywhere else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [4]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Kudos
dc3828102 wrote:
I think you just proved Gambelda's point about you lacking in critical thinking..

I think this is more severe than just critical thinking. In my eyes, a top MBA - even from H/S/W - is no use with the attitude that stems from that particular user's comments. No humility, empathy or even sympathy... man, I'd hate to work with/for that person. And I'd absolutely hate to be their friend outside of work.

**** MBA. One must learn to be a good human being first. But hey, that's just me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
mbauclaanderson wrote:
To everyone that was admitted congratulations, but please be careful in considering your decision on which school to attend. I wanted to share this letter that current students received from Dean Olian regarding UCLA Anderson's US News rankings. As a current student, it definitely feels like Anderson is focused on gaming the ranking system, instead of providing a high quality education. I'm sure some of you felt this during your interview/visits. Some professors have been very vocal with their disapproval of this policy.

So they want to boost their rankings by "very modest increases in job placements at graduation and three-months post-graduation. We believe that the changes we have made in admissions, course offerings, career and job search preparation through workshops, counseling and peer coaching will lead to increasingly positive employment outcomes among the MBA student body."

In other words, they want to increase rankings by getting their students more and better jobs. How is this a bad thing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.32
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Have we learned about how many admits go out before the deadline? It seems like about 70% have went out already.

I have a decent background, but I had a terrible interview. I think the Skype-factor killed me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
jsnaza wrote:
Have we learned about how many admits go out before the deadline? It seems like about 70% have went out already.

I have a decent background, but I had a terrible interview. I think the Skype-factor killed me.

In round 1, more than half of the offers came on the decision deadline itself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
JavertHL wrote:
mbauclaanderson wrote:
To everyone that was admitted congratulations, but please be careful in considering your decision on which school to attend. I wanted to share this letter that current students received from Dean Olian regarding UCLA Anderson's US News rankings. As a current student, it definitely feels like Anderson is focused on gaming the ranking system, instead of providing a high quality education. I'm sure some of you felt this during your interview/visits. Some professors have been very vocal with their disapproval of this policy.

So they want to boost their rankings by "very modest increases in job placements at graduation and three-months post-graduation. We believe that the changes we have made in admissions, course offerings, career and job search preparation through workshops, counseling and peer coaching will lead to increasingly positive employment outcomes among the MBA student body."

In other words, they want to increase rankings by getting their students more and better jobs. How is this a bad thing?

I'm unsure what MBA UCLA Anderson is trying to prove. If you have a bad experience, then you should try to increase the value of your MBA by attracting better students. After getting an MBA, I'm going to try to get a job, and if that helps my alma mater attract better prospective students, then that sounds like a win-win. If MBA UCLA Anderson makes his/her dream come true, then no one will enroll in Anderson this year, causing UCLA's business school to fail, and leaving the poster with a worthless degree.

How does that benefit anyone?

Improve from within. A common criticism of business schools is that it produces sociopaths that count money as points. These business(wo)men don't have empathy and don't examine the effects that earning that money may cause. I'm glad to see that one person without empathy for others had a miserable time at UCLA. It makes UCLA seem like a better place for those that want to further their career.

I'm sorry for your poor experience, but instead of berating people who are worrying every day over their acceptances/rejections, you should post information from your time at UCLA. Classes to take, not to take, where you would rather have gone and why, or looking back, how you would have improved your experience. Focus on positives and ways to better one's time in B-school, instead of posting a hit piece.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos
dc3828102 wrote:
mbauclaanderson wrote:
@Gambelda: I've learned enough get myself admitted to business school. Looks like you've been dinged by quite a few schools. Better luck next year :lol:

I think you just proved Gambelda's point about you lacking in critical thinking. I can understand why you are unhappy with Anderson.

@Gambelda, feel free to send me a PM. Whatever happens this year, I will be more than happy to have a chat with you regarding MBA at Anderson or anywhere else.

Thanks appreciate it! I love Anderson and just waiting to hear if I got accepted or not. Admitted to USC - but ultimately, I'm waiting to hear from 3 schools which are all significantly more prestigious an interesting to my career goals.

To the guy who sounds like a disgruntled Anderson student....perhaps one of the reasons you do not enjoy your time there is because your attitude is so extremely poor that I can honestly say I don't think many of us would want you as a colleague in our studies. Ultimately, getting a job is YOUR responsibility, not the schools to get one for you. You should network, and work your ass off to get where you want. If you thought something would be handed to you, then you were sorely mistaken.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
mbauclaanderson:

Can you tell us more about why you're not happy with UCLA Anderson?

Forget rankings; some of us (probably most of us if not all of us) applied to Anderson for reasons beyond rankings. As mentioned by others above, please tell us the following:

1) Your experiences with professors

2) Your experiences with classmates

3) Your experiences with the Career Center with respect to the following:
a. Finding interesting opportunities
b. Getting career preparation for your internship/full-time job

4) Your experiences in interacting with alumni

5) Your experiences with the clubs:
a. Which one(s) were most beneficial/enjoyable for you?
b. Which one(s) did you not like? And why?

6) What else makes you happy/unhappy at the school? What do you wish you had done differently?

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we will get much more value from your input if you talk about those aspects. Thank you!

mbauclaanderson wrote:

Letter from Judy Olian

To the UCLA Anderson MBA Community:

U.S. News & World Report (USN&WR) today issued its annual rankings of business schools. UCLA Anderson’s Full-Time MBA program is ranked 16, down two spots from last year. For more on the USN&WR rankings, go here.

Various rankings measure different variables and use diverse methodologies. For the full-time MBA program, USN&WR measures peer and recruiter perceptions (40% of the overall weighting), entering applicant quality and selectivity metrics (25%), and graduating class employment and compensation rates (35%). For the detailed methodology, go here.

While there were small improvements in Anderson’s 2014 MBA USN&WR peer assessments and average entering GMAT scores, we dropped a little on average entering GPA. The biggest decline relative to our peers occurred in our placement metrics: Percent of students employed at graduation, three-months post-graduation, and average starting salary.

Our analysis indicates that our relative MBA rankings would likely improve with very modest increases in job placements at graduation and three-months post-graduation. We believe that the changes we have made in admissions, course offerings, career and job search preparation through workshops, counseling and peer coaching will lead to increasingly positive employment outcomes among the MBA student body. As many of you know from our ongoing discussions and town meetings about program rankings, three years ago we revamped our admissions and employment strategies with the view that the results of these changes would take several years to work through the system.

The Fully-Employed MBA (FEMBA) program ranking in USN&WR is tied for 4th, up one spot since 2013; and the Executive MBA (EMBA) program is ranked 8th, down one spot from last year.

Other surveys use different metrics, resulting in diverse rankings. Following is a list of various survey rankings reported over the past several months:

• Economist first Executive MBA (EMBA) rankings released July 24, 2013: ranked the UCLA – NUS Program 3 globally, and the EMBA program 13 globally (3rd in the US).

• Forbes Full-Time MBA ranking released October 9, 2013: ranked 13, up from 20 in 2011.

• Economist Full-Time MBA ranking released October 10, 2013: ranked 18 globally, up from 23 in 2012. Ranked 12 in the US, up from 15 in 2012.

• Financial Times EMBA released October 21, 2013: ranked 42 overall, down from 39 in 2012. Ranked 10 in the US, down from 9 in 2012.

• Financial Times also ranked UCLA – NUS Executive MBA (EMBA) released October 21, 2013: ranked 5 worldwide, same as the prior year.

• Bloomberg/Businessweek EMBA and FEMBA released November 7, 2013: FEMBA ranked 4, down from 2 in 2011. EMBA ranked 5, same as in 2011.

• Financial Times Global MBA released January 27, 2014: ranked 26 overall, down from 23 in 2013. Ranked 14 in the US, down from 13 in 2013.

• Expansion Magazine Global MBA released March 4, 2014: ranked 24, up from 26 last year, 15 in the US.

The outcomes of these surveys, as well as the cumulative trends across surveys conducted throughout the year, contribute to our understanding of how our programs are perceived by students, recruiters and peers.

We are especially focused on enhancing our students’ learning and development experiences, and continue to augment financial aid and introduce programmatic improvements based on feedback from our students, alumni, employers, program deans and staff, and our faculty. The many innovations we’ve instituted in course electives, specializations and career services are designed to address our students’ career interests and the requirements of the 21st century marketplace. We expect these to be reflected also in improved MBA rankings in the future.

I welcome your feedback, suggestions and comments. Please send them to me at: dean@anderson.ucla.edu

Dean Judy Olian

Judy D. Olian
Dean and John E. Anderson Chair in Management

mbauclaanderson wrote:
Attachment:
usnews_jpeg_20140224.jpg

Attachment:
ft_jpeg_20140224.jpg

Hello Applicants,

I am currently a student in one of UCLA Anderson's MBA programs. Deciding to attend UCLA Anderson was a terrible decision for me and I feel like if I had more accurate information, I would not have made this decision. In the next few weeks when all of you are making your decision, I want to be a resource for you so that you do not make the same mistake that I did. I will post about the rankings, administration, professors, culture, etc. Please stay tuned, and thank you for your patience.

1. UCLA Anderson is a school that is heading in the wrong direction
As you can see that after Dean Judy Olian was appointed in 2006, UCLA Anderson has continually done worse in the US News Rankings and according to the Financial Times fewer and fewer UCLA Anderson alumni are recommending their own school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
mbauclaanderson - good luck on your finals this week!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
coolguy314159 wrote:
mbauclaanderson - good luck on your finals this week!

Crazy idea here: What if mbauclaanderson is an Anderson waitlisted candidate who is trying to persuade admitted students to not get into Anderson so he could get a seat??? :twisted:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I really don't understand what is going on with my application. I submitted it in R2 and have heard nothing in terms of an interview invite or a ding, while admits are now going out. I don't see the point of stretching this out for applicants and would rather have received a ding by now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Quick invite to interview date vs. acceptance analysis:

I broke the list of 46 people who listed their invite to interview date among three groups of 15/15/16.

The early invites to interview were recorded on the website between 1/10-1/17. Of these first fifteen to post their invitation to interview, 11/15 have received acceptances.

For the middle time frame of invites to interview, the dates were between 1/21-2/2. Of these next fifteen to post their invitation to interview, only 2/15 have received acceptances. I'm in this group, but I'm on the early side.

Of the late time frame of invites to interview, the dates are 2/3-Current. I believe that some of these people listed their invites late because 4/16 have received acceptances.

My idea was that since I was one of the earliest people to receive an invite to interview that I should have already been notified of my acceptance (if I was to be accepted). What I found was 33% of people who received interview invites had been notified before me, and the other three people that found out on 1/21 or 1/22 have not been accepted yet.

Not sure if this is helpful because I haven't done the analysis of the benefits to being invited earlier. Yet, being in the first 50%, yet not being accepted yet, means that I still have a chance of being accepted to UCLA in Round 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
alybaba216 wrote:
I really don't understand what is going on with my application. I submitted it in R2 and have heard nothing in terms of an interview invite or a ding, while admits are now going out. I don't see the point of stretching this out for applicants and would rather have received a ding by now.

I agree. I'm on the same boat and this is frustrating. but on the plus side it means that I may still have hope.. haha

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Kudos
I wouldn't analyze the interview invites so closely. Honestly, we'll all know April 2nd- I got my invite very early and I'm still waiting but I remain hopeful I can get an admit to Anderson. Also GMAT Club provides a pretty skewed picture in my opinion of "actual" results for everyone haha, I think this site gets all the overachievers :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
EngineeringMBA wrote:
I think this site gets all the overachievers :P

Then I'm in the wrong forum. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Doesn't look good for me, most likely dinged as I was never interviewed. Congrats to all those admitted. I take my leave on this forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
The wait is frustrating. I interviewed about a month and a half ago and I haven't heard anything since.

Just gotta be patient. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts