Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [22]
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619074 [12]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [4]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: Does line P (not pictured) intersect line segment QR in the [#permalink]
Guys, I don't get it, for me it's D too. IF a m1=m2, the lines are parallel so NEVER INTERSECT, only overlap?? Or do I get the wording wrong??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Technically intersect means share one or more points in common. So, if two lines overlap they do intersect. Thus from (1) if line P contains line segment QR then they intersect but if line P is parallel to line segment QR, then they do not intersect, which means that the first statement is not sufficient.

Bunuel , having what you mentioned above ,Can we say that line laying on x axis , intersects with x axis ??
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619074 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
vipulgoel wrote:
Technically intersect means share one or more points in common. So, if two lines overlap they do intersect. Thus from (1) if line P contains line segment QR then they intersect but if line P is parallel to line segment QR, then they do not intersect, which means that the first statement is not sufficient.

Bunuel , having what you mentioned above ,Can we say that line laying on x axis , intersects with x axis ??

Technically, yes.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This is a great 'concept' question; if you recognize the concepts involved, then you don't actually have to do any math to get to the correct answer.

We're asked if a line P intersects with the line segment QR. This is a YES/NO question.

1) The slope of line P is -1.

This Fact tells us the slops of line P, but it doesn't tell us exactly where line P is located. Thus, it might intersect the line segment or not.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

(2) The equation of line P is y = -x + 4.

This Fact gives us the exact equation for line P, so we COULD graph it... and once we did, we'd know definitively whether line P intersected with the line segment or not (and there would be just one answer to the given question).
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This is a great 'concept' question; if you recognize the concepts involved, then you don't actually have to do any math to get to the correct answer.

We're asked if a line P intersects with the line segment QR. This is a YES/NO question.

This Fact tells us the slops of line P, but it doesn't tell us exactly where line P is located. Thus, it might intersect the line segment or not.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

(2) The equation of line P is y = -x + 4.

This Fact gives us the exact equation for line P, so we COULD graph it... and once we did, we'd know definitively whether line P intersected with the line segment or not (and there would be just one answer to the given question).
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

Rich

if PQ segment and the line have same slope, then they are parallel to each other.so how can they ever intersect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JAIN09,

From your message, I assume that you're questioning the definition of "intersect." A typical example would be two lines that are perpendicular to each other; they WILL intersect at exactly ONE point. In this question though, with the line segment that's in the drawing - and the equation that we're given in Fact 2 - there are actually MULTIPLE points of intersection since the line falls exactly "on top" of the line segment. In that way, the two lines DO intersect (just not in the way that you're used to thinking about the concept). This is ultimately why Fact 2 is sufficient (the line and the line segment DO share several common intersect points).

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
joylive wrote:

Does line P (not pictured) intersect line segment QR in the coordinate plane shown above?

(1) The slope of line P is –1.

(2) The equation of line P is y = –x + 4.

Me personally thinks the answer should be D, but OA differs, as usual. Can someone help please?

Hallo,

To me, the answer is D. But unfortunately I did not understand why the answer is B, though I have read the above explanations.
Would anyone draw graph to make clear understanding why A is not correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Rashed12,

I think that you can properly prove that Fact 1 is insufficient if you are comfortable drawing a couple working through a few steps:

1) Draw a graph and line segment QR (the pictured segment).
2) Draw ANY line with a slope of -1. You can put that line wherever you want. Does your line cross the given line segment? Most lines you could create would not (and it's likely that the first line you would draw would not intersect the segment).
3) Can you draw a different line (also with a slope of -1) that would intersect line segment QR? Where would you have to put it?

Thus, the line described in Fact 1 might intersect line segment QR, but it might not.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
unceldolan wrote:
Guys, I don't get it, for me it's D too. IF a m1=m2, the lines are parallel so NEVER INTERSECT, only overlap?? Or do I get the wording wrong??

Having said that, I must add that GMAT would never test you on such technicalities, so the question is poor and one can ignore it and move on.

Hope it help.s

Posted from my mobile device[/size

Hi Bunuel please advise on my approach only case where two lines will not intersect is if they are parallel i.e when they have same slope slope of QR = 3-2/1-2= -1

Y= -x+4 here slope m=-1 hence they will not intersect

And statement b states that slope of s is -1 then who option d is not correct

[size=80]Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
puneetfitness wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
unceldolan wrote:

Having said that, I must add that GMAT would never test you on such technicalities, so the question is poor and one can ignore it and move on.

Hope it help.s

Posted from my mobile device[/size

Hi Bunuel please advise on my approach only case where two lines will not intersect is if they are parallel i.e when they have same slope slope of QR = 3-2/1-2= -1

Y= -x+4 here slope m=-1 hence they will not intersect

And statement b states that slope of s is -1 then who option d is not correct

[size=80]Posted from my mobile device

Hi puneetfitness,

We're asked if a line P intersects with the line segment QR (which appears at a specific point on the graph and has a slope of -1). This is a YES/NO question.

This Fact tells us the slops of line P, but it doesn't tell us exactly where line P is located. Thus, it might intersect the line segment (by lying right "on top" of segment QR) or not.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Does line S intersect line segment QR? (1) The equation of [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Does line S intersect line segment QR? (1) The equation of [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts