Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [34]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [4]
Send PM
Point Q lies in the interior of a particular circle. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhisheknandy08 wrote:
Hi Bunuel ,

I got the option one .

But for option 2 i am confused .
(2) At least two different diameters of the circle contain point Q . At least two different diameter means the diameter of different length . Then how come point Q becomes the center of the circle . Please explain . if possible by diagram . Thanks

The diameter of a circle is the length of the line through the center and touching two points on its edge. The lengths of all possible diameters are the same and different diameters cross each other at the center.

So, if two different diameters have one point in common, then it must be the center.

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 2.38 KiB | Viewed 15613 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
Re: Point Q lies in the interior of a particular circle. [#permalink]
Just wanted to understand - if statement 1 said there exist 2 points instead of 3, this statement would be insufficient right? I am just thinking logically, there can be 2 lines drawn from any point which would be equal ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Neeraj91 wrote:
Just wanted to understand - if statement 1 said there exist 2 points instead of 3, this statement would be insufficient right? I am just thinking logically, there can be 2 lines drawn from any point which would be equal ?

Yes you are right. It has to be equidistant from at least three points.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Point Q lies in the interior of a particular circle. [#permalink]
Kudos
My approach to the problem.

(1) If there are 3 points which lie on the circle's circumference then it must be true that Q is the center of the circle.
Lets test a case in which Q is NOT the center of the circle.

If Q is NOT the center of the circle, located ANYWHERE inside the circle, we CAN draw another circle inside this one in which Q is the center as you can see below.
In this case the new circle can only be tangent at ONE point of the bigger circle's circumference -or even not be tangent at all- , making it IMPOSSIBLE for other points to be equidistant from the center of the new circle to the big circle's circumference.

(2) Every pair of diameters of the circle intersect at only one point inside the circle. The center of the circle.
Attachments

.png
.png [ 2.79 KiB | Viewed 12088 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Prompt analysis
Point Q lies inside the circle.

Super set
The answer could be either YES or NO
Translation
We need other information such that we can answer the question based on the property of the circle

Statement analysis
St 1: 3 non collinear points will be equidistant from only one point. If a circle passes through 3 non collinear points,, then the 4 fourth point which will be equidistant from those 3 points will be the centre of the circle.Hence option b,c and e eliminated.

St 2: two diameters intersect at the centre.if the intersection point is q, therefore q is the centre.

Hence option D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
WoundedTiger wrote:
Point Q lies in the interior of a particular circle. Is point Q the center of the circle?

(1) There exist points A, B, and C, all distinct points on the circle’s circumference, such that the distances QA, QB, and QC are identical.

(2) At least two different diameters of the circle contain point Q.

Statement 1: An infinite number of points can be equidistant from two points on a circle, but only the center of a circle can be equidistance from more than 2 points. So Q must be the center.

Statement 2: Diameters must pass through the center and they only intersect at the center, so Q must be the center of the circle if two diameters converge there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
I have doubt in the statement 2, It says that the point Q is at least on the 2 diameters , so point Q can be on the diameter also. So its not that Q is the center of the circle. Kindly correct me . I know my concept is somewhere incorrect
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
I have doubt in the statement 2, It says that the point Q is at least on the 2 diameters , so point Q can be on the diameter also. So its not that Q is the center of the circle. Kindly correct me . I know my concept is somewhere incorrect

What do you mean by the highlighted part?

Two diameters intersect only at one point, at the centre. If Q is on two diameters then it must be the centre. Please re-read the following posts:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/point-q-lies ... l#p1382846
https://gmatclub.com/forum/point-q-lies ... l#p1571862

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
WoundedTiger wrote:
Point Q lies in the interior of a particular circle. Is point Q the center of the circle?

(1) There exist points A, B, and C, all distinct points on the circle’s circumference, such that the distances QA, QB, and QC are identical.

Statement 1

This scenario only holds true if each of the lines are equidistant, which can only occur if they branch out from the center of the circle

Statement 2

Bunuel if two lines are not parallel then they intersect right? And in this scenario the lines must clearly intersect at the center?

D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nunuboy1994 wrote:
WoundedTiger wrote:

Statement 1

This scenario only holds true if each of the lines are equidistant, which can only occur if they branch out from the center of the circle

Statement 2

Bunuel if two lines are not parallel then they intersect right? And in this scenario the lines must clearly intersect at the center?

D

Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(1) There exist points A, B, and C, all distinct points on the circle’s circumference, such that the distances QA, QB, and QC are identical. Only the center is equidistant from more than two points on the circumference. Hence Q must be the center. Sufficient.

(2) At least two different diameters of the circle contain point Q. Two diameters intersect at the center, hence Q must be the center. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunuel,

I chose B, because Q can be equidistant to A, B and C if we draw another circle tangent to the original circle.

Please help

Thanks
Harsh
Attachments

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-27 at 16.14.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-27 at 16.14.52.jpeg [ 51.77 KiB | Viewed 5248 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619208 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harsh9676 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) There exist points A, B, and C, all distinct points on the circle’s circumference, such that the distances QA, QB, and QC are identical. Only the center is equidistant from more than two points on the circumference. Hence Q must be the center. Sufficient.

(2) At least two different diameters of the circle contain point Q. Two diameters intersect at the center, hence Q must be the center. Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I chose B, because Q can be equidistant to A, B and C if we draw another circle tangent to the original circle.

Please help

Thanks
Harsh

We are told that A, B, and C are on the circumference of the circle. In your example, A, B, and C cannot simultaneously be on the circumferences of two different circles, because they would have different curvature.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Harsh9676 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Please help

Thanks
Harsh

We are told that A, B, and C are on the circumference of the circle. In your example, A, B, and C cannot simultaneously be on the circumferences of two different circles, because they would have different curvature.

Bunuel, can you elaborate please? My thought process was the same as Harsh's. As far as we are concerned there is only ONE circle, so what's wrong with Harsh sketch? Let's suppose he drew another circle just to prove a point. We can erase the inner circle he drew and keep the points as they are. Doesn't it prove that statement insufficient?

Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92947 posts