Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
damamikus wrote:
Hey carcass!

Could you elaborate on question 6 please? Although I realize (after reading the explanation) that the problem in this question is the scope shift from # of entries to 'Regularity' of entries (how consecutively you enter - as in an evenly spaced set :D ), i don't seem to understand why answer D is correct because it simply restates the conclusion. How can a conclusion be an argument's assumption?

Thanks in advance! :)

Max

A recent report determined that although only eight percent of drivers entering Banff National Park possessed yearly entry permits, as opposed to day passes, these drivers represented fifteen percent of all vehicles entering the Park. Clearly, drivers who possess yearly entry permits are more likely to enter Banff National Park on a regular basis than are drivers who do not.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The number of entries to Banff National Park by drivers with yearly entry permits does not exceed the number of yearly entry permits issued by the Park.

B) Drivers who possess yearly entry permits to Banff National Park are more likely to stay longer in the Park than drivers who do not.

C) All drivers with yearly entry permits to Banff National Park entered the Park at least once during the period of the report.

D) Drivers possessing yearly entry permits to Banff National Park are more likely to enter the Park regularly than are drivers who do not.

E) Drivers who entered Banff National Park with yearly permits during the period of the report were representative of the types of drivers who have entered other national parks with similar yearly permits.

TIPS

Something that is not mentioned in the facts but mentioned in the conclusion has to be mentioned in the assumption. Also, a connection (BRIDGE/LINK) between X and Y should occur in the assumption

Something that is mentioned both in the facts and in the conclusion will usually not figure in the assumption

Ask if something remains unclear ;)

Hi,
I still have a doubt in this question. I am not completely satisfied as to how an assumption can be just a restatement of the conclusion. Though if we have a closer look at option (c), I find it more appealing. I think option (c) is talking about the sample surveyed I.e. it is telling us that the sample for the report is representative.
If all the drivers with yearly entry permits were there at least once then we can say that the report might be true. If we negate this statement and say that all the drivers were not present during the period of report, them we cannot truly say that the eight percent of drivers entering the park possessing yearly entry permits is an accurate no.
Though, I agree that since there is no mention of regularity elsewhere in the passage, then assumption must have it, but I am not satisfied with the option which is a direct restatement of the conclusion. Rather, negation can somehow help in deducing option (c).
Please correct me wherever I am wrong.
Thanks in advance. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi carcass,
Could you please q 7 again?
I am confused between options (c) and (e).
The explanation for option (c) that you have given is that any misassessments may prove meet positive or net negative or may have a counter-balancing effect. I didn't get this point. In any case, of one of them has incorrectly assessed, then we can explain the contradiction. For instance, Steve incorrectly assessed his friends add irritable, then we can say that John might be right and red haired people might be docile.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Ok :)

Trying to analyze the questions. First one the sixth

Quote:
A recent report determined that although only eight percent of drivers entering Banff National Park possessed yearly entry permits, as opposed to day passes, these drivers represented fifteen percent of all vehicles entering the Park. Clearly, drivers who possess yearly entry permits are more likely to enter Banff National Park on a regular basis than are drivers who do not.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The number of entries to Banff National Park by drivers with yearly entry permits does not exceed the number of yearly entry permits issued by the Park.

B) Drivers who possess yearly entry permits to Banff National Park are more likely to stay longer in the Park than drivers who do not.

C) All drivers with yearly entry permits to Banff National Park entered the Park at least once during the period of the report.

D) Drivers possessing yearly entry permits to Banff National Park are more likely to enter the Park regularly than are drivers who do not.

E) Drivers who entered Banff National Park with yearly permits during the period of the report were representative of the types of drivers who have entered other national parks with similar yearly permits.

From a logic standing point we do know that 8% of those who enter the parlk have a yearly pass and that at the same time they are 50% of all entries. So from this we can infer that in proportion the are the majority of all entries. 8 people out of 16 have a yearly pass VS 8 people who could have a daily, weekly, monthly, semestral pass...we do not know. So the logic here leads me to think what: 8 people enter to visit the park on a regaular basis, more than what the other 8 people do. So, they have an entry at least once

The other options are not rerlated to this logic and to our argument conclusion. Now I hope is more clear. Aside the various strategy you can use to solve asusmption question, one among the others is always effective: must be true for the conslusion of the argument.

Now the 7th

Quote:
Steve: Rick and Harriet, two of my red-haired friends, are irritable. It seems true that red-haired people have bad tempers.

John: That’s ridiculous. Red-haired people are actually quite docile. Jeff, Muriel, and Betsy — three of my red-haired friends — all have placid demeanors.

Which of the statements below provides the most likely explanation for the two seemingly contradictory statements above?

A) The number of red-haired people whom Steve knows may be different from the number of red-haired people whom John knows.

B) The number of red-haired people whom both Steve and John know may not be greater in total than the number of non-red-haired people whom both Steve and John know.

C) It is likely that Steve or John has incorrectly assessed the temperament of one or more of his red-haired friends.

D) It is likely that both Steve and John have friends who are not red-haired and yet also have bad tempers.

E) The examples that Steve uses and the examples that John uses to support their conclusions are likely both valid.

C says

Quote:
s. It is also unclear whether choice C has any effect. Any mis-assessments may prove net positive or net negative or may have a counter-balancing effect.

Do not get intimitaded by the wording even of the explanation. It says, eventually: any evaluation could be pro steve or pro John or if pro john there could be something that disprove this (so go in favour of steve) or if is pro steve there could be something that goes in favour of john (a counter balance). In this scanario what do you think ?? basically what C says: is unclear which is which: who is right ?' who is wrong ?? and who is right or wrong maybe is disavowed.......

The only plausible option is E: both are right or could be right. We have not enough information to decide where the pendulum falls.

Infact E says: The examples that Steve uses and the examples that John uses to support their conclusions are likely both valid...........LIKELY

Hope is clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.39
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I set up a new question bank from various sources.

Here you can find 35 new questions with explanations. I have tried to put in as much as possible Gmat-like questions. Quality over quantity

I hope this helps you in your preparation. Please, if you have doubts then you can post the question along the answer choices in this same topic

Please give kudos; they are the best way to say thank you

regards

Very good consolidation carcass. Much appreciated. :)

Thanks
Ankit Gupta
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Carcass,

What is the source of these questions?
Is it from MGMAT exams or GMAT Prep software?

I am yet to give those exams so just wanted to confirm.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
chetan86 wrote:
Hi Carcass,

What is the source of these questions?
Is it from MGMAT exams or GMAT Prep software?

I am yet to give those exams so just wanted to confirm.

Neither.

They come from my collection but are gmat-like questions. one by one ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
carcass wrote:
Neither.

They come from my collection but are gmat-like questions. one by one ;)

Thanks Carcass for the collection.
It will definitely help to improve verbal score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Quality over quantity. Agreed!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If somebody can please help me how to solve the questions based on analogy type arguments.
The 3rd question in question bank, i could not understand the explanation.

3) In order to understand the dangers of the current real-estate bubble in Country Y, one has only to look to the real estate bubble of the last decade in Country Z. In that country, incautious investors used the inflated value of their real estate as collateral in risky margin loans. When the real-estate market collapsed, many investors went bankrupt, creating a major recession. Country Y is in real danger of a similar recession if more-stringent laws restricting margin loans are not enacted promptly.
The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the author’s claims?
A) Was the real estate in Country Z located principally in rural areas or was it located in more urban communities?
B) Could the bankruptcies in Country Z have been prevented by a private bailout plan by the nation’s banks?
C) Does Country Y currently have any laws on its books regarding margin loans?
D) Are there business ties and connections between Country Y and Country Z?
E) Were there other factors in the case of Country Y that would make the comparison with Country Z less meaningful?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi All, Can someone help me to understand why OA is A.
Q-26

Despite all the science and massive budgets involved in modern sports, many sportsmen and women at all levels of sport swear by superstitions or elaborate event rituals to enhance their game. Irrational as it may sound, these superstitions clearly boost performance because almost all the top sportspersons across the world have some superstition or the other that they always adhere to. Which of the following would most help evaluate the conclusion that superstition clearly helps sportspersons?

A) Whether sportspersons who are not as successful also have superstitions
B) Whether there is empirical proof that superstition boosts the performance of sportspersons
C) Whether sportsperson who don’t have any superstitions are also as successful as the ones who do
D) Whether superstition helps boost an individual’s self belief dramatically
E) Whether all successful sportspersons across the world have some superstition
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Looks good. Cant wait to go home,download and get my hands dirty
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I must admit that I am still stumped on question 6. I find the option D simply a restatement of the conclusion. Is it just a wordplay between - Enter on a regular basis vs enter regularly ? But then how is the "scope-shift" mentioned in the solution happening.
Board of Directors
Send PM
himanshujovi wrote:
I must admit that I am still stumped on question 6. I find the option D simply a restatement of the conclusion. Is it just a wordplay between - Enter on a regular basis vs enter regularly ? But then how is the "scope-shift" mentioned in the solution happening.

I agree totally with you from a semantic standing poin: regular basis and reguraly are the same.

But in this scenario accordingly with the explanation

Quote:
Case in point: a driver with a yearly pass might enter the Park ten times a month but do so at the
beginning and end of the month only, or even with multiple frequency on given days. Such “concentrated entries” would
not constitute regular entries — “more” does not necessarily mean “more regularly

and this is ound for me. ww do not have enough information to establish how the event are unfolding. Instead reguraly you certaly know that the entries are evenly spaced.

This is my opinion. Even if you do not stress to much on this subtle nuance D certainly is the best answer even doing POE

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree carcass that D by PoE was turning out to be the most "relatable" to what is being asked and probably C being the second closest. My concern is that I am under the impression that in these kind of CR questions, whatever fact/conclusion is stated in the question can not be taken as the assumption. So in view of this understanding can we opt for D ?

Any idea on the source of this question ? At what difficulty level can this question come in GMAT ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Quote:
1) Something that is not mentioned in the facts but mentioned in the conclusion has to be mentioned in the assumption. Also, a connection (BRIDGE/LINK) between X and Y should occur in the assumption

2) Something that is mentioned both in the facts and in the conclusion will usually not figure in the assumption

The questions come from my own collection, so do not worry of the source or difficulty :roll:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So can we take the fact/conclusion as assumption ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Something that is not mentioned in the facts but is mentioned in the conclusion MUST in somewhat be present in the assumption. Otherwise is impossible for the assumption being the bridge between the facts and the conclusion and the assumption MUST be tru for our conclusion

Facts + Assumptions = Conclusion

Something that is mentioned both in the facts and in the conclusion will usually not figure in the assumption. NOT figure in the assumption means that the assumption does not resemble in somehow words or other facts already in there BUT say something completely different BUT that AT THE SAME time is always a bridge

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HU47-gGyFdE[/youtube]

Hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts