Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6814 [204]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [16]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

(A) years as a result of the removal of Correct answer, no errors in this.

(B) years as a result of removing "removing" (verb) is not parallel to "the clearing" (gerund). Eliminate.

(C) years, resulting from the removing of This is a very tricky option. At first glance there doesn't seem to be any grammatical error in this, and there isn't. However, couple of things raise doubt in my mind. Firstly, I have never seen "resulting from" used as an adverbial modifier modifying a clause. It is often used to modify a noun, though. Secondly, if we do consider it to be an adjective (modifying "the rabbit population"), it does not make sense, since the the rabbit population itself does not result from anything (in this sentence). Therefore, even though we do not have a clear reason for eliminating this option, we still should given these doubts and the fact that option (A) is so much cleaner and without any errors. Eliminate.

(D) years, which is result of removing Same error as in (B). Also, "which" incorrectly modifies "years". Eliminate.

(E) years, which is a result of the removal of "which" incorrectly modifies "years". Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sondenso wrote:
The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

(A) years as a result of the removal of
(B) years as a result of removing
(C) years, resulting from the removing of
(D) years, which is result of removing
(E) years, which is a result of the removal of

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County has increased unchecked in recent years because of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Parallelism

• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.
• The introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “resulting” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.
• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

A: Correct. This answer choice avoids the modifier errors seen in Options C, D, and E through its use of the phrase “as a result of”; the construction of this phrase correctly conveys that the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County has increased unchecked in recent years, and this increase is the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands. Further, Option A maintains parallelism between “the removal of the native fox population” and “the clearing of surrounding woodlands”.

B: The sentence formed by this answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “removing the native fox population” and “the clearing of surrounding woodlands”; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “resulting from the removing of”; the use of the “comma + present participle (“verb+ing” – “resulting” in this sentence) incorrectly implies that the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County has increased unchecked in recent years because the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County is the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; the intended meaning is that the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County has increased unchecked in recent years, and this increase is the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “resulting” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

D: This answer choice incorrectly modifies “recent years” with “which is result of instituting”, illogically implying that the recent years are the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; the intended meaning is that the increase in the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County is the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma. Further, the sentence formed by Option D fails to maintain parallelism between “removing the native fox population” and “the clearing of surrounding woodlands”; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“and” in this sentence) must be parallel.

E: This answer choice incorrectly modifies “recent years” with “which is a result of the removal”, illogically implying that the recent years are the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; the intended meaning is that the increase in the cottontail rabbit population in Orange County is the result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the use of "Which, Who, Whose, and Where" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6049 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
D and E are str8 out... Can someone explain A,B and C

I picked A but want to know why the other options are incorrect. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4892 [11]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
fozzzy wrote:
D and E are str8 out... Can someone explain A,B and C

I picked A but want to know why the other options are incorrect. Thanks!

A. years as a result of the removal of
B. years as a result of removing
C. years, resulting from the removing of

First I would talk about C. You can eliminate it because the ING verb after the comma must make sense with the subject of the preceding clause.
"The cottontail rabbit population" "resulting from the removing" does not make sense. So C is out.

Between A and B, A is better simply because is parallel to the next part:
"years as a result of the removal of" and "clearing of".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [4]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A because of parallelism b/w removal and the clearing here the clearing is a complex gerund and removal an action noun.

-- In general only a action noun or a complex gerund can be parallel to an action noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kindly help me since i am still confused with C .

C does not sound right i know but i need a definite reason to eliminate C as an answer.

"The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent"..

Usage of verb-ing modifier after the clause ...
a) Describe the clause
Sentence talks about the cotton rabbit population to be increased and how this was done was due to removal of the fox population ..

b) Presents the result of the clause
Here it does not present any result of the clause ...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [5]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shelrod007 wrote:
Kindly help me since i am still confused with C .

C does not sound right i know but i need a definite reason to eliminate C as an answer.

"The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent"..

Usage of verb-ing modifier after the clause ...
a) Describe the clause
Sentence talks about the cotton rabbit population to be increased and how this was done was due to removal of the fox population ..

b) Presents the result of the clause
Here it does not present any result of the clause ...

A] The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years {Result} as a result of the removal of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands (Cause}

C] The cottontail rabbit population in Orange County, California, has increased unchecked in recent years {Cause} , resulting from the removing of the native fox population and the clearing of surrounding woodlands {Result}

C is logically incorrect since it reverses the intended cause-effect relationship
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2698 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos

A. years as a result of the removal of --> Correct. Action noun is parallel to the complex gerund.
B. years as a result of removing --> Simple gerund phrases are NEVER PARALLEL to complex gerund phrases (see MGMAT SC Guide)
C. years, resulting from the removing of --> Subject cottontail rabbit doesn't make sense with ING-Modifier (resulting) - the rabbit doesn't result from anything, rather the "increase" would be the right subject for the preceding clause.
D. years, which is result of removing --> Which cannot modify a clause
E. years, which is a result of the removal of --> Which cannot modify a clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HEC MiM "24
Send PM
egmat
In option C we have resulting after comma . Ing modifier after comma tells or explains how aspect too. I understand that in choice C from the removing of is not very clear and concise. however, if choice c is written like this "years,resulting from the removal of" , would this be correct ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos