Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 02:46 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 02:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  45   
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Reaching the Thirties: The Duke MBA, Best 2014 Business School
Is a happy day for the Duke MBA. Businessweek‘s full-time MBA ranking was released today, and Fuqua is #1!! Businessweek classifies schools using the following three criteria: how company recruiters rate MBA students in each school (45%), how graduating MBA students rate their own school (45%), and the research performed by the school’s faculty (10%). This is one of … Continue reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Winter is Coming to Duke
Undoubtedly, Durham is an amazing and beautiful place. Just this morning I took a picture at one of the paths that take you from the parking lot to school. You could see that winter is coming to Duke! Trees have a wide variety of colors including different shades of red, yellow, brown, pink, and green. And Duke … Continue reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Job Interview Season

It’s here.

Internship season.

The key is on searching and applying for the jobs that you feel confident working on, not doing something out of pressure. Rotman has been offering various prep sessions and resources for me to prepare. All that remains is to secure interviews and share your passion for it.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): Duke MBA Business Improv Course
A year ago when I was still a first year Fuqua MBA student, I saw "Business Improv" when registering for classes and had no idea how it may be useful, so I went back to preparing for my summer internship interviews. Fast forward to the end of the summer, and I was given feedback from my internship's final presentation that I needed to improve my speaking skills.
Continue reading »
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Short and long term career objectives
For my Cambridge essay I have to write down by short and long term career objectives as a part of the personal statement. Easy enough I said, done it all last year. Wrote the essay, gave it to my friends to comment. The end result: I need to go back to the drawing board on career objectives.

The long term

The short term I’m fairly clear on, but the long term. Well that hazy, really hazy. So in my month of searching I’ve had several ideas from running a successful regional theatre, fixing the next Detroit, fixing tescos to being a business school lecturer.

As all the long term ideas are a bit crazy, I’ve gone for the classic wanting to work for the World Bank when I’m older.

Skills needed in the future

The next challenge is that I also need to be clear what skills I have and what I need for my future career. To help with that I’ve gone the for classic of trawling through guardian jobs and Linkedin and to find out what skills Chief Executives need; if only more of those jobs were advertised with person specifications.

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Cambridge MBA application submitted
I submitted my Cambridge MBA application in on time. But do have to say I took a laziez faire approach to the whole submission thing. Even went to the cinema the night before for a movie preview. I have to say reapplying is just much easier, done most of the thinking and have a better understanding of the process.

The process

Overall the application form was easy to use and well laid out. Could only find one bug. Would only make one suggested improvement. Have the PDF preview button within the main application site. Who wants to press submit until they are ready?

Essays

There were more essays than they initially suggested. Instead of two I was expecting I ended up I writing closer to five. The career objectives essay was specially odd. Found it really difficult to write, took me seven drafts to get a story I was happy with. Even tried to get some hint and tips from the MBA consultants essay analysis; not convinced their approach was that useful with a 500 word count limit.

References

My reference is usually really good, and chasing needed. However had a look at Christmas Day and no submission or even opening of the link. Got a bit worried. Chased him on Monday and he said thanks the reminders, he just forgot to load it up. So people, do chase, send reminders to references, they don’t mind.

Conclusion

The Cambridge MBA tries to make the application straight forward. It’s something they have largely achieved.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: What Silicon Valley taught me
It’s been awhile! Sorry about the late post. I have been very busy and been working on a variety of things. Term 2 is a particularly busy season for many reasons:

1. Interviews, interviews, interviews

Your summer internship is at stake.

2. Rearrangement of thoughts

It’s a new year. Term 1 burned me out a bit. I needed time to recharge myself.

But I have some interesting news to share. I was at Silicon Valley last week as a part of the school technology career trek, thanks to Rotman. Now about SF, I actually lived in Palo Alto for 3 months, and did get to go to Golden Gate Bridge, but never had a chance to properly look around SF. In many ways, this was an exciting opportunity and rearrange all the personal thoughts and about my career.

Day 1

After arriving in SF, we Rotmanites gathered up and got on a bus tour of SF. As I never had a chance to try these kinds of buses before, it was awesome. Kinda chilly, but definitely worth it as well as the interesting audio guide, which was followed by meeting with alumnis for advices and networking.

Day 2

Our official day of the trek began with a tour of the famous Google.

Great campus although it might have been better if we visited during lunch time to see its liveliness.

Google is one thing, but of course there is Mozilla Firefox. Greeted by such kind people, we had a great Q/A session. What really got me was the top floor with a great view. It was a feeling hard to describe. So wide, so clean, so…well I am not sure how to describe it. as if it opened my mind up literally.

Day 3

Twitter, and various companies. It was all about meeting great new and old friends.

Day 4

After ending the tour with EA, I visited my old friend at Apple and had dinner together.

As you probably might have noticed, my blogs are more about photos with descriptive feelings and facts than a lot of implications or in-depth thoughts. It is because I enjoy capturing moments and not everything needs to have a meaning and purpose. You just accept it as is.

I was confused and worried in many ways before the trip.

School is one thing, but it’s ok it’s all about the effort. But there is also personal relationships, situations, careers, and motivation to worry about.

Ever since joining Rotman, I haven’t regretted a single moment of it as it already has provided me with so many opportunities so far that I could not attain before, but even with effort, some things are just difficult to work out and personal relationships are such things.

What visiting SF taught me was not just about new startups, or tech bubbles, or great tech companies I could be a part of and be rich. It made me realize that while I am meddled with such small details and think negatively about my small problems, there are people on the other side who are all also equally and working harder to achieve their goals and survive in their own ways. World is wide and there are tons of opportunities. It brought me out of comfort zone once more and now I am more than certain that the thoughts and emotions that I feel are just temporary, a milestone in order to improve and grow more.

While I don’t want to bore you out reading all these cliche about self-enlightenment, I do want to leave you with one takeaway.

When in doubt, travel.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Food of SF

FOODS ARE AWESOME

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Rotman Problem Solving Challenge 2015

EDIT: Deadline for submission for this year’s RPSC2015 has been passed. Good luck all the participants!

This year’s RPSC2015 is back!

It’s an event hosted by Rotman MBA to encourage both prospective and admitted students to be engaged, have fun, and also get to know more about Rotman. Especially if you are aiming to apply in later rounds, perhaps competing in this challenge can also help improve your applications (just my personal thoughts as I was a late applicant). I personally also competed, and it was an interesting experience.

https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/MastersPrograms/MBAPrograms/FullTimeMBA/GettingIn/AdmissionsEvents/ProblemSolvingChallenge.aspx

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Lego Workshop

LEGO workshop in LPO class. It was a good exercise to learn and feel about process improvement (aka lean six sigma) and how to communicate better.

Experiences, experiences, experiences.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): Duke MBA Insights: The Best Time to Get the MBA (Reader Request)
I've been getting quite a few questions from readers on when the best time to do the MBA is. Usually the question is around how much work experience would be competitive as an applicant. Some prospective students are concerned that they do not have as much work experience as others. If you look around, the Duke MBA and similar MBA programs usually have a median work experience of 5 years in their incoming class. Here's I'd like to offer my perspective as someone who only had 3 years of work experience prior to starting the MBA at Duke Fuqua.
Continue reading »
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
FROM Piyush Jain Everyday (UCLA): MBA Recruiting Season – Repost from FT
The same is reproduced on Financial Times MBA Blog – https://blogs.ft.com/mba-blog/2015/02/11/recruiting-season/

The winter quarter at UCLA Anderson brings On Campus Recruiting (OCR), changing the entire mood around the school. This year, a diverse set of companies started visiting, conducting internship interviews with first-year full-time MBA students. Happy hours were replaced with interview-practice team meetings and queues at the career management center seemed longer than those in food cafes.

The finance companies wrapped up their recruiting by the end of January, whereas the big tech and consulting firms are conducting subsequent rounds. Alums, career advisors and second-year coaches have been very helpful during the process, as is the internal database which helps students tap into a wealth of knowledge regarding interview questions and best practices.

What I learnt: Do not compare yourself to other candidates. Different industries have different recruiting cycles, so it is just a matter on time before you will land your desired internship. And remember – every failed interview is only practice towards cracking the job you really deserve.

Congratulations to all those who have secured their internship and good luck to everyone else.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Recruiting season
Back at school for the winter quarter, Piyush Jain sees the entire mood change as recruiters arrive to campus

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Tech trek
Having enjoyed the events from her first semester, Marta Szczerba helps to organise a student trip around New York's start-up scene

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Money matters
UK blogger Michael Wieder dedicates time to a venture capital competition and a talk on private equity

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
FROM Timbob: FIELD 2 – “International Immersion”
A core part of the Harvard Business School MBA curriculum is FIELD, divided into 3 distinct parts;

FIELD 1 – Leadership Intelligence: An introspective classroom based-program focused on self-awareness.

FIELD 2 – Global Intelligence: A global immersion program, with a team-based project in an emerging economy.

FIELD 3 – Integrative Intelligence: Groups of 6 MBA first years are tasked with launching a microbusiness within the semester.

I’m not sure how I feel about the module names (?!), but click here for more information about: HBS FIELD.

In each section of FIELD, the emphasis is on ability for practical ‘doing’ skills, rather than knowledge-based learning. I’ll admit I was intrigued by the experience prior to HBS, and while many programs now offer some sort of ‘experiential learning component’ the effort and resources put into it by HBS did make it one of the more unique programs.

Most of the top schools offer some form of experiential learning, but I found it quite unusual to a) have it scheduled as part of the formal curriculum and also b) what this enables is to work in a group with your fellow students rather than an individual experience.

Instead most other schools focus on student-driven/optional programs which while giving greater flexibility inevitably offers a different type of experience – if it happens at all – due to all the other great things that are competing for your attention.

FIELD 2 takes place in the first year, with preparation in Cambridge and a placement in between the two semesters. I’ve been fortunate enough to spend my time in Chengdu in China – not somewhere I was familiar with before my placement. While not a common tourist destination, it’s certainly somewhere interesting to visit from an academic point of view.

A Chengdu market street – fully immersed

The course places you in a small team of 6 MBA students, assigned a project from a local company in your placement city and given a week to propose a solution. A significant portion of the week is dedicated to understanding the local market, tastes and preferences, ensuring mutual benefit for both team and company.

It’s been a fascinating week, and I was really lucky to be working with a social enterprise in startup community, which completely challenged my own preconceptions of business in China. Working with them led to a very different type of learning from just a tourist trip/b-school trek.

I also feel pretty pleased to have completed a small project that really seemed to influence our hosts, and changed the way they were thinking about a problem. They were more than happy to stay in touch and promised to share the results, which we will hopefully get to see soon!

For this semester, we are now on to the next part of the FIELD program, FIELD 3…

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Juggling chainsaws
Brenden Sheehan, our newest blogger, introduces us to his MBA programme and what is required to perform successfully

Read more
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts