Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
I can say that I applied to Tuck just on the strength of the school alone, but didn't think I'd be comfortable there. That said, I went for my inteview/day on campus last week and had a great time. I am a Consortium applicant, and based on my initial thoughts I ranked the school relatively low on my list, but had I visited the campus before applying I definitely would've ranked Tuck within my top 2. Wish I could pinpoint something specific that changed my mind but I really can't. It just seemed like a very welcoming and fun place to be. I actually drove up there begrudgingly, but was glad I went after it was all said and done.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
JackSparr0w wrote:
I can say that I applied to Tuck just on the strength of the school alone, but didn't think I'd be comfortable there. That said, I went for my inteview/day on campus last week and had a great time. I am a Consortium applicant, and based on my initial thoughts I ranked the school relatively low on my list, but had I visited the campus before applying I definitely would've ranked Tuck within my top 2. Wish I could pinpoint something specific that changed my mind but I really can't. It just seemed like a very welcoming and fun place to be. I actually drove up there begrudgingly, but was glad I went after it was all said and done.

You should post this in the Consortium thread also. I think a few people can benefit from this in the future. Some people may have similar concerns.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Very true. I'll drop it there as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
i think simply not as many minorities (especially US minorities) dream of spending their 18-22 and/or late 20s in Hanover, NH if they have other "similar" options, and will not choose to apply/attend if admitted. generally an issue with young faculty (early 30s) as well. i don't think it's for their lack of trying. even as an overrepresented minority, i received a lot of outreach from Dartmouth when applying to colleges back in high school, and even then i had almost zero interest in attending. and i do not believe that Tuck would not be in step with the College in this regard.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Team-Building, Networking, & Strategy: IPADE Case Competition

By Edward Harding T'16

Ed Harding is a first-year student at Tuck. He graduated with first class honours from Oxford University, and has spent the last three years working in strategy consulting, advising financial services clients in Europe, South America, and the US. He enjoys playing rugby, rock climbing and hiking, and recently became the co-chair of the Tuck Rowing Club.

As an Englishman, studying at Tuck has been an adventure: I left my home to immerse myself in small town college life in America, and have enjoyed hiking in the mountains and enjoying the peaceful woodlands—even as the temperatures dropped below zero. Last week, however, I left behind the snows of New England and headed down to Mexico City—where it was 40 degrees warmer, and with a lot more traffic on the roads—to take part in the annual IPADE business school case competition. The journey down may have taken more than 12 hours, but the four days we spent in Mexico were worth the effort.

Tuck is one of seven top business schools that is invited to this competition (three from the USA, one from Argentina, one from Canada, one from China, and IPADE itself). The competition takes place at one of the most prestigious business school’s in Latin America, IPADE, which is truly a beautiful school, located in a converted 17th century hacienda. It is comprised of several buildings built around cobbled courtyards, interspersed with lush green manicured gardens.

The competition itself is a little bit unusual. Rather than sending a full team to compete, each school sends two students (Erin Wall T'15 and I represented Tuck). The teams are then randomly selected on the day of the competition: this means that you end up working with a group of strangers, from different cultural backgrounds, and need to work together to crack the case.

The school held an official opening ceremony on Thursday evening, followed by a cocktail party held on a large balcony overlooking the gardens. The school’s president, and the two sponsors of the competition, pharmaceutical firm Novatis and professional services firm Deloitte, addressed the audience and announced the teams. We then retired to the hotel to rest up before the big day.

The details of the case were announced at 9:00 a.m. on Friday. We had until 9:00 a.m. the next day to digest the information we’d been given and present our proposals. The case this year was about the bourbon company Maker’s Mark. We had to determine a strategy and production schedule for the company, given several competitive pressures, such as the rise of craft distilleries and younger demographics becoming interested in whiskey via ‘flavored’ brands.

My team was comprised of myself, and four Mexican students. We worked hard through the day to build out a clear strategic vision, a financial model on which to base our recommendations, and a slide deck to present the next day. We went to bed just after midnight. The next day, each team presented their recommendations to the panel of judges. While my team didn’t win, it was a great experience to be able to present to senior management from the two sponsor companies. That evening, our hosts showed us some true Mexican hospitality, as they invited us to an all-school party in the high-end Polanco district, where we unwound after the previous day’s hard work. The next morning, we had a delicious traditional Mexican buffet breakfast before heading to the airport.

It was a whirlwind experience but one I will remember for a long time. It was my first time in Mexico, and a chance to really test my team-building skills. It was also a great networking opportunity—I will be keeping in touch with many of the people I met over the course of the competition, and I’m looking forward to April, when the IPADE soccer team (including many of the competition’s participants) will be venturing up to New Hampshire for Tuck’s annual World Cup competition.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: The Stories We May Have Missed

By Remi Evans T’16

Remi Evans T’16 grew up in Colorado, loves endurance sports, and can often be found exploring the outdoors. She graduated from Trinity College in 2011 as a neuroscience major, spent the past few years as an investment banker in NYC with Citigroup, Inc., and is now immensely happy to be a member of the Tuck community.

During my Tuck orientation, I found myself sitting outside in the midst of a group dinner composed of fellow new students. This was my first interaction with the majority of my group, so I was curious what would be discussed. As time passed, the conversation grew comfortable, and suddenly, I found myself listening to a classmate speak of his struggles in coming from South America to Tuck. It was a very personal, deep, and heart wrenching story, and I was both incredibly happy that he had shared it with me, and sad that others would likely never hear his unique story.

As a global community, we have a diversity of stories and perspectives, and yet somehow we have all arrived at the same place: Tuck. Unfortunately, in an environment where everyone is incredibly busy, the depth to which we know the people around us can vary drastically. Yet, so much of what is important to our two years at Tuck, and those that follow, are the individuals around us and the depth of experiences and knowledge they possess.

Luckily, two incredible classmates in the class above me, John Wheelock T’15 and Pasy Govindarajan T’15, had spent their first year at Tuck also thinking about the value of shared experiences and ways in which these stories could be heard. Together, we created Tuck Talks, an evening for sharing stories and a powerful opportunity for the Tuck community to meet and take the time to learn about each other.  Each session of Tuck Talks features a small group of students and professors who each speak for ten minutes about something they are passionate about, thereby sharing to a greater degree who they are.  By providing “Talkers” with the freedom to speak about their passions, but asking that their stories ultimately have a “take away,” audience members are able to learn from the Talkers’ genuine, honest stories and walk away from the evening with lifelong lessons and new perspectives.

In one evening, audience members may hear about the lessons learned from sitting down for a meal together at the kitchen table, or the power of living fully in the moment as taught through the lens of fatherhood, or how taking the time to tell others that they are doing a great job can transform a rock band from playing to an empty bar room to playing for the masses. When the night ends, we hope to have generated new connections, sparked conversation, and fostered a stronger sense of community.

Talkers in the winter term included Charles Christianson T’15, Professor Vijay Govindarajan, Jacob Johnson T’15, Michael Mirandi T’15, Lyusha Goldberger T’15, Ian Bomberg T’15, and myself.

Tuck Talks … what stories will you hear and share?

(Photo above, from left: Professor Vijay Govindarajan, Dean Stocken, Michael Mirandi T’15, Charles Christianson T’15, Lyusha Goldberger T’15, Jacob Johnson T’15, Remi Evans T’16, Ian Bomberg T’15, Pasy Govindarajan T’15, John Wheelock T’15, Jay Boren T’16)
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Leadership, Love, Camaraderie: The Tuck Band

By Lindsey Windham T'15

Lindsey came to Tuck after spending five years as a teacher and director at a Texas-based charter school system. She has used her time at Tuck to transition into retail and technology, and will be working and playing in Seattle after graduation—at Amazon.com. Lindsey has a BA in public policy from Vanderbilt University.

The lights are bright, the pressure is building, and the excitement is palpable. A nervousness about saying the wrong thing flutters up into my throat, but I know we have prepared ad nauseam and are ready for this moment. Hundreds of other MBAs have descended upon Hanover for this event, and they’re all expecting something great from us. I look out into the crowd and all I can see is …

NEON.

No, we don’t require neon at the Dartmouth Ventures or Women in Business Conference. But we DO ask people to don the hottest pink, yellow, green, and orange they have for Tuck Winter Carnival, a historic and epic ski-themed weekend! The Tuck Band was about to perform live—for 700 screaming people.

The Tuck Band. Or, the T’15 Band. Or, “That Tuck Band” as some venues have referred to us … is a group of musicians and singers—all T’15s—who are passionate about music and performing, especially for audiences chock full of our best friends at Tuck! 

So, now that you’re dying to be in a band of your own, (or dying to be in the next Tuck band), we should talk about how to get there. What does it take to be in a cover band as successful and outrageously fun as ours?  A little bit of the following:

• Leadership: Our band is super collaborative, and my bandmates have played critical leadership roles at different points over the lifetime of our band. Their leadership was never about a title, but was about serving the band, modeling enthusiasm, putting structure around band operations, and setting clear expectations.
  • Commitment: My bandmates have taught me how important it is to be at every rehearsal ready to go and ready to have fun. There have absolutely been times when I’ve had to
    recommit to the band in a new way. Without the investment of every member, it doesn’t work.
  • An Anything-is-Possible Mindset: Keeping our audience central has meant doing things that seem impossible. Recently, we decided to be ambitious and ask our instrumentalists to learn some synth-y pop songs.  Unsure of the feasibility of this, Alison scoured the internet for YouTube arrangements that would work for them, and they were willing to try to pull it together. Because we all suspended disbelief and went for it, we had some incredible pop rock songs in our last set that (we think) the crowd loved! 
  • Outrageous costumes: We have been jungle cats, dinosaurs, white tigers, 80s workout dancers, Coachella festival-goers, and MORE. What will we wear next?!
  • Bandmate give, take, love, camaraderie: Our bond is forged through blood shed on electric guitar frets, waiting to go on in green rooms, compromising on set lists, backing each other up when one singer is having a raspy day, giving and receiving feedback, and being honest about pretty much everything. When something is wrong, we talk about it and move forward. When something changes, we pivot in the moment. When something is awesome, we celebrate it with selfies and toasts. And then we crush it on stage!

Tuck has created a space for me to be my most authentic self—at work and at play—and being in the Tuck band is just one part of that. The joy, release, and excitement of music, of sharing it with people I love, of pushing myself to be a better performer and singer has been a huge and amazing part of my student experience here.

And, based on the list above, I would suggest there is also something to learn about strong, healthy teams—professional or otherwise—from the way our band operates. Be open minded. Receive feedback gracefully. Keep commitments. Communicate honestly. Be the leader when a leader is needed. Support your team. And, for the love, when the situation calls for it, wear a full-body white tiger suit. 

I have learned more about business, music, and life from this group than I ever thought possible, and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to make music with them.

... BAND!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
greerwest wrote:
Is it me or is Tuck just the whitest school out there? I know bschools have issues with diversity and what not but Tuck seems to be the worst. In all of there marketing and admissions literature it seems that URMs are not represented. As an urm I would not feel comfortable at Tuck.

It's quite sad that you feel you wouldn't be comfortable at Tuck because it is "the whitest school out there". And quite frankly, your comments are disrespectful to the efforts of the administration, current students, and alumni of Tuck. And personally, I, as someone who may attend, wouldn't want someone as close-minded as you to be my classmate. Best of luck in your applications.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Tips for Consulting Recruiting from a First-Year Tuckie

By Zhe (Hardy) Huang T'16 

Hardy was born, raised and educated in China. Prior to Tuck, he worked with the management consulting arm of PricewaterhouseCoopers, based out of Shanghai. Since coming to Tuck, he has fallen in love with skiing and thinks Tuck is a great place to be.

*Note: Tuck will be hosting a live "Ask Me Anything" chat with Tuck Career Development Office Director Jonathan Masland on Wednesday, March 4, from 12-1 p.m. EST on Facebook. Bring your jobs-related questions!

During the past recruiting season, I was humbled to receive offers from both McKinsey and BCG Shanghai, and decided to accept McKinsey’s offer for my summer internship. I know this wouldn’t have been possible without Tuck.

You can prepare for your consulting interviews anytime.

I received this great advice from a second-year student. Consulting interviews, to a large extent, are a chance to demonstrate how you think about business problems. You can practice your technical skills through lots of casing, but you should leverage opportunities in class and in real life.

Take the AGM (Analysis for General Managers, our Fall core class) for example. Every time I analyze a case, I try to put myself in the shoes of a general manager, pushing for more possibilities, and testing my thoughts with my study group members. I found the training from our AGM class extremely helpful during the interview process. In almost every class at Tuck, you can always ask yourself “what else?” when the professor raises a question. You practice to speak concisely and logically, and learn different perspectives from your classmates.

This may sound nerdy but you can also practice while you are travelling. I visited Cuba during the winter break and had an amazing time there. Cuba has two different currencies. I found that interesting and learned more about its monetary system while talking with taxi drivers. I came to understand that it’s very similar to China when it was still in the planned economy stage despite that “coupons” are used to purchase everyday goods. You always get a chance to ask “why?” when you are in a different country or experiencing something new. Follow your curiosity and you will find it extremely rewarding!

The CDO is a great resource to turn to for a consulting interview.

Tuck’s Career Development Office (CDO) was a huge help throughout the process. I turned to Stephen Pidgeon—associate director of the CDO and a former McKinsey consultant—for resume and cover letter advice, office selection strategy, interview preparation tips, alumni who I could reach out to, and of course, lots of casing!

Arrange your appointments early and try to make your mistakes before the real interviews. I once wrote 1,100 as 1,000,100 during a mock case with Stephen because I pushed myself too hard to do well in mock interviews. Relax and enjoy the process of casing. Make it conversational. Ask for advice. Mark your improvements. You may be surprised to see how you progress.

Never panic during the interview and always ask for help.

During my interview with BCG, I had a graph with two hand drawn lines in front of me: an upward investment curve, and a downward ROI curve. This was what happened to the petrochemical industry in China in the past five years. My case prompt was to analyze why this happened and predict what the trend of these curves would look like in the future.

This is the most ambiguous case I have ever encountered! I tried to do some “standard stuff” at first, but was cut off by the interviewer. I knew frameworks and calculations wouldn’t help me this time. I listed out my hypotheses and tested my thoughts with him. We were literally discussing the case. When I finished the case, he told me that I did a pretty good job. That was NOT AT ALL how I felt during the process.

• I had several key takeaways from this experience:
  • It is very likely that you will receive a case prompt that you have never received before. Try to relax and remain calm—trust your business judgment.
  • In consulting interviews, or in business in general, there is no simple right or wrong answer. What’s important is to voice out your opinion, back yourself up with evidence, and act confidently.
  • When you get stuck, ask the right questions. Interviewers are supposed to help you get there.

Getting a job in consulting isn’t easy, but it is also not really hard. Practice whenever you can, leverage resources such as the CDO, and be confident in the interviews. You will get what you want!

Photo above by Laura DeCapua.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: A Diverse Student Body

Tuck draws students from all walks of life. Our goal is to create a community in which diversity is accepted and celebrated. At Tuck, diversity means encouraging and including each person's ideas, perspectives, and life experiences. There are a number of organizations at Tuck specifically designed to celebrate this diversity as well as two student-run conferences. We also offer several resources for women and underrepresented applicants. The following post was originally published by Dia Draper, former Associate Director of Admissions and current Associate Director of Strategic Initiatives for the MBA Program.

One of my favorite things about working at Tuck is how diverse our student body is. For all the things that Tuck may not be (urban, large, surrounded by corporations), one thing we definitely do well is create and nurture a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds, contributions and interests.

I am particularly fond of the fact that some people who thought they were "too old" for a full-time MBA are now alum, or current students. Some of my closest friendships have been with these folks (some of whom call themselves the "silverbacks") and it is gratifying to see them not only survive at Tuck, but to see how they thrive here. The contributions these women and men can make due to their maturity, life experience, genial natures and desire to mentor and guide their peers is inarticulable. It is one of the components of Tuck that you can't really describe, but you can certainly feel about the place.

One of our recent students entered in his 40's and has had (his words, not mine) "the time of my life", he said to me yesterday "Tuck does an even better job preparing us for the next level than they even think they're doing. My worst option was to return to my old [fortune 500] employer, even better armed than before I left. Now, I'm headed to a great investment management firm which was all I wanted." And he has had more of an impact on his class and the two classes below him than any other young alum I've seen (my words, not his).

We have students in their mid to late 30's, and students as young as 25 who will benefit from their wisdom, and hopefully value the opportunity to learn from their successes and challenges. As an MBA program we are committed to supporting the whole person, we are committed to enhancing the entire experience, we are committed to maximizing our students strengths while helping them address their areas for improvement. And that type of support doesn't get old no matter how many years you've rotated around the sun.

ADMISSIONS TIP: Age is not a factor we consider during the admissions process. However, if you feel like you're either quite a bit above or quite a bit below the average years of work experience, make sure you clearly articulate the quality of your experience, why an MBA is needed at this point in your career, and how you will contribute.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
newsTuck wrote:
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: A Diverse Student Body

Tuck draws students from all walks of life. Our goal is to create a community in which diversity is accepted and celebrated. At Tuck, diversity means encouraging and including each person's ideas, perspectives, and life experiences. There are a number of organizations at Tuck specifically designed to celebrate this diversity as well as two student-run conferences. We also offer several resources for women and underrepresented applicants. The following post was originally published by Dia Draper, former Associate Director of Admissions and current Associate Director of Strategic Initiatives for the MBA Program.

One of my favorite things about working at Tuck is how diverse our student body is. For all the things that Tuck may not be (urban, large, surrounded by corporations), one thing we definitely do well is create and nurture a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds, contributions and interests.

I am particularly fond of the fact that some people who thought they were "too old" for a full-time MBA are now alum, or current students. Some of my closest friendships have been with these folks (some of whom call themselves the "silverbacks") and it is gratifying to see them not only survive at Tuck, but to see how they thrive here. The contributions these women and men can make due to their maturity, life experience, genial natures and desire to mentor and guide their peers is inarticulable. It is one of the components of Tuck that you can't really describe, but you can certainly feel about the place.

One of our recent students entered in his 40's and has had (his words, not mine) "the time of my life", he said to me yesterday "Tuck does an even better job preparing us for the next level than they even think they're doing. My worst option was to return to my old [fortune 500] employer, even better armed than before I left. Now, I'm headed to a great investment management firm which was all I wanted." And he has had more of an impact on his class and the two classes below him than any other young alum I've seen (my words, not his).

We have students in their mid to late 30's, and students as young as 25 who will benefit from their wisdom, and hopefully value the opportunity to learn from their successes and challenges. As an MBA program we are committed to supporting the whole person, we are committed to enhancing the entire experience, we are committed to maximizing our students strengths while helping them address their areas for improvement. And that type of support doesn't get old no matter how many years you've rotated around the sun.

ADMISSIONS TIP: Age is not a factor we consider during the admissions process. However, if you feel like you're either quite a bit above or quite a bit below the average years of work experience, make sure you clearly articulate the quality of your experience, why an MBA is needed at this point in your career, and how you will contribute.

Lol, Tuck's AdCom just said, "how do you like these apples, greerwest?"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Whoever at Tuck decided to post that now touche' your timing is impeccable. I am having a great laugh right now. Thank you for a good start to my day. This might be one of the funniest posts I have seen on GMATClub yet.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
All those who have been interviewed in Jan Round.
Have your application status changed after the interview? Mine still says "Submitted"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I interviewed in the Jan round - no change in application status. I suppose it will happen (or not) on March 13th.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:
All those who have been interviewed in Jan Round.
Have your application status changed after the interview? Mine still says "Submitted"

The status remains 'submitted' even after you have interviewed. Don't worry too much about it. I do hope you did receive a mail which said the Admissions Committee has all of your application material to review your application.They will mail you in case something is missing. If you have any doubts do mail the Adcom. Tuck has the friendliest staff on the Adcom and I can vouch for that!
Good luck with the process! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Anyone from Brazil invited to interview? My R2 application still under review. Is it normal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
[q

Originally posted by greerwest on 04 Mar 2015, 12:30.
Last edited by greerwest on 26 Feb 2016, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts