Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 10:02 It is currently 07 May 2024, 10:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621924 [7]
Given Kudos: 81783
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32333 [0]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
2n denotes an even integer when n is an integer. So 2n-1 and 2n+3 are two odd integers. Looking at the answer choices II. is out of place since it's a multiple of two.

Answer is D.

hi gmat6nplus1,

it is very important to answer the question very deliberately pertaining to a variable....
please remember ,it can take a value of a fraction, integer , 0 ,-ive or +ive unless specified otherwise...
here we are trying to find 'atleast' so we look for any value which can satisfy the given properties..
remember 2n is not even when n =19/2.. (2n-1)=18... so ll is satisfied..
l and lll is satisfied by integer values and ll by fraction..

any value is possible with (2n-1)(2n+3)..
ans E

Hey chetan2u, you're right. I misread that n was an integer, my brain did all the rest :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of [#permalink]
the answer is E
where N could be any positive number, negative number or zero
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621924 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of the sequence defined by \(b_n = (2n - 1)(2n + 3)\)

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all, if n = 8, then \(b_8 = (16 - 1)(16 + 3) = 15*19\)

We don’t have to calculate that: clearly, whatever it is, it is divisible by 15. Similarly, if n = 12, then \(b_{12} = (24 - 1)(24 + 3) = 23*27\)

Whatever that equals, it must be divisible by 27. Thus, I & III are true. Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even, so both (2n – 1) and (2n + 3) are odd numbers, and their product must be odd. Every term in this sequence is an odd number. Now, no odd number can be divisible by an even number, because there is no factor of 2 in the odd number. Therefore, no terms could possibly be divisible by 18. Statement II is absolutely not true.

Answer = (D).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1756 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of the sequence defined by \(b_n = (2n - 1)(2n + 3)\)

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

We don’t have to calculate that: clearly, whatever it is, it is divisible by 15. Similarly, if n = 12, then \(b_{12} = (24 - 1)(24 + 3) = 23*27\)

Whatever that equals, it must be divisible by 27. Thus, I & III are true. Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even, so both (2n – 1) and (2n + 3) are odd numbers, and their product must be odd. Every term in this sequence is an odd number. Now, no odd number can be divisible by an even number, because there is no factor of 2 in the odd number. Therefore, no terms could possibly be divisible by 18. Statement II is absolutely not true.

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at \(N= \frac{1}{2}\) 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 21 Mar 2015, 09:00.
Last edited by Lucky2783 on 21 Mar 2015, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621924 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at N= 1/2 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

\(b_n\) is n-th term in the sequence, so n must be an integer.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32333 [0]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at N= 1/2 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

hi lucky,
although i too thought the same but i think since bn is a term in a sequence so n has to be an integer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
\(b_n\) is n-th term in the sequence, so n must be an integer.[/quote]

i see. thanks Bunuel .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
hi lucky,
although i too thought the same but i think since bn is a term in a sequence so n has to be an integer

yeah , we have to be very careful in reading the question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Sequence questions are always based on a pattern of some kind, but there might be more to the pattern than you might initially realize. It often helps to "map out" the first few terms in a sequence question, so you can "see" the numbers and spot any hidden patterns involved.

Here, we're given the 'equation' for the sequence: bN = (2N-1)(2N+3) where N is the Nth term in the sequence....

1st term = (2-1)(2+3) = (1)(5) = 5
2nd term = (4-1)(4+3) = (3)(7) = 21
3rd term = (6-1)(6+3) = (5)(9) = 45
4th term = (8-1)(8+3) = (7)(11) = 77
Etc.

From this, we can deduce a number of details:
1) EVERY term will be an ODD INTEGER
2) The sequence of "products" will work through EVERY positive odd integer (notice the 1, the 3, the 5, the 7, etc).

This helps us to prove that Roman Numerals I and III COULD be true and that II is false.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

since it's a COULD be and not a MUST be true question...we can find ways for I and III to work.
look at the sequence..we have 2 odd numbers multiplied. since neither of them has a factor of 2, we can eliminate choices with II right away - B, C, and E - out.

now..
for (2n-1)(2n+3), we can find values so that it would be divisible by 15 and by 27
suppose 2n+3=15. 2n=12. n=6
(12-1)(12+3)=11*15 - so yes, possible

suppose 2n+3=27
2n=24
n=12
(24-1)(24+3)=23x27 - so yes, possible.

D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 833 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
Hi Magoosh Team ,

thanks
lucky

Could n be a negative integer? May not be, I think.:suspect
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621924 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
Hi Magoosh Team ,

thanks
lucky

Could n be a negative integer? May not be, I think.:suspect

n is an index number which indicates the position of the term in the sequence, it cannot be negative.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1346 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

even-1=15, even=16 (possible)
even-1=18, even=19; or even+3=18, even=15 (not possible)
even-1=27, even=28 (possible)

Ans (D)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 827 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93078 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts