GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:50) correct 40% (01:44) wrong based on 154 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of the sequence defined by \(b_n = (2n - 1)(2n + 3)\)

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Kudos for a correct solution.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 07:50
2n denotes an even integer when n is an integer. So 2n-1 and 2n+3 are two odd integers. Looking at the answer choices II. is out of place since it's a multiple of two.

Answer is D.

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

Math Expert
V
Re: Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 09:01
gmat6nplus1 wrote:
2n denotes an even integer when n is an integer. So 2n-1 and 2n+3 are two odd integers. Looking at the answer choices II. is out of place since it's a multiple of two.

Answer is D.

hi gmat6nplus1,

it is very important to answer the question very deliberately pertaining to a variable....
please remember ,it can take a value of a fraction, integer , 0 ,-ive or +ive unless specified otherwise...
here we are trying to find 'atleast' so we look for any value which can satisfy the given properties..
remember 2n is not even when n =19/2.. (2n-1)=18... so ll is satisfied..
l and lll is satisfied by integer values and ll by fraction..

any value is possible with (2n-1)(2n+3)..
ans E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 01:00
chetan2u wrote:
gmat6nplus1 wrote:

Answer is D.

hi gmat6nplus1,

it is very important to answer the question very deliberately pertaining to a variable....
please remember ,it can take a value of a fraction, integer , 0 ,-ive or +ive unless specified otherwise...
here we are trying to find 'atleast' so we look for any value which can satisfy the given properties..
remember 2n is not even when n =19/2.. (2n-1)=18... so ll is satisfied..
l and lll is satisfied by integer values and ll by fraction..

any value is possible with (2n-1)(2n+3)..
ans E

Hey chetan2u, you're right. I misread that n was an integer, my brain did all the rest :)

learn the rules of the game, then play better than anyone else.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Education (Education)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 06:32
the answer is E
where N could be any positive number, negative number or zero

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2015, 21:56
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of the sequence defined by \(b_n = (2n - 1)(2n + 3)\)

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all, if n = 8, then \(b_8 = (16 - 1)(16 + 3) = 15*19\)

We don’t have to calculate that: clearly, whatever it is, it is divisible by 15. Similarly, if n = 12, then \(b_{12} = (24 - 1)(24 + 3) = 23*27\)

Whatever that equals, it must be divisible by 27. Thus, I & III are true. Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even, so both (2n – 1) and (2n + 3) are odd numbers, and their product must be odd. Every term in this sequence is an odd number. Now, no odd number can be divisible by an even number, because there is no factor of 2 in the odd number. Therefore, no terms could possibly be divisible by 18. Statement II is absolutely not true.

Answer = (D).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Mar 2015, 09:10
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

We don’t have to calculate that: clearly, whatever it is, it is divisible by 15. Similarly, if n = 12, then \(b_{12} = (24 - 1)(24 + 3) = 23*27\)

Whatever that equals, it must be divisible by 27. Thus, I & III are true. Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even, so both (2n – 1) and (2n + 3) are odd numbers, and their product must be odd. Every term in this sequence is an odd number. Now, no odd number can be divisible by an even number, because there is no factor of 2 in the odd number. Therefore, no terms could possibly be divisible by 18. Statement II is absolutely not true.

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at \(N= \frac{1}{2}\) 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

Thanks,
Lucky

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 21 Mar 2015, 09:00.
Last edited by Lucky2783 on 21 Mar 2015, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 09:04
Lucky2783 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at N= 1/2 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

\(b_n\) is n-th term in the sequence, so n must be an integer.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 09:07
Lucky2783 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

Answer = (D).

Hi Magoosh Team ,
The question stem does not say that N is an integer . (snippet from official explaination : ' Notice that, for any integer, 2n must be even' ) i think the question is not complete. for example at N= 1/2 15,27,18 or any other number will be able to divide \(b_n = (2n-1)*(2n+3)\)

thanks
lucky

hi lucky,
although i too thought the same but i think since bn is a term in a sequence so n has to be an integer

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 09:12
\(b_n\) is n-th term in the sequence, so n must be an integer.[/quote]

i see. thanks Bunuel .

Thanks,
Lucky

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 09:15
chetan2u wrote:
hi lucky,
although i too thought the same but i think since bn is a term in a sequence so n has to be an integer

yeah , we have to be very careful in reading the question.

Thanks,
Lucky

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 11:44
Hi All,

Sequence questions are always based on a pattern of some kind, but there might be more to the pattern than you might initially realize. It often helps to "map out" the first few terms in a sequence question, so you can "see" the numbers and spot any hidden patterns involved.

Here, we're given the 'equation' for the sequence: bN = (2N-1)(2N+3) where N is the Nth term in the sequence....

1st term = (2-1)(2+3) = (1)(5) = 5
2nd term = (4-1)(4+3) = (3)(7) = 21
3rd term = (6-1)(6+3) = (5)(9) = 45
4th term = (8-1)(8+3) = (7)(11) = 77
Etc.

From this, we can deduce a number of details:
1) EVERY term will be an ODD INTEGER
2) The sequence of "products" will work through EVERY positive odd integer (notice the 1, the 3, the 5, the 7, etc).

This helps us to prove that Roman Numerals I and III COULD be true and that II is false.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 20:16
Bunuel wrote:

I. divisible by 15
II. divisible by 18
III. divisible by 27

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and II only
D. D. I and III only
E. I, II, III

since it's a COULD be and not a MUST be true question...we can find ways for I and III to work.
look at the sequence..we have 2 odd numbers multiplied. since neither of them has a factor of 2, we can eliminate choices with II right away - B, C, and E - out.

now..
for (2n-1)(2n+3), we can find values so that it would be divisible by 15 and by 27
suppose 2n+3=15. 2n=12. n=6
(12-1)(12+3)=11*15 - so yes, possible

suppose 2n+3=27
2n=24
n=12
(24-1)(24+3)=23x27 - so yes, possible.

D
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 00:07
Bunuel wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
Hi Magoosh Team ,

thanks
lucky

Could n be a negative integer? May not be, I think.:suspect

Hasan Mahmud

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 00:48
Mahmud6 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:
Hi Magoosh Team ,

thanks
lucky

Could n be a negative integer? May not be, I think.:suspect

n is an index number which indicates the position of the term in the sequence, it cannot be negative.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2017, 00:48

Which of the following could be true of at least some of the terms of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap