Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619307 [36]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619307 [11]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619307 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619307 [7]
Send PM
Re: Overcome GMAT Exam Anxiety [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Beating GMAT Stress

BY MIKE MCGARRY, MAGOOSH

In Overcome GMAT Exam Anxiety: Breathe!, we learned about the breathing and its ability to stimulate the relaxing effects of the SNS, as well as a little about mindfulness, and its ability to reduce stress and enhance your performance. In this post, we are going to take on directly the juggernaut of your stress: viz, your thoughts.

Your Thoughts vs. You

Folks like us, who take tests like the GMAT, are generally successful: we’re college graduates and proficient in careers. Our heads have gotten us far, and that’s great. In a way, though, that’s precisely the problem. There are certain times when we need to think hard about something, but the mind creates thoughts 24/7 regardless of whether thoughts are needed. The mind continuous “secretes” thoughts much as, say, the saliva glands continuously secrete saliva. Not every thought that passes through our heads is true, and in particular, the more charged thoughts often are based on scanty evidence and/or wildly improbable scenarios, and yet these are the ones that can deeply drive our emotions. Often the difference between feeling confident or defeated walking into a situation has to do with the thought-cycle that is spinning at the moment. How does one bring discipline and conscious choice to bear on one’s thoughts?

Creating Space

Just as one can be mindful of one’s body or one’s breath, one can be mindful of one’s thoughts. This means simply watching the thoughts as a stream, as a passing parade. When one feels one’s self starting to get engulfed in the rollercoaster of a particular thought-pattern, one simply steps back and labels it “thought.” By that label, we are not saying it is true or false, simply a thought, no more.

If this is new to you, then at first, it will seem next to impossible. Much more than other forms of mindfulness, mindfulness of thought requires tremendous perseverance and conscientiousness. One might find visualization and related tricks helpful – for example, imagining an unpleasant scene in your head getting smaller and smaller, or imagining turning down the volume on a troubling voice in one’s head. At first, one simply realizes in retrospect, “I had that thought, and then I went on that whole emotional ride when I didn’t have to!” With practice, though, one creates space: space between one’s self and the entrance to the rollercoaster, space to insert a more positive thought — or space simply to be mindful and breathe deeply. Imagine being able to walk into your GMAT with that kind of inner spaciousness! Imagine being able to approach your career like that!

Practice

Moments when the mind is apt to be idle are the best times to put effort into this practice: in the shower, commuting time, standing in line, waiting for an appointment, etc. Of course, the very best practice would be a full-blown daily meditation routine. Many of the stress-reducing benefits of meditation simply have to do with enabling folks no longer to ride the thought rollercoasters they don’t want to ride. In addition to the myriad health and psychological benefits of meditation, such a practice would enable you to approach the GMAT, or any analogous challenge, with one-pointed clarity and balance. If you can commit to daily meditation, you will see some benefits even in the GMAT a month or two away, and you will see more and more benefits in both your personal life and career as the practice deepens over time. Short of developing a full daily mediation practice, if you just practice mindfulness of thoughts consistently, in the odd empty moments of each day, you will make significant progress derailing the thought rollercoasters that don’t serve you, thereby becoming that much more calm and confident at the moments when you need to be “on” — for example, when you take your GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Status:I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul!!
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Overcome GMAT Exam Anxiety [#permalink]