Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 20:38 It is currently 06 May 2024, 20:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1827 [39]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
When you have such doubts, take the replacement test.

Original C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

Modified: 1.the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that the zoo specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
Modified: 2. the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that the environment specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
Which is more logical now? You can see there is no need for any ambiguity doubt. In C, the ‘it’ does refer to the zoo only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently [#permalink]
If its C, can somebody tell me whether is it possible for an adverb- 'currently' to modify gerund-'Housing' ??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15283 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sguptashared wrote:
I agree with most of you that the choice should be C. But here is my doubt about "C":

C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

There are two nouns present in this sentence before second "IT": zoo and environment. Isn't it ambiguous?

Your observation is correct. However please note that a subject pronoun in one clause often refers to a noun in subject position in another clause. In general, subject nouns make strong antecedents for subject pronouns, even when there is another eligible noun in the predicate portion of the other clause. In such cases, the sentence may be accepted as a correct answer although there may be a sight pronoun ambiguity. Nonetheless please ensure that there are other more serious errors in the other answer choices and there is no other problem with the sentence. Hope this explanation helps.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15283 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
snorkeler wrote:
If its C, can somebody tell me whether is it possible for an adverb- 'currently' to modify gerund-'Housing' ??

The main verb of the sentence is is housing. The adverb currently refers to this verb correctly.

Now consider the following two cases:

Case I: modifying a gerund: You may use an adjective to modify a gerund to emphasize the nominal aspect (i.e., it is a noun). e.g., His quick thinking saved the accident.

Case II: modifying a present participle: Alternatively you may use an adverb if you want to modify the action aspect of the present participle. e.g. The horse ran across the field breathing heavily.

In your post, it appears that you meant that a present participle (rather than a gerund) is being modified. In that case, it is alright to use an adverb.

Hope this explanation clarifies your question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42107 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Currently is modifying not just ‘housing’, but ‘is housing’. ‘Is housing’ is a present progressive tense verb. ; So, there is nothing unusual about an adverb modifying the verb within which is it is housed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [3]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Choice C is correct. The modifier "rather than confining the animals to cages" correctly describes the subject "the zoo." Answer choice A incorrectly uses "zoo's lions" as the subject of the opening modifier "rather than confining the animals to cages." This implies that the zoo's lions made the choice not to confine themselves to cages. Answer choice B is incorrect because it uses the wordy and awkward phrases "in which the animals currently live" and "in a mimic of their". Answer choice D incorrectly uses "zoo's lions" as the subject of the opening modifier "rather than confining the animals to cages." This implies that the zoo's lions made the choice not to confine themselves to cages. Answer choice E is incorrect because "zoo" is singular but is matched with "their," a plural pronoun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently [#permalink]
In C, Can anyone please tell me how "its" can be used to refer zoo. Its is plural and zoo is singular.

I am just a beginner, Please help me.

Thanks

sayantanc2k
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3529 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
a12bansal wrote:
In C, Can anyone please tell me how "its" can be used to refer zoo. Its is plural and zoo is singular.

Hi a12bansal, this is the funny thing about it.

it: Singular
its: possessive of singular it
it's: it is

There is no such thing as plural its. It, by very definition, can only refer to a non-person singular.
GMAT Club News PM
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [2]
Given Kudos: 853
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rather than confining the animals to cages, the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.

A) the zoo's lions currently live in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
- 'it' is referring to zoo but zoo is in possession so the usage of it is wrong. Eliminate A

B) the zoo designed a special environment for its lions in which the animals currently live in a mimic of their natural habitat.
- the usage of 'their' jumps out of the sentence. It can refer to lions or animals. Pronoun error. Eliminate B

C) the zoo is currently housing its lions in an environment that it specially designed to mimic their natural habitat.
- nice and clean use of pronouns. As per the meaning, 'Rather than confining the animals to cages' correctly modifies zoo. Keep C

D) the zoo's lions currently live in a special environment that the zoo designed to mimic their natural habitat.
- no issue with the grammar. But as per the meaning, 'Rather than confining the animals to cages' is modifying zoo's lions and that doesn't make any sense. Eliminate D

E) the zoo currently houses their lions in a special environment designed to mimic their natural habitat.
- Again the usage of 'their' jumps out of the sentence. It is referring to zoo but zoo is singular and that usage is wrong. Eliminate E.

Option C is our winner!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
in C] how do I visualize that present progressive tense - 'is housing' is used correctly.

do we day that ''confining'' and ''housing'' are parallel.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in C] how do I visualize that present progressive tense - 'is housing' is used correctly.

That's the default tense to use for action verbs that are true/happening at the present (narrated) time.

Quote:

Yes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RonTargetTestPrep

isn't 'Rather than confining the animals to cages' an appositive phrase or a verbless clause

I think of it as 'Rather than X, Y''
X:confining
Y: Zoo is housing

How do I consider X and Y parallel?

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:

That's the default tense to use for action verbs that are true/happening at the present (narrated) time.

Quote:

Yes.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
RonTargetTestPrep

isn't 'Rather than confining the animals to cages' an appositive phrase or a verbless clause

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:

Quote:

Yes.

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "Rather than confining the animals to cages" is actually an adverbial phrase that acts upon the action "is currently housing".

It cannot be an appositive, as appositives are always noun phrases that explain or identify the noun they modify.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ExpertsGlobal5

Hello himanshu0123,

To answer your query, "Rather than confining the animals to cages" is actually an adverbial phrase that acts upon the action "is currently housing".

It cannot be an appositive, as appositives are always noun phrases that explain or identify the noun they modify.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team[/quote]
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4684 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
@ExpertsGlobal5

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
[/quote]

Hello himanshu0123,

To answer your query, since "Rather than..." serves as a modifier here, we do not need to maintain parallelism.

For example, "Although damaged, my phone still works well."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

isn't ' although damaged' a verbless clause.

can we say the same for 'Rather than...' used here? How we will write the full clause.

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
himanshu0123 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hello himanshu0123,

To answer your query, since "Rather than..." serves as a modifier here, we do not need to maintain parallelism.

For example, "Although damaged, my phone still works well."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team[/quote]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 egmat GMATCoachBen

OA is option C
Can I eliminate option B on the basis of logic that “the zoo designed a special environment for its lions” …here zoo is doing the designing part, i.e inanimate object doing humanly thing and hence gives wrong meaning. If yes, then for C, isn’t it wrongly implying that zoo – an inanimate body – designed the environment? Read as “ ….. lion in an environment that it (zoo) specially designed (past tense verb)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts