Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:10 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: President Clinton spent significant money on the No Child [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The critical point to note here is that, it is neither Clinton who led to a boom, nor the program; it is the combination of Clinton and his spending on the program that led to the boom. The modifier ‘leading’ does therefore fit in with the theme. Therefore, C is good enough; Of course, all the other four choices indulge in blatant abuse of the relative pronoun ‘which’ and therefore turn unacceptable
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Dinesh2Apr wrote:
Meaning :- President Clinton spent significant money on a program. the program did 2 things
a. led to a boom in school contr. ind
b. added thousands of jobs

Error Analysis :- which correctly modifies the program, but the 'and also..' can mean that President Clinton spent and President Clinton Added. Need a second which to correctly modify the program - parallelism error.

Option A :- Explained
Option B :- Uses correct idiom, not only - but also to modify program - Correct Answer
Option C :- the verb-ing modifier leading and adding now describe the effects of the preceding clause and does not modify program
Option D :- The school construction industry did not add jobs for teachers, the program did. Also similar verb-ing modifier error and in C
Option E :- Similar verb-ing modifier error as in C and also 'the construction industry of school' is wordy than 'the school construction industry'.

IMO :- B

You ignore the use of "Which".
When there is "," before "which", which should modify the prior noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
egmat wrote:
President Clinton spent significant money on the “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added thousands of jobs for teachers and support staff.

A. which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added
B. which not only led to a boom in the school construction industry, but also added
C. not only leading to a boom in the school construction industry but also adding
D. leading to a boom in the school construction industry, which also added
E. leading to a boom in the construction industry of school, which added

Regards,

Payal

Hi egmat
This is a great question. I chose C hesitantly. My confusion lies in choosing between B and C.

In my opinion, both B and C are grammatically correct(with a subtle difference in meaning). I am studying from the material I purchased from you, so you may be able to relate better to my questions :-) . Please help with my analysis

Option C
I have absolutely no problem with C's grammatical correctness as it uses Verb-ing Modifier correctly to specify the result of an action in the clause.

Intended Meaning
This option implies that the SPENDING of the money on the program led to the boom in the school construction industry and the creation of jobs.

Option B

Grammar
I remember that a "which" can modify a slightly far away noun if the structure demands so. I hope you remember that this particular concept is taught in one of your concept files presented as an article. The justification for something coming in the middle of the Modified Entity and the Modifier is that what comes in between the two cannot be effectively placed anywhere else in the sentence. As per this, I think that Option B is grammatically correct and modifies "No Child Left Behind" program.

Intended Meaning
This option implies that thePROGRAM led to the boom in the school construction industry and the creation of jobs.
This also makes sense in my opinion. The change in meaning here shifts only from the "spending on the program" to the "program itself". In my opinion, both have too close a meaning to be considered different. :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
nintso wrote:
Hi,

I still have doubts about choice C. I chose choice B, because I thought that "which" modifier correctly modifies "No Child Left Behind" program. We know that "which" modifiers are noun modifiers and they can modify nouns or noun phases even slightly far away. However, "which" modifiers can not jump over the entire clause, in other words "which" modifier can not refer to "noun 1" in a construction like "noun 1 + verb + noun 2, which". But in this sentence, we don't have such a construction, we have noun phase “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, and "which" modifier may correctly refer to this entity. As for the meaning, as far as I understand, the program itself was what led to a boom in school construction industry and added jobs. Thus, the meaning of Choice B seams correct as well.

As for choice C, "comma+verb-ing" modifier modifies preceding clause and attaches to the subject of the clause, the subject and the "verb-ing" modifier should make sense together. However, if we look at the entire sentence, we can derive meaning that President Clinton led to a boom in school construction industry. On the other hand, I think it was not the President who led to a boom, but the "No Child Left Behind" program (supported by the President) which led the boom in the industry.

Please correct me if my understanding of "which modifiers" and "verb-ing" modifiers is wrong. Also, if E-GMAT could elaborate on these subjects, it would be very helpful for me (and maybe for other students who have similar doubts).

Thanks

Similar doubt egmat , its President's action of spending on "No Child Left Behind" that lead to boom in the school construction industry and added thousands of jobs and not the president lead to boom in the school construction industry and added thousands of job .

I believe a noun + noun modifier that modifies this action of spending by President makes much more sense here .

Eg.
President Clinton spent significant money on the “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, an act/a policy that lead to a boom in the school construction industry and that added thousands of jobs for teachers and support staff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Here Which can not refer to program?
This new added program led to..... X and Y
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts