It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

President Clinton spent significant money on the No Child

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 174

WE: Other (Retail Banking)
Re: President Clinton spent significant money on the No Child [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 14:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I still have doubts about choice C. I chose choice B, because I thought that "which" modifier correctly modifies "No Child Left Behind" program. We know that "which" modifiers are noun modifiers and they can modify nouns or noun phases even slightly far away. However, "which" modifiers can not jump over the entire clause, in other words "which" modifier can not refer to "noun 1" in a construction like "noun 1 + verb + noun 2, which". But in this sentence, we don't have such a construction, we have noun phase “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, and "which" modifier may correctly refer to this entity. As for the meaning, as far as I understand, the program itself was what led to a boom in school construction industry and added jobs. Thus, the meaning of Choice B seams correct as well.

As for choice C, "comma+verb-ing" modifier modifies preceding clause and attaches to the subject of the clause, the subject and the "verb-ing" modifier should make sense together. However, if we look at the entire sentence, we can derive meaning that President Clinton led to a boom in school construction industry. On the other hand, I think it was not the President who led to a boom, but the "No Child Left Behind" program (supported by the President) which led the boom in the industry.

Please correct me if my understanding of "which modifiers" and "verb-ing" modifiers is wrong. Also, if E-GMAT could elaborate on these subjects, it would be very helpful for me (and maybe for other students who have similar doubts).

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 174

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2015, 20:17
[quote="egmat"]President Clinton spent significant money on the “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added thousands of jobs for teachers and support staff.

A. which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added
B. which not only led to a boom in the school construction industry, but also added
C. not only leading to a boom in the school construction industry but also adding
D. leading to a boom in the school construction industry, which also added
E. leading to a boom in the construction industry of school, which added

in A and B, which has not antecedent. wrong. "which" which is used to refer to previous action in main clause is wrong

between C and D
in D, which can grammatically refer to boom, but this is not logic. boom in construction can not make job for teachers/student

so leading can modify the spent.

D is correct

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 06:04
Ok, this was a good question and I learned to watch out for what "which" is modifying, however, for me the primary lesson is not to bring outside information into a question- even the most obvious kind.
It was driving me crazy because President Bush, not President Clinton, proposed, signed into law in 2002 and spent significant money on the No Child Left Behind Act. I know this is totally unrelated to the SC issue we are learning, but every time I had to re-read the question to analyze it, I got distracted! I must say though that it was good practice to keep telling myself not to bring in outside information no matter how accurate and just concentrate on the grammar, however difficult.
~Jan

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 11:45
thangvietnam wrote:
egmat wrote:
President Clinton spent significant money on the “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added thousands of jobs for teachers and support staff.

B. which not only led to a boom in the school construction industry, but also added
C. not only leading to a boom in the school construction industry but also adding

in A and B, which has not antecedent. wrong. "which" which is used to refer to previous action in main clause is wrong

between C and D
in D, which can grammatically refer to boom, but this is not logic. boom in construction can not make job for teachers/student

so leading can modify the spent.

D is correct

thangvietnam

Except present participle modifier (modifier starting with verb-ing), the modifier touch rule applies to most cases - i.e., a modifier should touch the noun it modifies. However a present participle modifier may refer to an entire clause or the subject of the preceding clause. In this question, the various modifiers starting with "which" wrongly refer to the respective nouns they touch:
A. which wrongly refers to country.
B. which wrongly refers to country.
D. which wrongly refers to industry.
E. which wrongly refers to school.

Only in option C 2 parallel present participle modifiers are used (leading to... and adding... ) - these 2 modifiers correctly refer to the entire preceding clause President Clinton spent .... districts throughout the country

Kudos [?]: 3522 [0], given: 22

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8199 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 08:05
The critical point to note here is that, it is neither Clinton who led to a boom, nor the program; it is the combination of Clinton and his spending on the program that led to the boom. The modifier ‘leading’ does therefore fit in with the theme. Therefore, C is good enough; Of course, all the other four choices indulge in blatant abuse of the relative pronoun ‘which’ and therefore turn unacceptable

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8199 [0], given: 364

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2016, 04:43
Dinesh2Apr wrote:
Meaning :- President Clinton spent significant money on a program. the program did 2 things
a. led to a boom in school contr. ind
b. added thousands of jobs

Error Analysis :- which correctly modifies the program, but the 'and also..' can mean that President Clinton spent and President Clinton Added. Need a second which to correctly modify the program - parallelism error.

Option A :- Explained
Option B :- Uses correct idiom, not only - but also to modify program - Correct Answer
Option C :- the verb-ing modifier leading and adding now describe the effects of the preceding clause and does not modify program
Option D :- The school construction industry did not add jobs for teachers, the program did. Also similar verb-ing modifier error and in C
Option E :- Similar verb-ing modifier error as in C and also 'the construction industry of school' is wordy than 'the school construction industry'.

IMO :- B

You ignore the use of "Which".
When there is "," before "which", which should modify the prior noun.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 856

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 02:19
egmat wrote:
President Clinton spent significant money on the “No Child Left Behind” program in several school districts throughout the country, which led to a boom in the school construction industry and also added thousands of jobs for teachers and support staff.

Regards,

Payal

Hi egmat
This is a great question. I chose C hesitantly. My confusion lies in choosing between B and C.

In my opinion, both B and C are grammatically correct(with a subtle difference in meaning). I am studying from the material I purchased from you, so you may be able to relate better to my questions :-) . Please help with my analysis

Option C
I have absolutely no problem with C's grammatical correctness as it uses Verb-ing Modifier correctly to specify the result of an action in the clause.

Intended Meaning
This option implies that the SPENDING of the money on the program led to the boom in the school construction industry and the creation of jobs.

Option B

Grammar
I remember that a "which" can modify a slightly far away noun if the structure demands so. I hope you remember that this particular concept is taught in one of your concept files presented as an article. The justification for something coming in the middle of the Modified Entity and the Modifier is that what comes in between the two cannot be effectively placed anywhere else in the sentence. As per this, I think that Option B is grammatically correct and modifies "No Child Left Behind" program.

Intended Meaning
This option implies that thePROGRAM led to the boom in the school construction industry and the creation of jobs.
This also makes sense in my opinion. The change in meaning here shifts only from the "spending on the program" to the "program itself". In my opinion, both have too close a meaning to be considered different. :?

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 856

Re: President Clinton spent significant money on the No Child   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 02:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

President Clinton spent significant money on the No Child

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap