Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [125]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [40]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [32]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [28]
Send PM
Re: Prof Liu gave the same quiz to the students in her morning class and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ram025 wrote:
X- no.in mrng class
Y- no. in aftn class
Equation be- 80X + 86Y =168
now you know which is greater. You need both [ C]

hi
just a point..
the equation will be..
\(80x + 86y = 84(x+y)..\)
and from this you can get the ratio of number of students in two classes..
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [15]
Send PM
Re: Prof Liu gave the same quiz to the students in her morning class and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This was my soln: need to confirm :

Soln :

80 ——— 84 ——86

Since the final avg is more towards the aft class avg, more students should be present in aft class. Hence ans is C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Send PM
Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
X- no.in mrng class
Y- no. in aftn class
Equation be- 80X + 86Y =168
now you know which is greater. You need both [ C]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Send PM
Hi Chetan, thanks for the explanation is very useful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I chose (E), My rationale:
1) clearly insuff. Only info about morning class
2) clearly insuff. Only info about afternoon class
1/2) Insuff to determine the number of students in each class because I assumed the average scores could just be results of a majority of the class doing better/worse and not give any info about the actual number of students in each class.

Can someone please help explain how much logic if flawed?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE:Education (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
bjohnson1392 wrote:
I chose (E), My rationale:
1) clearly insuff. Only info about morning class
2) clearly insuff. Only info about afternoon class
1/2) Insuff to determine the number of students in each class because I assumed the average scores could just be results of a majority of the class doing better/worse and not give any info about the actual number of students in each class.

Can someone please help explain how much logic if flawed?

bjohnson1392
Even if majority of students score better, the average still did not exceed 86 which is closer to the mean average of both class
Let's assume
Class A average = 40 among 5 students so assume \(A={40,40,40,40,40}\)
Class A average remains 40 if 1 student gets 80 and \(A={20,20,30,40,90}\)

In the question the average of both classes didn't deviate much, the majority of students in both classes must have scored within the mean of either of the classes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V33
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks in advance

Hi aniket,

you are correct that the average is closer to the higher quantity..

this is weighted average method and you can even find the ratio of two items..
Morning class/ evening class = \(\frac{(86-84)}{(84-80)} = \frac{2}{4} = \frac{1}{2}\)....
so evening class will have two times the morning class

Chetan Based on your explanation. This is what the solution should be. It looks like you have the morning and evening numbers inverted in your original calc
Morning class/ evening class = \(\frac{(84-80)}{(86-84)} = \frac{4}{2} = \frac{2}{1}\)....

Based on the calc above it shows morning class will have two times the evening class. I don't think that is the correct solution here. I am aware that the average moves toward the item with higher qty.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
KD25 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks in advance

Hi aniket,

you are correct that the average is closer to the higher quantity..

this is weighted average method and you can even find the ratio of two items..
Morning class/ evening class = \(\frac{(86-84)}{(84-80)} = \frac{2}{4} = \frac{1}{2}\)....
so evening class will have two times the morning class

Chetan Based on your explanation. This is what the solution should be. It looks like you have the morning and evening numbers inverted in your original calc
Morning class/ evening class = \(\frac{(84-80)}{(86-84)} = \frac{4}{2} = \frac{2}{1}\)....

Based on the calc above it shows morning class will have two times the evening class. I don't think that is the correct solution here. I am aware that the average moves toward the item with higher qty.

Hi....
No it's correct the way I have written...
Average of morning is 80 and average of afternoon is 86
Overall average is 84..

The morning/evening will be (evening average-average)/(average-morning average) =(86-84)/(84-80)=2/4
There have to be more of the item that is closer to average..
Here 84 is closer 86 so items of 86 will be more than those of 80.

KD25 in response to your post below..

say in a test girls average is 80, and boys average is 50... class average is 70..
now if I dont have boys, the class average is 80 itself , same as that of girls..
so what is the average of boys doing - IT is getting the average of class from 80 to 70
and similarly average of girls is bringing the class average up from 50 to 70..
this is the reason the RATIO depends on the opposite element..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 530 Q36 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V33
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
The part that I am not getting is if the ratio says Morning/Evening = (evening average-average)/(average-morning average) ----> why are you subtracting the evening part in the numerator, even though it corresponds to the morning students ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [4]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Kudos